Old June 18th 16, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [W2LJ] A Tip o' the Hat

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

A Tip o' the Hat

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

I really have to extend a hearty "tip o' the hat" to all you QRP SSB guys
out there. Not being used to SSB operations, not being used to QRP SSB
operations has provided me with a learning experience. In your writer's
most humble opinion, QRP SSB has a difficulty factor of 10X compared to QRP
CW.

Today during lunch time, I was hunting around for NPOTA stations on 20
Meters. Not hearing anything on the CW bands, I moved on up to the realm
of voice - foreign territory, indeed!. There I heard two stations. K0USA
on 14.260 MHz and K0RP on 14.340 MHz. K0RP was very weak, with QSB making
it worse. K0USA was a good 5X5 into NJ and even 5X7 when QSB would let up.
I decided to concentrate on Mary, who was the op behind the mic. It took
the better of 15 minutes, but I got in the log - and it was a new one for
me, MN46, the Homestead National Historical Monument in Nebraska.

For her part, Mary did a superb job dealing with my weak signal. Only 5
Watts to the Buddistick has gotten me decent results on SSB in the past,
but today, with the monstrous QSB, it was their beam (which was pointed
south, by the way - I was off the side) and her great ears that made the
difference. I owe her a ton of gratitude for sticking with me and granting
me the ATNO.

Getting back to the topic of SSB vs CW ..... I'm pretty confident in my CW
skills. From past practise, it's pretty easy for me to gauge who is
workable and who isn't. I still get surprised from time to time; but I've
gotten pretty good at figuring out who I am able work and who I am not..

QRP SSB is still a crap shoot for me. Like I stated, it's foreign
territory. To make things even worse, shall we say that patience is
a "hard won virtue" for me? Living in New Jersey all my life, I'm used to
the fast pace of the Northeast. Things, especially at work, are wanted
yesterday. I'm used to dealing with that, and delivering those kind of
fast results. The downside is, that I've come to expect that, in return.
Waiting is still a battle for me. Not in all situations, but in many -
especially when I am dealing with myself.

QRP SSB is an extra hard challenge for me and will be for quite a while.
The upside is hopefully, I'll become more skilled at it; and I'll also gain
more patience, because of it..

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!