Old August 1st 16, 03:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KE9V] PiRLP3

Perturbation

PiRLP3

https://ke9v.net/2016/07/30/pirlp3/

Ive long been a fan of IRLP having built my first node in 2003. Despite
having gear and access to both DMR and D-STAR, theÂ*Internet Radio Linking
ProjectÂ*is what brings me hours of radio enjoyment. I just like FM. By
comparison, the digital modes leave me feeling cold, like I’m speaking with
Siri on an iPhone.

Long before I went QRT on HF, time spent in casual conversation was always
via IRLP. HF was little more than contests, sprints, paperwork, and chasing
things. Whenever I wanted to kick back and enjoy a long rag chew, I used
IRLP.Â*It’s a more noble method of communication than mobs yelling over each
other trying to bust a pile-up.

My first node was built on an old PC that someone from work intended to
toss in the dumpster. That served me well for several years until I
replaced it in 2006 with a “new” embedded node that I bought directly from
the IRLP project. That has run more or less continuously for the last
decade and though it’s given me no trouble, I thought it high time to
replace it.

So last week I ordered the newest PiRLP node – a design based on the
Raspberry Pi 3. It’s much smaller, consumes less power, and will fit nicely
into my rapidly growing Pi-farm.
PiRLP3 4 x 2.5 x 1.5

All these years I’ve operated IRLP using a simplex UHF node with a
low-profile, intended primarily for my own personal use with a limited
(neighborhood) range. Lately I’ve been kicking around the notion of
installing a 220 repeater at home and integrate IRLP with it to provide
area-wide coverage for myself and others.

The BridgeCom BCR-220 seems reasonably priced and has been well-received
and I’m just guessing that coordination for a system on 220 in East-Central
Indiana wouldn’t be too difficult. I’ve never owned a repeater so there
would be a learning curve but the radio amateur is progressive, eh?

I’ll provide an update once the new PiRLP3 arrives and is placed into
service. In the meantime, you can reach me via IRLP most weekends. My node
is 4212. Ring me up and say “hello” sometime when you get a chance.

TX Factor 12

https://ke9v.net/2016/07/30/tx-factor-12/

Nothing has changed my opinion that TX Factor is simply the best amateur
radio related program in production today.

Dont forget to donate to keep it coming.

In this extended episode, there is not one, but two rig reviews. The Sun
Expert Electronics Transceiver MB1 and the elusive Icom IC-7300 are
comprehensively analyzed by ML&S Gary Spiers M0TIG and Chris Ridley G8GKC
from Icom UK.

Also in this show, Bob teaches Mike a thing or two about amateur satellite
operating, and our free-to-enter-draw is back with a chance to win a copy
of the recently revised and updated Getting Started with Amateur Satellites
book featured in the item.