Old August 3rd 16, 06:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default [W2LJ] New entry class license in the USA?

W2LJ's Blog - QRP - Do More With Less.

New entry class license in the USA?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...m_medium=email

I was always of the opinion that eliminating the Novice Class license was a
mistake. They should have re-tooled the privileges and the test. Now the
ARRL seems to want to re-invent the wheel - from the July 28th "ARRL
Letter";

"An ARRL Board of Directors-appointed ad hoc committee will study the
current Technician license exam requirements and recommend possible
changes, which may eventually find their way into an FCC petition for rule
making. These could include consideration of a new entry-level license
class. The panel's recommendations to the Board would be aimed at
developing "a more targeted examination with a more limited set of
privileges that would attract a new generation of amateurs."

At the ARRL Board of Directors July meeting (from left to right): Second
Vice President Brian Mileshosky, N5ZGT; First Vice President Greg Widin,
K0GW; President Rick Roderick, K5UR, and CEO Tom Gallagher, NY2RF. [Sean
Kutzko, KX9X, photo]

The motion at the July 15-16 Board meeting by New England Division Director
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, noted that the Novice license was discontinued in 2000,
and the Morse code requirement lifted from all licenses a few years later,
with the Technician ticket becoming the new entry point into Amateur Radio.
It also cited "a considerable increase in difficulty for the new entry
point" and new licensees who have been granted "extensive privileges not
appropriate for all newcomers."

"[W]e need to improve upon our efforts to attract newcomers to Amateur
Radio and pass along the tradition of emergency and communication support,
developing interest in hands-on projects, and improving on science,
technology, engineering, and mathematics education," the motion asserted."

It seems to me that once the FCC accomplishes something (such as
eliminating the Novice license), it's probably going to be pretty near
impossible to get them to do something similar again. They should have
thought harder when eliminating the Novice ticket. To parody "The Six
Million Dollar Man":

"We can rebuild it. We have the technology".

Hindsight is always 20/20; but that "Entry Level" ticket was a good thing
to have; and it never should have gone away.. At least I think so.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!