Old August 11th 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] From my Twitter feed: Linux propagation s/w, SMD guide

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

From my Twitter feed: Linux propagation s/w, SMD guide

Petr Hlozek @ok2cqr

CQRPROP HF propagation to your Linux desktop. My holiday project released!
ok2cqr.com/linuxsw/how-to… #linux #hamradioÂ*#hamr

Michael (GØPOT) @DrOrthogonal

Ive built the rather cool @SOTAbeams Go4Lo SWR & Power Indicatorcheck out
my overview youtu.be/zC-o83JsWuQ

Electronics-Lab.com @ElectronicsLab

SMDGuide – A gift for all electronicÂ*enthusiasts
electronics-lab.com/50802-2/

The post From my Twitter feed: Linux propagation s/w, SMD guide appeared
first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Amateur radio in the news: Community service, social networking

Ham radio buffs in Blaine dedicate themselves to community service

When the deadliest landslide in American history swept Oso two years ago,
amateur ham radio operators from Blaine volunteered their skills to save
lives.Â*Members of Blaine’s Auxiliary Communications Service (ACS) spent 172
hours on duty at the Snohomish County Emergency Operations Center and
Darrington Command Vehicle. They reported safety issues, injuries and work
stoppages on the scene and created a backup communications network where
the landslide had cut Internet and phone service, said Scott Honaker, the
Snohomish County communications coordinator.

Chatting it up ham radio style

Lee Collins spends hours chatting with friends and acquaintances each week
as he is nestled in a second floor room at his comfortable and secluded
home in the Lime Rock section of Lakeville. No, he’s not talking to his
buddy about a game of golf the next day, or what another pal thinks about
allowing Sunday racing at nearby Lime Rock Park. The world is his oyster as
he communicates with individuals scattered around the country and, indeed,
the world.
The original social network

On a sunny Saturday morning in late June, in a field overlooking the
Patuxent River in Lusby, men assembling two 25- and 30-foot steel towers,
section by section. Atop the shorter tower is a contraption that looks like
an upside-down umbrella. What in the world is going on here?Â*It’s the
Calvert Amateur Radio Association (CARA, call sign K3CAL), preparing for
Field Day 2016. Field Day is an annual exercise, sponsored by the American
Radio Relay League, the national association for amateur radio, to promote
emergency preparedness. Hams, as they’re known, could be a contraction of
amateur.

The post Amateur radio in the news: Community service, social networking
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.