Old August 20th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Operating Notes: Be an on-air CW Elmer

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Operating Notes: Be an on-air CW Elmer

This morning, I got the following e-mail from Ruben, AC2RJ:

I am Ruben, AC2RJ, we just had a contact on 7.027 MHz. I just wantedÂ*to say
thanks for the contactÂ*and Â*let you know I saw one of your interviews on
YouTube about CW months ago, and it was very important in my decision of
getting in the air in CW even when I was not ready at all Everything
turned okay, and now, its my favorite mode!! Who new!?!?Â*
Thanks again for the contact, and hopefully we will contact again soon.
73,Â*Ruben, AC2RJ

I was calling CQ about 25 wpmÂ*when Ruben called me. He didnt send my call,
but somewhat shakily and somewhat slowly only sent his callsign. From the
tone of his call, I guessed that hed been able to copy CQ but not my
callsign. So, I cranked it down, and sent my call again several times. This
time, he was able to copy myÂ*call and we had a nice conversation, until the
band changed and we started getting some QRM. At any rate, Im glad we made
contact, and Im looking forward to working Ruben again.
I had another experience with a new CW operator last night. Every once in a
while, I get on the #redditnet IRC channel and chat with the guys there.
One of them asked, So, where is everyone hanging out tonight.
I replied, Im on 40m CW, 7027 kHz. He said, I think I can do that. Give me
a minute.
A short time later, I heard him call. We had a short, somewhatÂ*disjointed
QSO. After we signed, he texted me on #redditnet, Sorry, but Im not very
good at ragchewing. I replied, No worries. It just takes practice. I also
said that next time well have a smoother, longer contact.
Indeed, it does take practice. So, if you happen to make one of these
contacts, dont just blow off the other guy as being a poor operator. He or
she may just be a newcomer getting used to ragchewing.
We should be encouraging these operators to become regulars on the CW
bands. Be prepared to help them through a QSO by asking them some
questions. Send slowly and cleanly. Follow the proper operating protocols.
Follow up by sending a QSL card thanking them for the contact, noting that
you look forward to the next one. All of these will help turn these
newcomers into great CW ops.

The post Operating Notes: Be an on-air CW Elmer appeared first on KB6NUs
Ham Radio Blog.