Old September 2nd 16, 06:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [VE3HG] RAC Tower Sanity

VE3HG

RAC Tower Sanity

https://ve3hg.wordpress.com/2016/09/...-tower-sanity/

As most of you know I have been very critical of the leadership of Radio
Amateurs of Canada for a long time now but there are signs that things have
changed and changed for the better.

My first indication is the leadership being offered by RAC president Glenn
MacDonell, VE3XRA. I dont know how Glenn and his executive team and the RAC
board of directors are getting along but Im not hearing anything that
concerns me so far and thats a huge improvement from past years
whereÂ*internecine warfare between members was common.

Second, and very close to my heart, is the sage advice being offered in The
Canadian Amateur when it comes to erecting your antenna tower. This was the
issue that got me into RAC when neighbours took the nuclear option in
opposition to my 15 meter tower on my 80 X 180 lot in Oakville, Ontario.

RAC was there with good advice and support based on the rules and
regulations of the day which forced amateurs to consult with neighbours. I
also wanted an exemption to put the tower up to 20 meters or so and I
consulted with our town engineer who essentially told me that wasnt going
to happen and if I stuck to 15 meters the Town would have no interest in my
tower. Â*Good to their word, the Town eventually sent a cease and desist
letter to one of my neighbours who brace yourself 10 years later has made
up with us saying he wanted bygones to be bygones. I was gobsmacked and
still think there was an invasion of the body snatchers next door. Weve
taken this guy to court to stop his continuous harassment over the years.
Maybe he got religion or joined a 12-Step group. I dont care and Im
thrilled to have a new friendly neighbour just so long as he doesnt get
interested in getting his own ticket!

Back to the future and heres Marcel Mongeon, VA3DDD, RAC honorary legal
council writing in The Canadian Amateur saying he is advising amateurs
across Canada to proceed without consultation if your tower is 15 meters or
under and does not encroach on a neighbouring properties.

He is especially adamant that you should NOT contact your town officials as
this can be construed to constitute a consultation and create issues for
you with your municipality and even with Industry Canada.

Regulations regarding towers in Canada can be found on the Industry Canada
site. Look for CPC-2-0-03.

If you are reading this post and you are an amateur radio operator in
Canada or interested in Canadian amateur radio issues then please join RAC
and do it right now. Amateur radio in Canada needs your support.
Filed under: Uncategorized