Old September 3rd 16, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2027, Sept. 2, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2027, Sept. 2, 2016

Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2027 with a release date of
Friday, Sept. 2, 2016 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a QST. There's a new National Park for hams to
activate. A special event station finds two Indiana ham clubs marking a
special air show. Youngsters in South Africa sample the International
Lighthouse and Lightship weekend. And hams are at the ready as weather
threatens the Atlantic Coast and Hawaii. All of this coming your way in
Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2027.

***

BILLBOARD CART HERE

****
U.S. HAMS PREP FOR HOLIDAY WEEKEND'S TROPICAL STORMS

SKEETER/ANCHOR: Our newscast opens this week as more storms threaten to
bear down in different parts of the U.S. As Amateur Radio Newsline went
to production, hams were going into a state of preparedness, as we hear
from Amateur Radio Newsline's Bobby Best, WX4ALA.

BOBBY: Multiple tropical systems are poised to affect the U.S. over the
next 48-plus hours, and amateur radio operators in multiple states have
been called on to assist with emergency communications. The area of
greatest concern, right now, is Tropical Storm Hermine in the Gulf of
Mexico and it's sitting, like a cocked pistol aimed at Apalachicola,
Tallahasse, and areas near this region of the Florida Panhandle.

Late Wednesday night, The National Hurricane Center issued hurricane
Warnings for coastal and inland areas from; just East of Panama City,
East to Cross City, Florida as well as inland areas that include 9
counties due north of this coastal region up to the Florida/Georgia
State Line. Outside of this hurricane Warning area, there are tropical
storm Warnings from Eglin Air Force Base, east along the coast to just
North of Tampa and then North and East including the Dothan, Alabama
area and parts of Southern, Georgia, plus a tropical storm Watch is in
effect up into portions of southern South Carolina.

Tuesday in a press conference, Florida Governor Rick Scott said;
quote "our state emergency operations center (or E.O.C.) is at level
2 and we have 8,000 members of The National Guard ready to be
mobialized, if we need them"...

Florida ARES has been activated and members are manning the state EOC.
Additionally, over 50 counties in Florida have already been declared to
be under a state of emergency and Emergency Management and ARES on the
county level across much of Florida have their County EOCs activated
and manned by hams also. Plus WX4NHC, the amateur station at The
National Hurricane Center is active through The NHC NET on; 20-Meters
at 14.325 with their primary NET. For additional information on The NHC
NET, vist their website at; WX4NHC.org.

Beyond the current watches and warnings that cover up to 48 hours out,
with landfall anticipated late Thursday night, as a Category 1
hurricane, the tract of Hermine takes it up the East Coast, North of
Washington D.C. up to the New York State area late Sunday when it
should start to make an Eastward turn, according to the latest
modeldata.

If Hermine wasn't enough, hams in Hawaii are bracing for not one but
two tropical systems over the next 72 hours. Tropical Storm Madeline is
tracking south of the big island of Hawaii, moving westward, as of
Wednesday night, local Hawaii time, and is predicted to lose strength.
However, behind Madeline is Hurricane Lester. Lester is expected to
move across the main Hawaii islands as Category 1 Hurricane, between
Saturday and Sunday and as it tracks Northwestward, across the islands,
it should continue to weaken.

ARES members in Hawaii are already activated, in support of the big
island effort with Tropical Storm Madeline and additional ARES members
will be activated, as needed to support emergency communication efforts
through Lester's track through the islands. FEMA has been and continue
to fly in supplies to the islands.

Without a doubt, this will be a very active holiday weekend for hams!!!
If this weren't enough though; a new tropical wave has formed in the
far Eastern Atlantic. This tropical wave was located a few hundred
miles West of the Cabo Verde Islands. This wave will bear watching,
around the time our current storms are clearing out and the wave is
reaching the Lesser Antilles.

Reporting from Jasper, Alabama I'm Bobby Best, WX4ALA.

SKEETER/ANCHOR: Meanwhile in India, monsoonal rains have led to deadly
flooding and amateurs have been activated to provide emergency
communications. At least 300 have lost their lives as villages in the
eastern region were evacuated and residents sought higher ground. In
central India, Jayu VU2JAU reports that hams have been deployed to help
prevent flood-related accidents as the water levels deepen.The Ganges
River floods are reported to have broken previous records, as water
levels reached unprecedented levels at four locations in the north. The
highest record was measured in the state of Bihar, where flood waters
reached 50.52 meters, or 166 feet, as of August 26.

(WIRELESS INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA, BBC)

**

IN MAINE, A NEW NATIONAL MONUMENT TO ACTIVATE

SKEETER/ANCHOR: The United States' National Parks system is celebrating
its centennial by welcoming amateur radio operators into the parks from
coast to coast to work the bands and possibly the world. Now there's
one more scenic wilderness to consider, thanks to a gift from a
foundation created by a multimillionaire businesswoman. Amateur Radio
Newsline's Heather Embee, KB3TZD, tells us more.

HEATHER: Just call it MN84. The nation's newest national monument
within the U.S. National Parks Service is much more than that, of
course. It's not quite 87,500 acres in northern Maine and it will be
known as the Katahdin (Kuh-TAH-Din) Woods and Waters National Monument.
The land donation, valued at $100 million, was given to the federal
government by Elliotsville Plantation Inc., a foundation created by
philanthropist Roxanne Quimby, who created the property over a period
of years by buying parcels up from lumber companies. It is not far from
Maine's Baxter State Park and Mount Katahdin, the highest peak inMaine.

National Parks on the Air participants are now able to make plans for
the site, which features the east branch of the Penobscot River and a
section of the Maine Woods popular among cross-country skiers,
snowshoers, canoers and fishing enthusiasts. Add to that list now all
those amateur radio operators who will no doubt soon be setting their
sights on MN84.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Heather Embee, KB3TZD.

(WLBZ-TV, NATIONAL PARKS SERVICE)

**

SPECIAL EVENT STATION HIGHLIGHTS INDIANA AIR SHOW

SKEETER/ACHOR: Pilots and amateur radio operators share a love of being
on the air, so the combination seemed natural for one special event
station in Indiana. Amateur Radio Newsline's Neil Rapp, WB9VPG, tells
us how hams and an annual air show honor the memory of one local pilot.

NEIL RAPP: A special event station operated in a joint effort by two
radio clubs will take place in Madison, Indiana on Sunday, September
18th. The Clifty Amateur Radio Society, W9EFU, and the Ivy Tech
Community College-Madison Campus Amateur Radio Club, KC9WQI, will be
operating in conjunction with the 15th annual Riley Memorial Air Show.
The fly-in is in memory of the late Doctor H. Schirmer Riley, a local
physician who was also an avid pilot and the co-author of the book,
"Two Pilots, One Engine," which describes his flight around the world.
A lifelong pilot, he died in April of 2010. Clifty Amateur Radio Club
officer and Faculty Sponsor of the Ivy Tech club Jerry Barnes, KA9PIJ,
explains the cooperation of the two clubs.

JERRY BARNES: We do a lot of our projects together. We ran Field Day
together and we are going to do the air show together. So folks can
receive a certificate. If they are lucky enough, they will make contact
with both groups on the same date.

NEIL: Listen for the clubs near 7.268 on 40 meters, 14.268 on 20
meters, and 28.440 on 10 meters. To get your electronic certificate
for working the special event, submit your request to
y Friday, September 25. Certificates for valid
contacts will only be sent to your email address. No printed QSL cards
will be available. Reporting for Amateur Radio Newsline in beautiful
southern Indiana, I'm Neil Rapp, WB9VPG.

**

AVES ISLAND DXPEDITION PUT ON HOLD

SKEETER: The activation of Aves Island, a much-coveted DXCC entity, has
been postponed. Amateur Radio Newsline's Stephen Kinford, N8WB, tells
disappointed amateurs why it's not going forward, at least not now.

STEPHEN: If you've been waiting for the big DXpedition to Aves Island,
one of the world's top DXCC entities, you may have to wait a little
while longer -- or even longer than that. Steve W4DTA reports that the
plans for YX0V have been put on hold due to weather conditions. The
activation was to have started in late August.

Reporting on behalf of the team, Steve indicated that safety concerns
were paramount, especially in light of the potential for storms. He
hoped to provide updates in time. The expedition was to have operated
for as many as 10 days, concluding on Sept. 10. Now its future is
unclear.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Stephen Kinford, N8WB.

**

BREAK HE

Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio
Newsline, heard on bulletin stations around the world including WA6TST,
the linked repeater system of the Barstow, California, Amateur Radio
Club on Tuesdays.

**
HAM RADIO OUTLET REOPENS FORMER AES LOCATION

SKEETER: Ham Radio Outlet has opened its doors at the Milwaukee store
that had once been headquarters to Amateur Electronic Supply, and a
number of AES employees have been hired on to continue working at that
location. Amateur Electronic Supply announced several weeks ago that
after 59 years it was going out of the ham radio business. The
Milwaukee store has since been renovated and has become the largest
such retail outlet operated by HRO. The company announced its
Saturday, Aug. 27 opening on Twitter, generating big excitement on
social media. The store, with a total of 5,000 square feet, is
considered to be HRO's Superstore.

(TWITTER, ARRL)

**

ACTOR, ADVOCATE BRIAN RIX, G2DQU, BECOMES SILENT KEY

SKEETER/ANCHOR: While fans of Britain's Brian Rix will miss his comedic
talents and his presence on stage and screen, amateur radio operators
are grieving too. The bands will be that much emptier without him. We
hear more from Amateur Radio Newsline's Jeremy Boot, G4NJH.

JEREMY: The amateur radio world, along with the entertainment world and
the world of disability advocates, are all mourning the death of
British actor Brian Rix G2DQU. An honorary vice-president of the Radio
Society of Great Britain, Lord Rix died on Saturday the 20th of August
in London.

A radio amateur since his early teens, he credited his older brother,
Malcolm, G5GX, with first sparking that interest when they were
children. Lord Rix became an actor as a young man and was later to
enter the realm of politics as well as charity. An advocate for the
rights of those with disabilities, he became president of Mencap, an
organization that assists people with learning disabilities. Knighted
in 1986, Lord Rix began service in the House of Lords in 1992, taking
particular interest in issues that impacted telecommunications and any
matters having to do with amateur radio, including the fight against
interference from the polluting Power Line Telecommunications
technology.

Brian Rix became a Silent Key at age 92.

Vale Brian Rix G2DQU - SILENT KEY

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Jeremy Boot, G4NJH.

(WIA, IMDB, THE LONDON TELEGRAPH)

**

KIDS TAKE A SHINE TO LIGHTHOUSES

SKEETER/ANCHOR: A group of young South African amateurs known as the
Hammies helped activate a well-known lighthouse in the city of Port
Elizabeth. Amateur Radio Newsline's Graham Kemp, VK4BB, tells us why
these kids are likely to consider this year's International Lighthouse
and Lightship Weekend one to remember.

GRAHAM: Donkin Reserve is a noted historical spot in the South African
city of Port Elizabeth, but on Sunday the 21st of August, it also made
some history for a group of youngsters and their ham radios.

The Eastern Cape Hammies Club ZS2ZU worked the bands during the
International Lighthouse and Lightship Weekend with the help of the
Port Elizabeth Amateur Radio Society ZS2PE. The youngsters landed some
DX contacts and worked nine other lighthouses from the one at the
reserve, which was built in 1861.

The young amateurs also got another experience worthy of the history
books. They worked the bands from a microbus outfitted with radios and
antennas and owned by Al Akers, ZS2U. The camper became their radio
shack for several hours, and though it never moved from its parking
spot, it nonetheless transported the youngsters for miles and miles
over the radio waves.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Graham Kemp, VK4BB.

(PORT ELIZABETH AMATEUR RADIO SOCIETY)

**

THE WORLD OF DX

In the World of DX, Bob, VK2BOB, will work from Samoa as 5W0BOB between
September 10-17th. Listen for him on 40 and 20 meters using mainly SSB.
Send QSL cards via VK2BOB direct only. His log will be uploaded to
ClubLog.

Gordon, K7TRB, will use the call sign 7P8VA from Maseru in Lesotho
between now and November 5th. He will be on the bands from 80-10 meters
and possibly on 6m as well. Listen for him on SSB and in the Digital
Modes. Send QSLs to his home callsign, direct, by the Bureau and check
to see whether he is on LoTW -- as of press time he had not yet
decided.

Alejandro, LU9VEA, will be on Easter Island, working as CE0Y/LU9VEA
between September 26th and 30th. Listen for him on a variety of HF
bands, working SSB. Send QSL cards to IK2DUW.

In Santana, Madeira Island, listen for Dieter/DK4QT, Thomas/DL6TK,
Kalle/DM3BJ and a few others starting September 19th and running
through the 28th. THey'll be active as CT9/homecall on 80 through 10
meters using CW, SSB and RTTY. They also plan to be in the CQWW DX RTTY
Contest, which is taking place September 24th and 25th, signing as
CR3W. Send QSLs to CR3W via DL5AXX. Send QSLs to all others via their
home callsigns.

(OHIO PENN DX BULLETIN)

**

AT 104, HE PUTS THE "O" IN OM

SKEETER/ANCHOR: Think you've been a ham for a long time? Meet Cliff
Kayhart, who's had his license for 79 years -- and that's just a
fraction of his lifetime. Cliff, W4KKP, is 104 years old. We hear from
him now, as Amateur Radio Newsline's Paul Braun, WD9GCO closes out this
week's newscast with a few reflections from this very seasoned OM.

PAUL'S REPORT: There are OMs in amateur radio - and then there are
REALLY OMs! Cliff Kayhart, W4KKP, of White Rock, South Carolina,
definitely falls into the latter category. Kayhart is 104 years old and
has been an active licensed ham for 79 years and counting. I recently
had the privilege of speaking with Mr. Kayhart, who was first licensed
in 1937. I asked him how he got interested in amateur radio.

CLIFF: Well, as a kid, I think I was 10 years old, and a buddy of mine
came along and put earphones on my head and I heard radio for the first
time. I lived about 10 miles form the Bell Laboratories there in New
Jersey and they were experimenting all the time with broadcasting, so a
big light lit up and I said "this is for me." And it turned out to be
that way. I worked in radio all of my life.

PAUL: In fact, his hobby earned him one of his first adult jobs.

CLIFF: So having been active in radio since I was a kid, I built every
radio that I could find a circuit diagram on. And I did that for quite
a long time, just a kid! Then I saw that RCA was looking for somebody
with my experience so I wrote them a letter, they called me in and when
I got there they said "well you have no experience!" I said "yes I do,
I've been building radios since I was a young kid and I'm still
building them. I've been using your tubes for a long time, I know how
your tubes work, what they're designed to do and what circuits they're
in." I said, "I tell you what, why don't you hire me for one month and
if I don't pan out, you can fire me." I worked there for five years.

PAUL: Kayhart is still active on the air, even moving in to a
retirement home couldn't stop him.

CLIFF: I'm living in sort of a retirement place here and I sort of
missed my ham radio right away because I had been very active ever
since the war was over and still enjoyed it. But I came down here and
living in this home I wondered, "could I have radio in here?" And so
talked around a little bit and I got permission to install my radio
equipment here. Local amateurs in a local radio club, they volunteered
to come down and put up my antenna and they put up a nice 52-foot
center fed antenna and it has worked beautifully. I've worked Australia
from here, I work all over the place in the United States. Right now
I'm on on the 40 meter band but I work all bands. So I'm enjoying
radio.

PAUL: So listen for W4KKP on the air and try to work the man who may
possibly be the oldest active ham in the world. For Amateur Radio
Newsline, I'm Paul Braun WD9GCO.

SKEETER: There are a lot more stories Cliff Kayhart has to tell. To
hear more about his experiences on and off the air, listen to his full
conversation with Paul Braun in an Amateur Radio Newsline "EXTRA." Just
visit our website, ARNewsline.org and navigate to the "Extra" page.

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; the ARRL; the BBC; CQ
Magazine; CNN; DXNews; DXCoffee; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; Ham
Radio Outlet; Irish Radio Transmitter Society; Internet Movie Database;
the London Telegraph; Ohio-Penn DX Bulletin; Port Elizabeth Amateur
Radio Society; QRZ; Southgate Amateur Radio News; Ted Randall's QSO
Radio Show; Wireless Institute of Australia; WTWW Shortwave; and you
our listeners, that's all from the Amateur Radio Newsline. Please send
emails to our address at
. More information is
available at Amateur Radio Newsline's only official website located at
www.arnewsline.org.

For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York,
and our news team worldwide, I'm Skeeter Nash, N5ASH, in Topeka,
Kansas, saying 73 and as always we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2016. All rights reserved.