Old September 6th 16, 11:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KE9V] Traffic

Perturbation

Traffic

https://ke9v.net/2016/09/05/traffic/

Traffic handling is one facet of the hobby that Ive never explored.

While the notion of originating, handling, and delivering personal messages
via ham radio seems dated, I have received a handful of such messages over
the course of my radio life and must admit to enjoying each and every one
of them. Typically, these have been birthday greetings from a friend of the
air, but a few times Ive received a radiogram welcome for having checked
into a net.

The practice comes from somewhere back in our long ago, so its surprising
to find it still exists and seems surprisingly healthy in this new century.
The only real snag being that most radio enthusiasts, myself included, know
little about how it all works.Â*Ive never originated a message in nearly 40
years of being licensed, have you?

For the last two nights Ive checked into the 75 Meter Interstate Sideband
Net, an independent traffic net providing Public Service since 1952.

I actually stumbled into the net on the first night. Id been experimenting
with antennas for 80 meters in preparation for the coming season. Its one
way that Im making other arrangements in response to the Modern Maunder.

Ill-prepared to handle traffic and with nothing for the net, I was warmly
welcomed and enjoyed riding along for nearly an hour just to see how this
traffic handling thing works. The experience was positive enough to get me
back the following night, and Ill likely check-in tonight too.

Its completely random, but now Im smitten with the idea of originating and
handling traffic as another ham radio bucket list item.

There are plenty of online resources that walk the neophyte thru the
process of traffic handling. It seems that with a little research, a fellow
could originate a message simple greetings to some long-lost radio friend
(or maybe hello to those who comment on this blog?) and let the traffic
nets run their course.

The value of that kind of traffic comes from the practice it provides in
keeping the system functional and in the goodwill it creates in connecting
with friends via radio.

How can that be anything but good for amateur radio?

no traffic here? Lynn Homebrew 4 January 21st 09 03:54 AM
MARS TRAFFIC Rayburn Shortwave 0 June 2nd 06 02:24 AM
WinLink and H & W traffic. Hank Oredson Digital 0 September 2nd 05 04:05 AM
Air Force-1 Traffic? Greg Scanner 1 August 11th 04 06:52 PM
Air Force-1 Traffic? Greg Shortwave 1 August 10th 04 04:56 PM