Old September 6th 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KB6NU] Are hams born or made?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Are hams born or made?

A friend pointed me towards an article in the latest K9YA Telegraph by
Philip Cala-Lazar, K9PL,Â*that asks the question, Nature vs. Nurtu Hams
born or made? K9PLÂ*concludes the article by saying,

I suggest that, like musicians, mathematicians and others with
preternatural abilities, hams share an innate desire to learn, build, earn
a license and get on the air. I can’t explain it at a neurological level,
but it seems hams are born wired with an itch only RF can scratch.

I come to a somewhat different conclusion. Hams have to be both born AND
made.

The author is correct that hams usually have an innate desire to learn and
a fascination with technical things. In particular, hams have a fascination
with the phenomenon of radio. These people are may be predisposed to
beÂ*hams, but if these qualities are not nurtured, nothing comes of that
interest. Without some making, their preternatural abilities are for naught.

Thats certainly true in my case. If my parents hadnt encouraged—or at least
tolerated—my interest in radio, who knows if Id ever have gotten a license?

I also knowÂ*people who obtained their license because their father was a
ham, or their spouse is a ham. Usually, nothing comes of this. These folks
pass the test, but never really get on the air or participate in other ham
radio activities. Sometimes, though, these people develop a real interest
in the hobby and become great hams. These are “made hams.”

I also think that hams can be made from people who already have a geek
bent, but who now need radio for some particular application or perhaps
have not been shown how cool radio can be. I’m thinking about the recent
interest in drones, for example. The fun of flying might be what drew these
folks into droning, but at some point, many realize that ham radio will
allow them to fly them farther.

It might be romantic to think of oneself as born to be a ham, but its more
complicated than that. Just as those whoÂ*haveÂ*innate athletic abilityÂ*dont
turn intoÂ*Olympic athletes withoutÂ*coaching, without Elmers, many
hamsÂ*never realize their full potential.

The post Are hams born or made? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.