Old October 2nd 16, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] DOSBox runs old DOS programs on Windows 8, 9, 10

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

DOSBox runs old DOS programs on Windows 8, 9, 10

On the CWOp mailing list, someone asked:

Â*Does software exist to convert simple old DOS programs [i.e., what we now
have to call applications] to produce a version that will work in the later
Window$,Â* such as 10,Â* Jack,Â* Queen and so on?Â*I want to update my machine
[i.e., throw it away & buy a new one],Â* but still have valuable and useful
old work.

On the mailing list, someone replied:

Yes, DOSBOX is free and runs all the old DOS programs very well. Only one
problem Ive encountered with it. If the old program requires the use of the
ALT key while its running, DOSBOX does something else when you use that
key. Otherwise, it works beautifully. I use it to run the old PUFF
microwave design program. Also Yagi Optimizer.

A third guy added:

It runs under Windows including Win10 and gives you a DOS window on the
screen. The advantage is that it allows you to slow execution speed down to
emulate the old boxes. Supports serial ports and other old peripherals.Â*
Built to run old games but I use it to to run programming software for old
radios. The key is setting up the configuration file properly for what you
want to do.Â*

The DOSBox website notes:

DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very
easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many
different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory
FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a
SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with
older games

You can re-live the good old days with the help of DOSBox, it can run
plenty of the old classics that dont run on your new computer!

DOSBox is totally free of charge and OpenSource.

I think that one of the keys there is that there are versions that will run
under Linux and MacOS. It might be kind of fun to play around with her on
my Mac.

The post DOSBox runs old DOS programs on Windows 8, 9, 10 appeared first on
KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.