Old December 8th 16, 06:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KB6NU] When did you last use an ammeter?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

When did you last use an ammeter?

As I noted in a previous post, theĀ*National Conference of Volunteer
Examiner Coordinators (NCVEC) has issued a call for comments on the current
Technician Class question pool with an eye towards the question pool update
in 2018. On the ham_ instructor mailing list, weve already debated the
notation used to refer to SWR values, and I expect well continue to discuss
other topics as well.

Id like to discuss how the question pool refers to the meters that we use
to measure electrical parameters, namely voltmeter, ammeter, and ohmmeter.
Ive included the questions below.

Im thinking that perhaps we should get rid of those words and perhaps
instead of saying voltmeter, the question or answer should read a
multimeter that can measure volts or simply multimeter. The same could be
said for ammeter and ohmmeter. I dont know of anyone who uses an instrument
that only measures volts, current, or resistance any more.

What do you think?
VOLTMETER

T7D01 (B)

Which instrument would you use to measure electric potential or
electromotive force?

A. An ammeter

B. A voltmeter

C. A wavemeter

D. An ohmmeter

T7D02 (B)

What is the correct way to connect a voltmeter to a circuit?

A. In series with the circuit

B. In parallel with the circuit

C. In quadrature with the circuit

D. In phase with the circuit

T7D03 (A)

How is an ammeter usually connected to a circuit?

A. In series with the circuit

B. In parallel with the circuit

C. In quadrature with the circuit

D. In phase with the circuit

T7D12 (B)

Which of the following precautions should be taken when measuring high
voltages with a voltmeter?

A. Ensure that the voltmeter has very low impedance

B. Ensure that the voltmeter and leads are rated for use at the voltages to
be measured

C. Ensure that the circuit is grounded through the voltmeter

D. Ensure that the voltmeter is set to the correct frequency
AMMETER

T5B06 (C)

If an ammeter calibrated in amperes is used to measure a 3000-milliampere
current, what reading would it show?

A. 0.003 amperes

B. 0.3 amperes

C. 3 amperes

D. 3,000,000 amperes

T7D04 (D)

Which instrument is used to measure electric current?

A. An ohmmeter

B. A wavemeter

C. A voltmeter

D. An ammeter
OHMMETER

T7D05 (D)

What instrument is used to measure resistance?

A. An oscilloscope

B. A spectrum analyzer

C. A noise bridge

D. An ohmmeter

T7D10 (B)

What is probably happening when an ohmmeter, connected across an unpowered
circuit, initially indicates a low resistance and then shows increasing
resistance with time?

A. The ohmmeter is defective

B. The circuit contains a large capacitor

C. The circuit contains a large inductor

D. The circuit is a relaxation oscillator

T7D11 (B)

Which of the following precautions should be taken when measuring circuit
resistance with an ohmmeter?

A. Ensure that the applied voltages are correct

B. Ensure that the circuit is not powered

C. Ensure that the circuit is grounded

D. Ensure that the circuit is operating at the correct frequency

The post When did you last use an ammeter? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham
Radio Blog.

Old December 9th 16, 03:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article writes:

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

[...]

. . .

How silly. A multimeter is a meter that is a voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter,
etc., depending on settings of a control.

It is still a voltmeter,... with the same restrictions on use when in a
specified mode.

Alan

[KB6NU] When did you last use an ammeter? KB6NU via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin Homebrew 1 December 9th 16 03:21 AM
A salvaged RF Ammeter coffelt2 Homebrew 1 May 19th 12 08:19 AM
Wanted: RF ammeter SX-25 Boatanchors 5 February 13th 09 05:46 AM
TBS-7 RF Ammeter Joe McElvenney Boatanchors 0 July 14th 06 11:39 AM
RF Ammeter Charles P.L. Stokes Antenna 0 January 25th 06 03:48 AM