Old January 3rd 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Do we need to go cold turkey with NPOTA?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Do we need to go cold turkey with NPOTA?

On his fine blog, QRPDoing More with Less, Larry, W2LJ,Â*laments that now
that 2016 is over, he has to go cold turkey. Â*He is, of course, referring
to the extremely popular National Parks on the Air (NPOTA) operating event.

NPOTA was an extremely popular event. Thousands of amateurs both activated
and chased our national parks. According to the ARRL, more than 1 million
contacts were made.

My question is why do we have to go cold turkey? There are several state
parks on the air programs that are already in operation or will begin
operation shortly. There is, of course, also Summits on the Air (SOTA).

Im very surprised that no one has picked up the NPOTA program and run with
it. I do understand that the way that the ARRL has structured the program
its a lot of work, but with some simplifications, it could be workable.
SOTA is, after all, a worldwide thing, and they seem to be able to keep
things working with a volunteer staff.

Am I missing something? Has someone already picked up the NPOTA ball and is
running with it? If there are folks out there working on it and need
someone with WordPress/PHP skills, I might be able to help out.

The post Do we need to go cold turkey with NPOTA? appeared first on KB6NUs
Ham Radio Blog.