Old January 5th 17, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [W2LJ] To help with your NPOTA withdrawal

W2LJ QRP .... Do More With Less

To help with your NPOTA withdrawal

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/feedb...medium=e mail

There IS a Parks On The Air program that has been up and running for a
while. In the USA, POTA is part of the World Wide Flora and Fauna program,
which is international in scope. Like NPOTA, WWFF was devised in order to
get Amateur Radio ops off their duffs and into the Great Outdoors. I love
their catch phrase - "Make nature your shack!"

POTA is the United States arm of WWFF and POTA encompasses not only NPOTA,
but State Parks as well. So if NPOTA was difficult for you as an
activator, POTA should be easier as it will include many places that were
not part of POTA.

Take for instance, the Great Swamp Wildlife Refuge (KFF-0454) here in NJ.
I drive through it every time I go up to HP28, Morristown National
Historical Park (KFF-0746), which is part of NPOTA. Since the Refuge is
administered by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, it was not part of NPOTA
- but it IS part of POTA. My favorite portable operating spot, Washington
Rock State Park, is also part of POTA (KFF-1635).

Activation requirements for WWFF are a bit stricter. For a valid
activation, WWFF requires 44 QSOs, while NPOTA required only 10. Happily,
according to my good friend Greg N4KGL, POTA also requires only 10 QSOs for
a valid activation. A good day's worth of portable operations should cover
you. If you're bound and determined to work towards Activator awards, then
you have a good program here to fill your heart's desire.. Me? I'll just be
happy to have the "excuse" to go out and put some NJ parks on the air.

I've only just registered and have not looked into all the details about
how to upload logs and stuff; but I am bound and determined to put some
parks in New Jersey on the air this coming Spring and Summer for the
chasers that are really into this.

72 de Larry W2LJ
QRP - When you care to send the very least!