Old May 30th 17, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [K9ZW] PowerPoles can really suck - why not CliffCon Power Connectors instead?

With Varying Frequency - Amateur Radio Ponderings

PowerPoles can really suck - why not CliffCon Power Connectors instead?

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/WithV...m_medium=email

Who has not had a Powerpole disconnect inadvertently? If you notice high
end gear eschews Powerpoles for high performance positive-interface
connectors. The military ones are pretty pricey and hard to source.
Following the leadership of high end radios like the Hilberling PT-8000A,
Ive instead brought in a supply of Cliff CliffCon Power Connectors, and
will []

Old June 1st 17, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

On Wed, 31 May 2017 20:53:42 EDT, Phil Kane wrote:

On Tue, 30 May 2017 12:20:28 EDT,
(K9ZW via
rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin) wrote:

Who has not had a Powerpole disconnect inadvertently?

I must have made up many hundreds of APP connectors over the years.
It's the de-facto standard for interchangeable 12-volt equipment in
the world of ARES/ACS as well as for fixed station use.

After I learned to do it properly with the correct tools and genuine
parts (not knock-offs) I haven't had pull-apart or fall-apart problems
at all.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Member, Washington County, OR
Emergency Communications Team
ARES/RACES AEC for Training

I have no experience with CliffCon power connectors, but they look
expensive.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cliffcon+power+connectors&tbm=shop
Yep, about $20 per connector pair.

Instead of PowerPole connectors, I've switched to what has become the
defacto standard for quadcopter battery connections, the XT60
connectors.
https://www.google.com/search?q=xt60+connectors&tbm=isch
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/catalogsearch/result/?q=XT60
They're about $1.50 per connector pair. The good part is that they're
cheap, handle 60 amps, are quite rugged, and are small. The bad part
is that they cannot be crimped, require soldering, require shrink tube
or a rubber boot, have some compatibility issues between
manufacturers, and offer a limited number of configuration options.
The lack of a crimp type connection is beneficial as it makes field
repair much easier if I don't have to go looking for a crimping tool.

I haven't converted all my cables and radios over to XT60 quite yet,
but so far, no major problems and certainly no accidental disconnects.
XT60 connectors require considerable force to disconnect. The only
problem is the availability of panel mount kits and adapters, which
are slowly appearing:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=xt60+panel+mount+kit
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt60-male-with-mounting-bracket.html

Try XT60. You might like it.