Old December 30th 17, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] What the heck is the ARRL board thinking? But, wait theres more.

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

What the heck is the ARRL board thinking? But, wait theres more.

About a month ago, I wrote about the ARRL Boards draconian Code of Conduct
and the censure of Southwest Division Director. Ive also written about some
new bylaws amendments that, if adopted at the upcoming January board
meeting, will make the ARRL even less democratic.

But, wait, theres more. CQ is reporting on a number of other proposals,
that, among other things, will

Give the board of directors the power to revoke individual memberships for
cause … after affording the member an opportunity to respond in writing by
a simple majority vote.
Remove a specific dues rate from the By-Laws, instead stating that the dues
shall be an amount set by the board of directors (effectively making it
possible for the board to raise dues by a majority vote rather than the
two-thirds to three-fourths vote required for changing the By-Laws).
Remove the right of vice directors to attend board meetings, except by
invitation of the directors.
Prohibit members recalling directors during the first 6 months of a
three-year term of office or after June 1 of the terms final year.
Incorporate the boards conflict of interest policy and code of conduct into
the By-Laws.
Give the board the power to remove from office by 2/3 vote any officer,
director or vice director for cause by revoking that persons ARRL
membership; after providing the subject of such action with an opportunity
for a hearing prior to the board vote.
Give the board the power to reprimand or censure a member in lieu of
removal; but in this case, No advance notice or opportunity to be heard
shall be applicable to the censure vote.
Prohibiting current, future and past board members from taking the League
or any of its officers or directors to court as a result of disputes among
board members or between a board member and the League as a whole; rather,
any disputes would be required to be submitted to binding arbitration; and
As a condition of service or continued service as an Officer, Director or
Vice Director, all Officers, Directors, Vice Directors and candidates for
such office will expressly waive any right to sue anyone acting on behalf
of the Corporation in court either during their term of office or
thereafter.

I really would like an answer from someone at the League why they think
these proposals are good for the ARRL and good for amateur radio. I dont
know about you, but they dont really make any sense to me, and theyre just
going to drive members away. Instead of making the tent bigger, these
measures are only going to alienate people.

Already I have heard from a number of ARRL members who say theyre not going
to renew their memberships. The one that hit me the most was one of my
Elmerees. A couple of years ago, we had a long talk about why it would be a
good idea for him to join the ARRL, and he did so. Yesterday, he emailed
me, Im pretty irked by this. Im 100% sure I will not be renewing my ARRL
membership.

Im not so sure that I disagree with him. Money talks, and while not being a
member may give me less of a voice within the League, Im not sure theyre
listening anyway.

Having said that, I am going to contact my director with the hope that he
will oppose these changes to the by-laws and articles of association. I
would encourage you to do so as well.

The post What the heck is the ARRL board thinking? But, wait theres more.
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.