Old April 2nd 18, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Slow down for newbies

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Slow down for newbies

A couple of weeks ago, I got the following email from a reader:

I recently got back on the air and have started working CW again. I have a
suggestion for those working CW contests. There are a lot of CW operators
(myself included) that would enjoy working these contests but most of the
big boys send at 25+ WPM with some around 35 WPM.

Ive often wondered why , during the last few hours of the contest, that
these ops continue to send endless CQs at these fast speeds with few if any
replies (they have already worked the majority of the other stations) when
there are hundreds if not more hams that they could work if they would just
slow down to maybe 18-20 WPM during these last few hours of the contest.
No, they wont slow down either if you send QRS and they just continue to
send endless CQs with few returns. Seems like getting more QSOs at a slow
speed is better then none at all in a contest.

Im certainly not a top contester, but I think this guy has a point. Slowing
down a little at the end of a contest could be a win-win situation.
High-speed ops could log a few more Qs by slowing down for less-experienced
operators, and the less-experienced operators could gain some experience.

What do you experienced contesters think about this?

The post Slow down for newbies appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Newbies, beware of K00K Mark KB9... General Pace General 2 March 16th 07 10:02 PM
Old news to most - might help newbies Tony Meloche Shortwave 1 March 19th 05 01:44 AM
A Newbies View On Things Scott Policy 47 January 22nd 04 10:36 AM
A Newbies View On Things Scott General 6 January 18th 04 10:41 PM