Old November 16th 18, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [VK5PAS] Wyperfeld National Park VKFF-0549

vk5pas

Wyperfeld National Park VKFF-0549

https://vk5pas.org/2018/11/15/wyperf...k-vkff-0549-2/

After leaving Bronzewing we travelled south on the Sunraysia Highway,
through the little town of Tempy, and then on to Speed.Â* Our destination
was the Wyperfeld National Park VKFF-0549 which is situated about 436 km
north west of Melbourne.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Wyperfeld National Park.Â* Map
courtesy of Protected Planet.

The town of Speed was named after William, Harold and Gordon Speed, who
settled in the district in 1903. Settlement by the Speed brothers coincided
with the opening of the railway line and the opening up of the Mallee lands
for farm selection. The Speed township was surveyed in 1910.Â* Speed is the
venue of the Mallee MachineryÂ*Field Days.Â* Speed was once notable for the
roadsigns on the highway each side of the town reading WELCOME TO SPEED but
these have been replaced with council signs Welcome to SpeedÂ*– Where Time
Ticks Faster.Â* In January 2011, the residents of Speed started a safety
campaign to get the name of the town to be renamed SpeedKills to raise
awareness of the dangers of speeding. By mid-February 2011 the Facebook
campaign had exceeded the designated 32,000 likes required to rename the
town SpeedKills.Â*Â*The outcome was to rename the town for one month.
Above:- at the town of Speed.

We then took the Patchewollock-Sea Lake Road and soon reached the town of
Patchewollock.Â* There is a sign in the town indicating that Wyperfeld is
located to the west of the town.Â* And at the western end of the town there
is an information board about the Wyperfeld National Park.
Above:- Park information board at Patchewollock.

We travelled out of Patchewollock on the Baring Road, and then the Pine
Plains Road.Â* About 25 km out of Patchewollock we reached the park, which
was well signposted.
Above:- Marija at the entrance to Wyperfeld.

We headed south on the Meridian Track, heading for the Casuarina
campground.Â* The Meridian Track is dirt/gravel, and was in very good
condition.Â* It is easily passable in a conventional vehicle.
Above:- The Meridian Track.

The Wyperfeld National Park is a large park, being 3,570Â*km2Â*in size.Â* It
is the third largest National Park in Victoria.Â* The history of national
park reservation in the Mallee dates back to 20 October 1909, when the
first part of Wyperfeld (38.9 km2 ) was temporarily reserved as a site for
a national park.Â* Following the initial reservation in 1909, permanent
reservation and subsequent additions were made in the 1920s, 30s and 40s.
The Park increased from 565 km2 to 1000 km2 in 1979, to 3237 km2 in 1991
and to 3568 km2 in 1992.

The park is part of the Wyperfeld, Big Desert and Ngarkat Important Bird
Area, identified as such byÂ*BirdLife International, due toÂ*its importance
for the conservation of Malle Fowl andÂ*other species ofÂ*malleeÂ*birds.

We set up in the Casuarina campgound.
Above:- Aerial show of the Wyperfeld National Park.Â* Image courtesy of
Protected Planet.

There was only one other vehicle in the campground, so we had plenty of
choices for operating.

I used the special call of VI100PEACE for this activation.

To kick off the activation, Marija and I logged Rob VK4HAT/VI4PEACE who was
activating the Bribie Island National Park VKFF-0053.Â* Next was Bill
VK3CWF/p who was in the Brisbane Ranges National Park VKFF-0055.Â* And our
third contact was another Park to Park, with Gerard VK2IO/p in the Brisbane
Water National Park VKFF-0056.

Marija then called CQ on 7.139 and this was answered by Alan VK3ALN/p at
Rye, followed by Marc VK3OHM, and then Ray VK4NH.Â* Marijas 10th contact was
a QSO with Keith VK2PKT.Â* Marija logged a total of 15 stations before I
jumped into the operators seat.

I worked a total of 35 stations on 40m from VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, VK7, and
New Zealand.Â* This included a Park to Park with Peter VK3PF/p who was
activating the Tarra Bulga National Park VKFF-0480.

I then moved to 14.183 on the 20m band and joined the ANZA DX Net, where I
logged 6 stations from VK3, VK4, VK8, and New Zealand.

I then moved back to 40m and logged a further 10 stations from VK1, VK2,
VK4, VK5, and VK7, including a Park to Park with Andy VK5LA who was in the
Ridley Conservation Park VKFF-0932.

To conclude the activation I tried my luck on 3.610 on the 80m band.Â*
Unfortunately we had no internet coverage, so we were unable to place a
post on parksnpeaks.Â* So I was very pleased when Hans VK5YX gave me a shout
on 80, with an excvellent 5/9 signal.

Marija had qualified the park for VKFF with 15 contacts.Â* I had qualified
the park as VI100PEACE for VKFF and WWFF with a total of 56 contacts.

It was time to pack up and hit the road, as we had a 3 hour trip to get
home.

Marija worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VI4PEACE (Bribie Island National Park VKFF-0053)
VK3CWF/p (Brisbane Ranges National Park VKFF-0055)
VK2IO/p (Brisbane Water National Park VKFF-0056)
VK3ALN/p
VK3OHM
Vk4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK7FRJG
VK2PKT
VK2FPAR
VK2HRX
VK3DOU
VK2KT
VK3MRO/m

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB as VI100PEACE:-

VI4PEACE (Bribie Island National Park VKFF-0053)
VK4HAT (Bribie Island National Park VKFF-0053)
VK3CWF/p (Brisbane Ranges National Park)
VK2IO/p (Brisbane Water National Park VKFF-0056)
VK4NH
VK4DXA
ZL4TY/VK4
VK3SQ
VK2PKT
VK3OHM
VK3UH
VK3MKE
VK3UP
VK2UXO
VK3ALN/p
VK4SMA
VK3SX
VK3PF/p (Tarra Bulga National Park VKFF-0480)
VK7FJFD
VK2AB
VK3UCD
VK7ZGK
VK2MT
VK5MAS
VK2NP
VK3TNL
VK2YK
VK3TKK/m
VK3PTE
VK2AR
VK2HMV
ZL1TM
VK3LTL
VK7FRJG
VK2YE
VK3VRA
VK2KYO
VK2ZRD
VK4AJR/m
VK7FTAS
VK5LA/p (Ridley Conservation Park VKFF-0932)
VK1FMGG
VK5MJ
VK4GSF
VK7DX
VK2EMI
VK2PEZ
VK4MAY
VK7ALH

I worked the following station on 80m SSB as VI100PEACE:-

VK5YX

I worked the following stations on 20m SSB as VI100PEACE:-

VK7XX
ZL1ANF
VK8KMD
VK4PDX