Old February 10th 21, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default The ARRL Current - February

*Now Online!* Digital editions of March 2021 /QST/, Jan/Feb 2021 /OTA/,
/QEX, /and /NCJ/

**March /QST/**

**Jan/Feb /OTA/
**

****Jan/Feb** /QEX/**

****Jan/Feb** /NCJ/**

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=604160a2-6442-4ed0-9695-2e753da4eb98

https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=2b55b7de-280c-4770-b209-5aafb264d669

https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=1025e13a-735b-4a99-8b09-149c006f5765

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=cb9a602a-2ac3-4118-be65-472c66e5f9e9

http://www.arrl.org/arrl-magazines
*March /QST/**
***/A Simple DC Power Polarity Checker
/Save your equipment from reverse polarity disasters**.**/
/**John Burnley, NU0V

//

One of the most common mistakes I make while building simple radios is
incorrectly hooking up my power supplies. Adapter supplies sometimes
have the polarity reversed. Some are even ac and not dc. I try to check
the polarity with a volt ohm meter (VOM), but if I forget, there can be
chaos. My operating over the past 2 decades has been with homebrew QRP
radio kits from clubs or vendors. These use the common barrel connectors
that have powered amateur radios and accessories for decades. There are
technologies like Anderson Powerpole connectors that would alleviate
polarity issues, but the cost of the connectors and cables were more
than the radios themselves. I needed an easy, inexpensive, and
consistent solution.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=604160a2-6442-4ed0-9695-2e753da4eb98

*January/February/On the Air/*
*/Anderson Powerpole Polarity Tester
/*Dino Papas, KL0S*/
/
***

Historically, hams have had to deal with manufacturers using many
different radio and accessory power connectors that were not
standardized. This made it difficult to quickly power and interface
radios and accessory equipment at different locations, whether at your
own radio desk, in your vehicle, and especially during emergency and
community support activities.

To address this problem, the world of ham radio public service,
including ARES®, adopted Anderson Powerpoles as their de facto standard
for power and accessory connectors during emergency operations. A
Powerpole polarity tester like the one described here can immediately
and safely tell you if the mating connector is wired incorrectly with a
reversed dc polarity.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=2b55b7de-280c-4770-b209-5aafb264d669

**
**January/February /QEX/*
/Do-It-Yourself NMEA Based GPS Time Display
/This Maker-Faire style time display project is an extension of the
/Themis/ Project*.*/
/*John C. Westmoreland, AJ6BC

**

This article explains and examines a DIY style of project in detail,
with a simple programming example and some low-cost module components
that can be used to make a nice high-quality display to show the current
local time, or for that matter can be modified to display time in any
zone or customized to display what the user/programmer wishes. The tools
required to make the display will be explained in enough detail that
users, programmers, and readers can customize the display in any form
they wish.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=1025e13a-735b-4a99-8b09-149c006f5765

*January/February /NCJ/**/*
*/*****/The Story of the J68HZ Dream
/****William J. Schmidt, K9HZ/J68HZ

It is every contester's dream to own a very capable station in a
desirable part of the world that is competitive, maintenance free, and a
place that the rest of the non-ham family wants to visit. To that end,
my wife and I set out to find that place. Our search started more than
20 years ago with our first trips to the Caribbean. Our family loves the
sun and water, so we made arrangements to go to the Caymans, Turks and
Caicos, Bonaire, St. Lucia, Curacao, and St. Vincent. Each island has
its own charm and feel. I had the opportunity to operate at many of the
contest stations on these islands, and I realized the Caribbean could be
the perfect location of another competitive contest station. Our
observation was that many of the locations were either good for the
family or good for contesting, but few checked both boxes.

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?PBID=cb9a602a-2ac3-4118-be65-472c66e5f9e9

*What's the Buzz?
***
https://blubrry.com/eclectictech/67861539/arrls-eclectic-tech-episode-20/**/Eclectic
Tech /**-**//Episode 27 Preview **-**February 11
**Learn about extremely slow CW - otherwise known as QRSS - with Clint
Turner, KA7OEI. For years, amateurs have been sending slow Morse at low
power levels to test propagation at HF frequencies and below. Find out
what the QRSS community is doing today and how you can join in the fun.
Also, when it comes to your station computer, what is an "audio device?"
Is it a microphone, a headset, or something else? The answer is "all of
the above," but the details may surprise you.

https://blubrry.com/eclectictech/

****/**/**//**/**On the Air /**-**//Episode 14****Preview **-**February 11
**This episode is loaded with information about what to look for when
shopping for an antenna tuner. Here's a peek at the kind of info you'll get:

Antenna Tuner Shopping Tips: Continuous Power or Peak Power?

* Antenna tuners carry "Continuous Power" and "Peak Power" ratings.
Continuous power ratings are usually lower than PEP ("peak envelope
power") ratings and indicate the power that the tuner can handle for
an extended time. PEP indicates the maximum power the tuner can
tolerate for a short time.

* When to Buy for Continuous Power. If you plan to operate at high
continuous power levels, get an antenna tuner that is rated for the
same continuous power you think you'll be using at your station. If
you're using a 100 W transceiver, make sure your tuner is rated for
a minimum of 100 W continuous power. You'll need it if you're
operating digital modes like FT8, because they require your radio to
constantly generate output, possibly for an extended time.

* When to Buy for Peak Power. "PEP," or "peak envelope power," is only
maintained for a short time. If you don't think you'll ever want to
operate at high continuous power levels (for example, if you mainly
operate SSB or CW), you can save money by choosing a tuner based
strictly on its PEP or SSB power rating.

https://blubrry.com/arrlontheair/

*Featured Publication*
*/****The ARRL Repeater Directory/® 2021 Edition*

Pre-order
http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Repeater-Directory-2021-Edition/ your
copy of the 2021 /Repeater Directory/®, which includes "crowdsourced"
listings contributed by users, repeater owners, and volunteer frequency
coordinators. This means more listings, and updated more often. Public
service volunteers, include it with your emergency â-˜go kit.' /Shipping
late February!/*
*
http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Repeater-Directory-2021-Edition/
*
*
*Shop ARRL Field Day*
*The 2021 Field Day Collection is /now shipping/*/*!*/*

*//

ARRL Field Day â-" the most popular on-the-air operating event in amateur
radio â-" is June 26-27, and now you can gear up early with our official
2021 merchandise. T-shirts, hats, pins, patches, mugs, and more, are a
great way to commemorate your participation in this annual event.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/FieldDay
*ARRL at Home this Weekend
*
http://www.arrl.org/arrlathomeThis weekend, February 13-14, was to be
the ARRL National Convention at Orlando HamCation®. While members will
have to wait until next year for our National Convention, ARRL will be
hosting a special At Home Expo http://www.arrl.org/arrlathome this
weekend, http://www.arrl.org/arrlathomethat will be filled with
special offers. Our exclusive sticker sheets will be FREE with any
purchase this weekend. These one-of-a-kind kiss cut stickers are easy to
peel and stick on almost anything! Limited quantity sticker sheets are
available with all orders and membership renewals from Friday-Sunday.
*
Orlando HamCation® 2021 Special Edition
*While we can't be together this year in Orlando, the Orlando HamCation®
2021 Special Edition https://www.hamcation.com/ offers virtual fun
with webinars, a QSO party, and prizes!

*$10 Membership Reminder
*
ARRL members, be sure to check your email for this week's $10 off $14 or
more purchase! Your personalized, one-time $10 code is valid in the
online store now through February 14. If you're unable to locate your
code, email .

Redeem Now! http://www.arrl.org/shop

*Trending on Social*
Check us out on Facebook or Instagram on February 18 -National Battery
Day for a throwback /QST/ article on batteries for your ham radio.
Comment with your favorite batteries or power sources to win a copy of
/Energy Choices for the Radio Amateur/
http://www.arrl.org/shop/Energy-Choices-for-the-Radio-Amateur/ by Bob
Bruninga, WB4APR.

How to Enter: Comment your favorite ham radio power source on either the
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ARRL.org or Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/arrlhq/ post using your call sign.Winner to
be chosen at random on February 19.

Get social with 2021 Field Day on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1966096706830030/. See what other
participants are posting about their experiences and join in on the
conversation.

For more information regarding ARRL Field Day, including information
packets and rules, please visit arrl.org/field-day
http://www.arrl.org/field-day.

**Important Dates*:***
Feb 13-14 -ARRL at Home http://www.arrl.org/arrlathome in parallel to
Orlando HamCation® Special Edition https://www.hamcation.com/.
Feb 15 -Presidents Day, ARRL is closed and will reopen Feb 16.
Feb 20-21 -International DX CW Contest http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx
0000Z, Feb 20 - 2359Z, Feb 21.
Mar 6-7 -International DX Phone Contest http://www.arrl.org/arrl-dx
0000Z, Mar 6 - 2359Z, Mar 7.

*ARRL Letter*
Everything you need to know about ARRL and ham radio news in one
easy-to-scan newsletter, sent weekly.
*ARRL Contest Update*
Offering a biweekly roundup of information on upcoming contests for both
the active and casual contester.
*ARES Letter*
Interested in emergency communications and public service? The monthly
ARES Letter will keep you up to date.

*ABOUT THIS EMAIL*
You are subscribed to receive monthly notification of the digital
editions of the ARRL magazines. If you have an ARRL user account, you
can manage your email preferences atarrl.org/myarrl
http://www.arrl.org/myarrl.We welcome your suggestions or comments,
.
..
**