Old March 20th 21, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KB6NU] KM4ACK on building the ultimate Raspberry Pi for your shack

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

KM4ACK on building the ultimate Raspberry Pi for your shack

Ive written before about how disappointed I was with how poorly GNU Radio
on HamPi. Since then, Ive had a bit more success with the PiSDR
distribution, but I still wouldnt say that Im happy with the performance.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, I heard Jason, KM4ACK, on Episode #390 of
Linux in the Hamshack talk bout his project, Build-a-Pi. According to the
github page,

Build-a-Pi will allow you to get up and running fast with a Raspberry Pi
for ham radio. Rather than downloading a pre-built image where you have no
choices in the build, Build-a- Pi gives you complete control over the
build. It allows you to choose the applications you want to install and
skip the ones you don’t need. This keeps your pi as lean and mean as
possible.

This sounded like just what I needed, and made a note to explore this
further. In the meantime, I ran across this video by Jason:

In addition to talking about the software, Jason describes some hardware
hacks hes made,Â* like using a solid-state drive (SSD) and overclocking the
processor. All in all, this sounds like just what I need to get GNU Radio
to run well on the Raspberry Pi.
More from Electronic Design

In addition to the listening to the podcast and watching the video, you
might want to take a look at the article, Essential Pi: Tips for Getting
the Most Out of Your Raspberry Pi from Electronic Design. While not as
extensive and detailed as the other sources mentioned above, it does
contain a few tidbits that you might find useful.

The post KM4ACK on building the ultimate Raspberry Pi for your shack
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.