Old March 27th 21, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [KB6NU] IARU Region 1 to host conference on the future of amateur radio

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

IARU Region 1 to host conference on the future of amateur radio

IARU Region 1 seems be ahead of the pack when it comes to thinking about
the future of amateur radio. Heres a recent example from the IARU Region 1
website

Facing the future of amateur radio

Mar 24, 2021

Lisa, PA2LS

TonightÂ*IARUÂ*Region 1Â*started preparing together with its Member Societies
aÂ*Workshop with focus on the future of amateur radio.Â*The message being
shared in this session is clear.Â*IARUÂ*societies are losing members; loss in
members in some societies is remarkable in the last ten years, even with
good examination throughput. Next to this, persons in leadership roles in
these societies are getting older. Not all Member Societies have top team
members under the age of 35 years.

TheÂ*IARUÂ*Region 1Â*Executive Committee shares that it’s time for change and
we need to start moving forward. Working together and changing the current
trends. We need to refocus our thinking and way of operating.

Main questions and topics which will be covered in the Workshop a

What is amateur radio today?
How is it changing?
Where are tomorrow’s radio amateurs?
How do others see amateur radio?
What do we need to do for the future?

Member societies are called upon to take actively part by nominating people
with future oriented mind-set and prepare for this Workshop. Key will be to
include new people into the discussion, hoping to reach new ideas and new
ways of thinking. The Workshop “Facing the future” is scheduled to be held
in October 2021 hopefully in Novi-Sad Serbia, hosted byÂ*SRS, the Serbian
Amateur Radio Society. AÂ*virtual alternative Workshop will be prepared
asÂ*well.

The post IARU Region 1 to host conference on the future of amateur radio
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.

Friedrichshafen 2021 cancelled

This press release just in from Messe Friedrichshafen. An interesting note
here is that the press release says that there will be an online version,
so perhaps some of the talks will be presented via Zoom or some similiar
platform. Ill add that info when it becomes available.

No get-together in 2021: Ham Radio exhibition once again suspended

This year, as well, the Coronavirus pandemic is maintaining a firm grip on
world events. Due to current developments regarding the spread of COVID-19,
Messe Friedrichshafen has been forced to make a very difficult decision.
The Ham Radio international amateur radio exhibition will not take place in
the planned time frame of June 25-27, 2021, but instead will be held from
June 24 to 26, 2022.

“It was not an easy decision for us; however, an exhibition like Ham Radio
depends on a high level of international participation. Due to the current
uncertainties in the travel sector, it is simply not feasible to hold it
this year,” explained Klaus Wellmann, CEO of Messe Friedrichshafen, sadly.
Project Manager Petra Rathgeber also expressed her great disappointment:
“It is deeply regrettable that the event cannot take place as planned. We
were so looking forward to our get-together with the industry.” Christian
NetShelter, chairman of the German Amateur Radio Club e.V. (DARC), added:
“We support the decision of Messe Friedrichshafen to cancel this year’s Ham
Radio exhibition at this early date. Naturally, we are very disappointed
that our meeting with friends in Friedrichshafen will not take place, after
all. However, the online version of Ham Radio that is now planned to take
place from June 25 to 27, 2021, is a consolation that we very much look
forward to, as it will offer our members of ham-radio friends some
interesting surprises.”

Exhibitors, visitors and participating partners are currently being
notified about these changes.

The post Friedrichshafen 2021 cancelled appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio
Blog.