Old May 18th 21, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] WWFF Hunter 1,744 certificate

VK5PAS

WWFF Hunter 1,744 certificate

https://vk5pas.org/2021/05/18/wwff-h...4-certificate/

Back in March I received my latest global World Wide Flora Fauna

(WWFF)
certificate, the 1,744 WWFF Hunter certificate. It is issued for having
worked 1,744 different WWFF references.
Thanks to all of the WWFF activators and thanks to Karl DL1JKK the Awards
Manager.
VK100AF at the Kyeema Conservation Park 5CP-107 and VKFF-0826

https://vk5pas.org/2021/05/17/vk100a...and-vkff-0826/

After packing up at Mount Lofty I headed to the Kyeema Conservation Park
5CP-107 & VKFF-0826. The park is located about 62 km south of Adelaide

Above:- Map showing the location of the Kyeema Conservation Park. Map c/o
Protected Planet.
The Kyeema Conservation Park is about 346 hectares

(850 acres) in size and
was established on the 12th day of November 1964. In those days it was a
wildlife reserve proclaimed under the National Park & Wildlife Reserves
Act. On the 2rd day of August 1967 the wildlife reserve and another
section of land were proclaimed as the Kyeema National Park. On the 27th
day of April 1972 the park was reconstituted as the Kyeema Conservation
Park. On the 4th day of April 1974 further sections were added to the park.

Above:- The Kyeema Conservation Park showing the adjacent Christmas Hill
Native Forest Reserve. Image c/o Protected Planet.
The name Kyeema is believed to be local Kaurna aboriginal language meaning
‘dawn’.
The park is bounded in the south by Woodgate Hill Road, in the east by
Blackfellows Creek Road, and the parks boundary with the locality of Kuitpo
in the west and in part to the north.

Above:- An aerial shot of the Kyeema Conservation Park. Image c/o Google
maps
Prior uses of the land included the use of part of the current day park as
a labour prison reserve, the Kyeema Afforestation Camp, which was opened on
the 22nd day of March 1932. This was South Australias first prison camp.
On the 27th day of October 1932 it was gazetted as the Kyeema Prison Camp.
It operated until 1959 when it was replaced by the current Cadell Training
Centre in the Riverland region of South Australia.

Above:- Article from The Advertiser, Adelaide, Tues 6 Sept 1932. Image c/o
Trove

Above:- News article re escapees from Kyeema, The News Adelaide, 15 March
1948. Image c/o Trove
The overstorey in the park is predominantly messmate stringy bark

(Eucalyptus obliqua), with some pink gum

(E. fasciculosa) and cup gum

(E.
cosmophylla) and a diverse under storey.
Birds Sa have recorded about 84 native species of bird in the park
including Superb Fairywren, Striated Thornbill, Brown Thornbill,
White-browed Scrubwren, Crescent Honeyeater, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, and
Grey Shrikethrush.

The park was significantly damaged during the devastating Ash Wednesday
bushfires in February 1983. Following the fires, the park became the focus
of a large revegetation project involving local school students. About
20,000 seedlings were planted in the first three years after commencement
of the project. This area is now known as The Childrens Forest.

There are some nice walks in the park, including the famous Heysen Trail
walking track passes through the park.

After setting up I called CQ on 7.144 on the 40m band and this was answered
by Peter VK3PF. It was very slow going however, and it took me about 14
minutes before I had contact number ten in the log, a QSO with none other
than my wife Marija VK5MAZ.
I logged a total of 28 stations on 40m before callers dried up. Contacts
were logged into VK2, VK3, VK4, VK5, and VK7. This included two Park to
Park contacts, with Bob VK2BYF/p and Gerald VK2HBG who were activating the
Brundee Swamp Nature Reserve VKFF-2547.
I then moved down to 7.090 and logged David VK3IL, Glen VK3YY, and Andrew
VK3JBL who were activating SOTA summit VK3/ VT-011.
After logging the SOTA contacts I moved back to 7.144 where I logged a
further 5 stations from VK3, VK5, and VK7. Unfortunately callers dried up
very quickly, so I headed to the 80m band. I logged 6 stations on 80m, all
from VK5.
It was then off to 20m where I logged 6 stations from Indonesia, VK4, VK5,
and VK6.
To conclude the activation I went back to 80m and logged Adrian VK5FANA who
had missed me during my first go on 80m.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3PF
VK3CAT
VK2VW
VK2HFI
VK3SQ
VK3VRA
VK3DWL/m
VK2LEE
VK3DEN
VK5MAZ
VK7FAMP
VK3ARH
VK2IO/m
VK3UH
VK3AV
VK3AMB
VK7LTD
VK7ME
VK3PI
VK7QP
VK4KLA
VK3TV/m
VK2BYF/p

(Brundee
Swamp Nature Reserve VKFF-2547)

VK2HBG/p

(Brundee Swamp Nature
Reserve VKFF-2547)

VK3AZN
VK3FIMD
VK7KT
VK3DAC
VK3IL/p

(SOTA VK3/ VT-011)

VK3YY/p

(SOTA VK3/ VT-011)

VK3JBL/p

(SOTA VK3/ VT-011)

VK7JFD
VK3KV
VK5CZ
VK3IH
VK3EJ
I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5CZ
VK5MAZ
VK5ST
VK5LA
VK5GY
VK5WG
VK5FANA
I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK6NU
VK5MAZ
VK6XN
VK4JWT
VK4CZ
I packed up and made the short drive back to my home at Ashbourne,
travelling down Kirkham Road, enjoying the fabulous views of Ashbourne and
surrounds.