Old May 27th 21, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [VK5PAS] HEMA Heatherdale Hill VK5/ HSE-009

VK5PAS

HEMA Heatherdale Hill VK5/ HSE-009

https://vk5pas.org/2021/05/27/hema-h...l-vk5-hse-009/

After packing up at VK5/ HSE-042 and having a chat with John VK5HAA, the
VK5 HEMA Manager, I decided to head to Heatherdale Hill VK5/ HSE-009 for
another HEMA activation.
The summit is located about 71 km

(by road) south of the CBD of the city of
Adelaide.

Above:- Heatherdale Hill near Myponga. Image c/o Google Earth.
Heatherdale Hill is easily accessible via Reservoir Road at Myponga. The
exact summit itself is on private road, but you are well and truly within
the activation zone if you operate from the side of the road.

Above:- An aerial view of Heatherdale Hill looking north towards Adelaide.
Image c/o Google maps.
Heatherdale Hill is 353 metres above sea level and has 112 metres of
prominence.

Once at Heatherdale Hill, you can enjoy some terrific views north, back
along the coastline of Adelaide and Gulf St Vincent.

And to the east there are some nice views of the township of Myponga and
across the valley to VK5/ HSE-042.

During my activation I had a couple fo Wedge Tailed Eagles soaring above in
the thermal currents. I also managed to snap a few photographs of a Black
shouldered Kite.

It was extremely windy at Heatherdale Hill and I set up on the side of the
road, right alongside of the farmers gate which leads into the actual
summit.
First in the log was John VK5HAA with a lovely 5/9 signal, followed by Tony
VK3YV, and then Marija VK5MAZ. I logged a total of 11 stations on 40m from
VK2, VK3, VK4, and VK5. Contact number 4, qualifying the summit for me for
HEMA, was with Nev VK5WG.
I then moved to 3.610 on the 80m band where I logged 8 stations from VK3
and VK5. This included Marija VK5MAZ who was super strong from Ashbourne

(gave me 5/9 plus 50) and Tony Vk5MRT at Strathalbyn who gave me 5/9 plus
30. Adrian Vk5FANA was also very strong and gave me a 5/9 plus 25 signal
report.
I decided to have a quick listen on 20m on 14.310 where I logged 3 stations
from VK4, VK5, and Vk6.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK5HAA
VK3YV
VK5MAZ
VK5WG
VK5FANA
VK3PF
VK4JAL/m
VK3SX
VK4NH
VK2MET
VK2IO
I worked the following stations on 80m SSB:-

VK5HAA
VK5MAZ
VK5MRT
VK5PL
VK5CZ
VK5FANA
VK3SX
VK3BHR
I worked the following stations on 20m SSB:-

VK5HAA
VK4NH
VK6NU