Old June 7th 21, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [AB1OC/AB1QB] A 6m DX Opening to Remember

Our HAM Station

A 6m DX Opening to Remember

https://stationproject.blog/2021/06/06/eu-6m-dx/

6m Opening to Europe PSKReporter Snapshot

Every now and then we get a really good opening to Europe on the 6m Band
from here in New England, USA. This past Friday, June 4 2021 presented us
with just such an opening. This particular one may well be the best one
that I have ever seen. The opening began early in the day on Friday and was
still going strong late into the afternoon. As you can see from the
PSKReporter snapshot above, the band was solidly open to most of Western
Europe and evening into the Middle East.
WSJT-X Snapshot During 6m Opening

There were so many strong signals from DX stations in Europe, it was
difficult to decide which station to call next! I was able to work the
opening for most of the day on Friday and was rewarded with over 130 DX
contacts into Europe. In addition, I was able to Work 3 new DXCCs and over
40 new Grids (over 30 of these Grids have confirmed on LoTW already)!
JTAlert Snapshot Helps To Work New Grids

We use the JTAlert application along with WSJT-X and DXLab Suite. JTAlert
helped to identify stations in new Grids that we had not Worked before in
the flood of activity on the 6m Band during this opening. At times, there
were 4 or 5 different stations in new Grids being decode at once!
AB1OC 6m Grids as of June 2021

The 6m Es season has been very good so far this year with great propagation
and lots of activity. Let hope that this continues well into the end of the
summer here in New England. We are especially hoping for good 6m openings
during Field Day later this month.

Fred, AB1OC