Old October 7th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default Here is how we can end all the silly antenna questions on the repeaters and on usenet.

Slow Code wrote:
If we raise the CW speed to 20 WPM for all classes including the Tech
class, hams will tend to study the theory more while they build up their
code skill and they will understand the theory better and won't need to
ask silly questions. So increasing the speed requirement will get us
better & smarter hams.

Who is "we"?

FCC makes the rules. They're the ones who have to be convinced. For
more than 25 years, FCC has been convinced that the Amateur Radio
license exam requirements should be reduced. The changes have come a
little at a time, but the direction has been the same since the late
1970s.

Old October 7th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code, who gives a crap what you think I have never seen your call
sign. You are a phony blowhard. The code is done. What the hell are
you going to do about it except whine on here every day. What is your
call? You are such a proud ham.

Old October 7th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:
Slow Code wrote:
If we raise the CW speed to 20 WPM for all classes including the Tech
class, hams will tend to study the theory more while they build up
their code skill and they will understand the theory better and won't
need to ask silly questions. So increasing the speed requirement will
get us better & smarter hams.

Who is "we"?

FCC makes the rules. They're the ones who have to be convinced. For
more than 25 years, FCC has been convinced that the Amateur Radio
license exam requirements should be reduced. The changes have come a
little at a time, but the direction has been the same since the late
1970s.

I know, but we can send them emails and tell them we won't go for anymore
dumbing down or simplification.

That's not how it works. What does "we won't go for anymore dumbing
down or simplification" mean, specifically? Those terms mean nothing to
FCC - they want specifics.

For example, you might consider the reduction of the General and Extra
to 5 wpm to be "dumbing down". But way back in 1990, FCC made those
licenses available with just 5 wpm code and a medical waiver. FCC has
said, publicly, that they see no difference between medically-waivered
"5 wpm" hams and those who passed 13 and 20 wpm when it comes to
enforcement issues. How do you respond to that argument?

Way back in the early 1980s, a president with initials RR was elected
in part on the promise to "get government off your back". That
translated to less regulation and simpler regulation, as well as less
money for "legacy" government agencies like FCC. So they have gone for
simpler and easier ever since.

They'll do what they want, but at least
we tried.

Did you comment on the recent Notices of Proposed Rulemaking? Or the
various proposals that FCC accepted comments on?

That's how FCC accepts input.

And when the various proposals have been presented, the majority of
those commenting support Morse Code testing, and relevant written
testing.

But they aren't an overwhelming majority. 55% is about the max.

And FCC doesn't have to do what the majority wants. They decide what to
do based on a whole bunch of factors. Comments are only one factor.

Old October 8th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:
Slow Code wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the "Whiskey Rebellion" talking.

For example, you might consider the reduction of the General and Extra
to 5 wpm to be "dumbing down". But way back in 1990, FCC made those
licenses available with just 5 wpm code and a medical waiver. FCC has
said, publicly, that they see no difference between medically-waivered
"5 wpm" hams and those who passed 13 and 20 wpm when it comes to
enforcement issues. How do you respond to that argument?

Remember that King Hussein of Jordan is no longer with us.

Way back in the early 1980s, a president with initials RR

Jim, are you not able to say, "Ronald Reagan?" You are such a useless
liberal...

was elected
in part on the promise to "get government off your back". That
translated to less regulation and simpler regulation, as well as less
money for "legacy" government agencies like FCC. So they have gone for
simpler and easier ever since.

Ditto amateurs building their own equipment... they're still building
tube gear...

They'll do what they want, but at least
we tried.

Did you comment on the recent Notices of Proposed Rulemaking? Or the
various proposals that FCC accepted comments on?

Nope. No comments from "Slow Code."

That's how FCC accepts input.

Slow is a little slow on the uptake. Others mitght know him as W3RV.

And when the various proposals have been presented, the majority of
those commenting support Morse Code testing, and relevant written
testing.

So?

But they aren't an overwhelming majority. 55% is about the max.

They asked for a concensus. The ARRL refused to give them one.

And FCC doesn't have to do what the majority wants. They decide what to
do based on a whole bunch of factors. Comments are only one factor.

Obviously the ARS isn't a popularity contest. Hopefully its not a
"Good Old Boys" club either.

Old October 8th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote in message
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 23:55:57 GMT, Dave Heil

Slow Code wrote:
If we raise the CW speed to 20 WPM for all classes including the Tech
class, hams will tend to study the theory more while they build up their
code skill and they will understand the theory better and won't need to
ask silly questions. So increasing the speed requirement will get us
better & smarter hams.

Who is "we"?

FCC makes the rules. They're the ones who have to be convinced. For
more than 25 years, FCC has been convinced that the Amateur Radio
license exam requirements should be reduced. The changes have come a
little at a time, but the direction has been the same since the late
1970s.

The interesting thing is that almost all amateur radio magazines have
been attempting to feed us the line that amateur radio is not being
dumbed down, yet it is quite obvious that it is.

fuuny how that is when the etesting for the stpuid stuff is being
removed lioke code testing if Wismen can manage it that is proof it is
not a measure of intelgence

Dave K8MN

Welp, Mark, you just made Dave's point.