Old October 23rd 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Default Question for the group. Mainly new hams.

wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

Looks like Bruce and Dan are back...

I hope 11 meters opens up

I'm sure that you do.

indeed it is likely the sole we see SC is that we are at the bottom of
the sunspot cyle and cb just isn't fun those ilgeal op like SC

Old October 26th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

Big Ten-Four on that Good Buddy.
It sounds like you run a lot of 11m, not surprising considering how
much you whine, and it's not alternator whine.

I only typed like because I knew you would understand that style of
communicating. So, after your license came in the mail what I
appliance did you decide to buy? MFJ? Alinco? Cobra?

While you are being all holier than thou, what did you design and build
for your main rig? I'm hoping to be impressed, but expecting to be
disappointed.

Did the code help you with the design?

I took my Advanced class test down at 1919 M street 36 years ago. I had
to sit at the desk and copy one solid minute out of five error free at
13WPM. I passed it on the first try. I almost failed the sending test,
as I had never spent much time doing that. I had never made a code
contact before my test, and I have only made a couple since.

The thing about code contacts is they never seem to want to say anything
beyond:

WA3XXX DE W6XX RST 5NN WX FB 73 W6XX SK

Contacts like that still help maintain receiving skill. That's important
if you ever have to use CW to save a life.

SC

Old October 27th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

an_old_friend wrote:
wrote:
Slow Code wrote:
wrote in
oups.com:

Looks like Bruce and Dan are back...

I hope 11 meters opens up

I'm sure that you do.

indeed it is likely the sole we see SC is that we are at the bottom of
the sunspot cyle and cb just isn't fun those ilgeal op like SC

I'm sure that he listens to 75M on shortwave and wishes he could
participate.

Old October 27th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:51:17 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Chuck Harris wrote in
:

Slow Code wrote:

[...]

but it will never happen since there is no one to send the distress
call

SC

http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Oh, really????
How about THIS one? (QRZ) and a newstory from England?

Morse code used in rescue!

London, 20 October/GNN/ -- MARITIME AND COASTGUARD AGENCY News Release
(Press Notice: 368_06) issued by The Government News Network on 20 October
2006

Yesterday afternoon just after 5.30pm Hayling Island Coastguard team
member, Steve Mann, witnessed what he thought was a SOS message flashed by
torchlight towards the Control Tower at Hayling Island Sailing Club. Steve
responded to the SOS message by switching the lights on and off in the
Control Tower.

The casualty was identified and was indeed using Morse code as he had
recently transferred all of his safety equipment from his 28ft fishing
vessel onto a newly acquired boat. He was running this vessel from
Emsworth to Thorneham Marina, a distance of about 4 miles, when he ran
aground and started to take on water. Steve Mann then alerted Solent
Coastguard Marine Rescue Coordination Centre who requested the launch of the
RNLI inshore and D-class lifeboats from Hayling island to the casualty who
was transferred to Hayling Island Lifeboat Station, where he was checked
over by a crewman who is also a paramedic. His vessel was towed back to
Sparks Marina by the inshore lifeboat.

Steve Mann said afterwards, "I was absolutely amazed to see the
flashed SOS message. This man was caught out on the one occasion he went to
sea with absolutely no safety equipment. Even without radio communication
going to sea without even a portable flare is extremely dangerous and could
cost you your life."

(with permission)
Seawaves Publishing
7-137 West 20th Street North Vancouver BC V7M 1Y2 Canada
14419 Greenwood Ave N Seattle WA 98113 USA

Old October 27th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Jerry wrote:

[...]

I would bet that the person flashing SOS knows little, or no morse code other
than SOS.

This, as an argument for hams using CW, is kind of like "mayday" being an
argument for hams being conversant in French.

-Chuck
Old October 27th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.swap

Chuck Harris wrote:
Jerry wrote:

[...]

Sacre bleu!

Avec des frites!