Old December 16th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default A moment of silence my friends for a silent key.

Ham Radio did not die today!

Isn't it funny that those who wanted code removed from the license
requirements are all happy and those who did not want the change are all
furious.

It kind of reminds me of the Rodney King trial and subsequent riots in LA a
few years back. The jury who sat through many hours of testimony and heard
all sides made a decision. A bunch of hot heads that only knew what they
saw in a few minutes of TV coverage tore up the city and assaulted innocent
people. What kind of intelligence is that? What good did it do?

The FCC proposed this action years ago in a NPRM after a change in
international agreements occured. They received comments from both sides,
followed by reply comments. They even extended the time for comments. The
comment period has of course been closed for some time now. Yet, people
keep writing about it in this group where it just won't do any good. The
FCC does not read this group. Those who do may have made comments
previously to the FCC in the proper from during the NPRM reply periods.
Those comments were every one considered.

The bottom line is that the folks that count considered the comments from
both sides and have made a decision. That is the way it will be.

The guys who enjoy CW will continue to use CW. Those that don't won't.
Clubs can still teach CW and anyone who wants to use it can enjoy it like
many of us do.

Please note this is an on topic post in only one newsgroup.

I'm sick and tired of seeing this debated all over the internet in
inappropriate places. If you believe in a process that is open and both
sides have an opportunity to be heard, the side that takes the loss has to
get over it and move on.

Personally, I wish they had adopted the ARRL and FISTS proposals to at least
retain CW as a requirement for the Extra Class license, but they didn't.

I wonder if the folks guilty of all the obscenities and off-topic cross
postings are better amateur radio citizens than they are internet citizens.
If they're not perhaps being upset with the rule change and selling their
radio gear would be better for the amateur radio service. Them staying in
the amateur service might be worse than the new no code hams that might be
coming.

73,

Extra Class that operates almost exclusively CW . . .

"Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" wrote in message
Ham radio died today.

Sorry for all the brow beating, it won't be happening anymore.

73 de KB7ADL, AKA Slow Code

Old December 17th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:42:33 GMT, "Roadrunner NNTP"
wrote:

Ham Radio did not die today!

Of course not. How many times in the past have various changes in the
ARS been proclaimed as the death of ham radio? Such proclamations were
wrong in each and every case.

Isn't it funny that those who wanted code removed from the license
requirements are all happy and those who did not want the change are all
furious.

I'd expected nothing less. That's just human nature.

It kind of reminds me of the Rodney King trial and subsequent riots in LA a
few years back. The jury who sat through many hours of testimony and heard
all sides made a decision. A bunch of hot heads that only knew what they
saw in a few minutes of TV coverage tore up the city and assaulted innocent
people. What kind of intelligence is that? What good did it do?

It's called mob mentality, and of course, it did not good at all.

The FCC proposed this action years ago in a NPRM after a change in
international agreements occured. They received comments from both sides,
followed by reply comments. They even extended the time for comments. The
comment period has of course been closed for some time now. Yet, people
keep writing about it in this group where it just won't do any good. The
FCC does not read this group. Those who do may have made comments
previously to the FCC in the proper from during the NPRM reply periods.
Those comments were every one considered.

The bottom line is that the folks that count considered the comments from
both sides and have made a decision. That is the way it will be.

The guys who enjoy CW will continue to use CW. Those that don't won't.
Clubs can still teach CW and anyone who wants to use it can enjoy it like
many of us do.

Yep.

Please note this is an on topic post in only one newsgroup.

Just as it's about time the code test went away (personally, I thought
it was time for that 30 years ago), it's also about time people
started adhering to Usenet etiquette. This debate, and the crap it
spawned, spilled over into several other newsgroups where it had
nothing to do with the topics of those groups. I do hope that it will
now finally stop.

But, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm sick and tired of seeing this debated all over the internet in
inappropriate places. If you believe in a process that is open and both
sides have an opportunity to be heard, the side that takes the loss has to
get over it and move on.

I agree...but like I said, I'm not holding my breath. There are
apparently some rather unstable individuals on both sides of this
issue, and even though it's now a non-issue, I doubt some of them will
let it die the death it deserves.

Personally, I wish they had adopted the ARRL and FISTS proposals to at least
retain CW as a requirement for the Extra Class license, but they didn't.

I'm not even gonna go there. Dead horse.

I wonder if the folks guilty of all the obscenities and off-topic cross
postings are better amateur radio citizens than they are internet citizens.
If they're not perhaps being upset with the rule change and selling their
radio gear would be better for the amateur radio service. Them staying in
the amateur service might be worse than the new no code hams that might be
coming.

Interesting. I never thought of it this way before, but maybe that's
the explanation for the irrational behavior some people on Usenet have
exhibited during this whole process. Unable to release their
frustrations on the air because of the possibility of having their
licenses designated for cancellation (or because they don't even have
licenses), some people took to expressing themselves on Usenet, which
is already so liberally populated with kooks that a few dozen more
were hardly noticed.

John D. Kasupski, KC2HMZ
Tonawanda, New York
http://kc2hmz.net