RadioBanter

-   -   Report & Order Posted! (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/112041-report-order-posted.html)

[email protected] December 19th 06 10:22 PM

Report & Order Posted!

It's 100% official:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-06-178A1.pdf

High points:

1) Element 1 is completely removed as a license test requirement.

2) All Technicians and Technician Pluses, regardless of code-test
status, get Novice/Tech Plus HF privileges.

3) No other licensees gain or lose any privileges.

4) Except for removal of references to Element 1, no changes to written
tests or license credits.

5) Changes go into effect 30 days after the R&O is published in the
Federal Register. That means no sooner than Jan 19, 2007, and possibly
somewhat later.

6) The 80 meter automated data subband moves from 3620-3635 to
3585-3600 kHz, as requested by ARRL in their recent Petition for
Reconsideration, correcting an obvious mistake in the previous R&O. No
other obvious typos or oversights.

---

Some observations:

- The elimination of Element 1 will allow non-Morse-Code-tested
Technicians on parts of four HF amateur bands. Ironically, most of
those HF privileges will be Morse Code.

- The role of CSCEs will be greatly decreased. Unless the written exams
are not passed in order, passing any exam results in an upgrade. All
CSCEs will do in the future is to allow immediate use of new privs for
the short time until the FCC database is updated, and in the case where
someone passes Element 3 without passing Element 2, or passes Element 4
without passing both Element 2 and Element 3.

- While there may be one or more Petitions for Reconsideration, IMHO
the FCC will simply deny them.

73 es KC de Jim, N2EY

Jim Hampton December 20th 06 01:46 AM

Report & Order Posted!

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Hello Jim,

May I quote you in the Yahoo Ham_Radio_Help_Group?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

[email protected] December 20th 06 02:02 AM

Report & Order Posted!

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Sure.

73 es KC de Jim, N2EY

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

AaronJ December 20th 06 05:57 AM

Report & Order Posted!

wrote:

2) All Technicians and Technician Pluses, regardless of code-test
status, get Novice/Tech Plus HF privileges.

3) No other licensees gain or lose any privileges.

Generals/Advanced lose more CW bandspace.
The restructuring fiasco continues... ;)

[email protected] December 20th 06 10:52 AM

Report & Order Posted!

On 19 Dec 2006 14:22:42 -0800, wrote:

It's 100% official:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-06-178A1.pdf

An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are
exhausted. — Arthur Miller.

Dee Flint December 20th 06 01:52 PM

Report & Order Posted!

"AaronJ" wrote in message

2) All Technicians and Technician Pluses, regardless of code-test
status, get Novice/Tech Plus HF privileges.

3) No other licensees gain or lose any privileges.

Generals/Advanced lose more CW bandspace.
The restructuring fiasco continues... ;)

You are confusing the various R&O. The reduction in CW space for Generals
and Advanced on 80m is in the one that was published in the Federal Register
in November and became effective on December 15. The one dropping the code
requirement (thus making Tech and Tech Plus the same) has just been
announced, has not been published in the Federal Register and so is not yet
effective. This latter one had NO effect on the CW space allocated to
Generals/Advanced.

Dee, N8UZE

W2DNE December 20th 06 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dee Flint
This latter one had NO effect on the CW space allocated to
Generals/Advanced.

But of course it has an effect! It just dumped a quarter-million potential new users onto the 75M, 40M, 15M, and 10M CW segments.

AaronJ December 21st 06 03:48 AM

Report & Order Posted!

W2DNE wrote:

Dee Flint Wrote:

This latter one had NO effect on the CW space allocated to
Generals/Advanced.

Yes that's quite correct. I was just making a general comment over the effect
that the recent changes have on me. Being a CW ragchewer I'm happy to say that
this new CW band loss won't affect me much since I seldom if ever used that
upper part of the band. It's ironic though that if I had just kept my Novice
license of 50 years ago I could have used it today and my present operation
would be little changed. Course you couldn't keep a Novice license for more than
a year in those days, so that's just wishful thinking... ;)

But of course it has an effect! It just dumped a quarter-million
potential new users onto the 75M, 40M, 15M, and 10M CW segments.

I think allowing all licenses on CW is a good idea. In fact I suggested exactly
such a license change on this very group several years ago. You can guess what
the response was. The population of the CW spectrum has been declining in recent
years. And most of my QSOs are with hams well over 60. My theory is that the
dead CW bands are due mostly to the dead CW hams. So I'm hoping that this change
will help...

Dee Flint December 21st 06 04:17 AM

Report & Order Posted!

--
W2DNE

The second R&O did not change the allocated band limits for Generals and
Advanced. The number of users is another story but you know as well as I
do that it won't happen. The Techs will upgrade to General and work the
voice segments instead. Let's welcome those few who do undertake to use CW.

Dee, N8UZE