Old December 19th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Report & Order Posted!

It's 100% official:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-06-178A1.pdf

High points:

1) Element 1 is completely removed as a license test requirement.

2) All Technicians and Technician Pluses, regardless of code-test
status, get Novice/Tech Plus HF privileges.

3) No other licensees gain or lose any privileges.

4) Except for removal of references to Element 1, no changes to written
tests or license credits.

5) Changes go into effect 30 days after the R&O is published in the
Federal Register. That means no sooner than Jan 19, 2007, and possibly
somewhat later.

6) The 80 meter automated data subband moves from 3620-3635 to
3585-3600 kHz, as requested by ARRL in their recent Petition for
Reconsideration, correcting an obvious mistake in the previous R&O. No
other obvious typos or oversights.

---

Some observations:

- The elimination of Element 1 will allow non-Morse-Code-tested
Technicians on parts of four HF amateur bands. Ironically, most of
those HF privileges will be Morse Code.

- The role of CSCEs will be greatly decreased. Unless the written exams
are not passed in order, passing any exam results in an upgrade. All
CSCEs will do in the future is to allow immediate use of new privs for
the short time until the FCC database is updated, and in the case where
someone passes Element 3 without passing Element 2, or passes Element 4
without passing both Element 2 and Element 3.

- While there may be one or more Petitions for Reconsideration, IMHO
the FCC will simply deny them.

73 es KC de Jim, N2EY

Old December 20th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Hello Jim,

May I quote you in the Yahoo Ham_Radio_Help_Group?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 20th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Jim Hampton wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Sure.

73 es KC de Jim, N2EY

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old December 20th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On 19 Dec 2006 14:22:42 -0800, wrote:

It's 100% official:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-06-178A1.pdf

An era can be said to end when its basic illusions are
exhausted. — Arthur Miller.

Old December 20th 06, 10:49 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Flint
This latter one had NO effect on the CW space allocated to
Generals/Advanced.
But of course it has an effect! It just dumped a quarter-million potential new users onto the 75M, 40M, 15M, and 10M CW segments.
Old December 21st 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

W2DNE wrote:

Dee Flint Wrote:

This latter one had NO effect on the CW space allocated to
Generals/Advanced.

Yes that's quite correct. I was just making a general comment over the effect
that the recent changes have on me. Being a CW ragchewer I'm happy to say that
this new CW band loss won't affect me much since I seldom if ever used that
upper part of the band. It's ironic though that if I had just kept my Novice
license of 50 years ago I could have used it today and my present operation
would be little changed. Course you couldn't keep a Novice license for more than
a year in those days, so that's just wishful thinking...

But of course it has an effect! It just dumped a quarter-million
potential new users onto the 75M, 40M, 15M, and 10M CW segments.

I think allowing all licenses on CW is a good idea. In fact I suggested exactly
such a license change on this very group several years ago. You can guess what
the response was. The population of the CW spectrum has been declining in recent
years. And most of my QSOs are with hams well over 60. My theory is that the
dead CW bands are due mostly to the dead CW hams. So I'm hoping that this change
will help...
Old December 21st 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

--
W2DNE

The second R&O did not change the allocated band limits for Generals and
Advanced. The number of users is another story but you know as well as I
do that it won't happen. The Techs will upgrade to General and work the
voice segments instead. Let's welcome those few who do undertake to use CW.

Dee, N8UZE