RadioBanter

-   -   Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," accordingto CDC (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/112779-re-code-free-its-part-dumbing-down-america-accordingto-cdc.html)

robert casey December 31st 06 10:21 PM

Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," accordingto CDC

Stefan Wolfe wrote:

Len, you used to argue that ham radio would benefit if only the FCC would
let the brilliant RF scientists, engineers and physicists, who only lacked
the ability or desire to learn Morse code, to enter the service.

Well, I personally know such an "RF scientist" who, when I emailed him
about element 1 going away, expressed interest in getting a ham license.
About 10 years ago he ran a test lab that tested HDTV broadcast
methods. Gave him a web site of practice tests, so he'd know ham radio
specific regulations (what bands, power limits and such that cannot be
derived from RF theory) and know what to expect when he does take the
tests. But he's not a young guy.

The ARRL ought to place a few advertisements in the various RF trade
journals, to get the word out.

John Smith I December 31st 06 10:24 PM

robert casey wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:

Len, you used to argue that ham radio would benefit if only the FCC
would let the brilliant RF scientists, engineers and physicists, who
only lacked the ability or desire to learn Morse code, to enter the
service.

Well, I personally know such an "RF scientist" who, when I emailed him
about element 1 going away, expressed interest in getting a ham license.
About 10 years ago he ran a test lab that tested HDTV broadcast
methods. Gave him a web site of practice tests, so he'd know ham radio
specific regulations (what bands, power limits and such that cannot be
derived from RF theory) and know what to expect when he does take the
tests. But he's not a young guy.

The ARRL ought to place a few advertisements in the various RF trade
journals, to get the word out.

Good thinking! Liked your band too ...

Regards,
JS

Dee Flint December 31st 06 10:47 PM

"John Smith I" wrote in message
robert casey wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:

[...]

Well I'd suggest posing the proposal to the ARRL and suggest to them to fund
it by having a special drive rather like what they do for the Spectrum
Defense Fund. It's doubtful that they have sufficient unallocated dollars
in the current budget to place these ads.

Suggesting it here in rrap isn't going to do a thing.

Dee, N8UZE