Old January 30th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

On 29 Jan 2007 16:44:02 -0800, " wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:32?pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:

Right. adio Shack pimps the hot products for the moment. The way I see
it, them not even carrying license manuals speaks volumes about demand for
them. ow, when you walk into a Radio Shack and see loads of HF antennas,
HF rigs, and a shelf of study guides; then you can say that Ham radio is
back in demand.

Radio Shack cannot compete with big discount houses like HRO.I disagree, Mike. adio Shack had its roots in selling amateur
equipment when it was a Boston firm decades back. hen Tandy bought it,
it in good shape. t swallowedAlliedElectronics back around 1970 and
either closed or turned into Radio Shack stores, all of theAllied
retail outlets. t owns and operatesAlliedElectronics as an
industrial distributor. ight now the company is in search of itself.

Really? Wow, Allied is LYING to us!

I just pulled down the 2007 Allied catalog from the shelf, the one
that arrived at the end of last year. 2,192 pages, 8 1/2 x 11
format. It's about 2 13/16 inch thick. I looked at the corporate
address on the back page:

Allied
An Electrocomponents Company
7410 Pebble Drive
Fort Worth TX 76116

I've ordered from them via Internet. As a result I'm on their
"announcements" e-mail list. I remember Allied from its
beginning days in Chicago, IL. Back in 1956 they had a
large store there selling 1956-era electronic parts. Can't see
a thing about "Tandy" in that catalog.

I was unaware that they were once a "ham radio supplier."
All the time I thought they supplied parts to the electronics
industry. Thanks for clearing that up.

It's always a treat to hop in here and get the "real low-down"
from the ...

Sometimes it's easier to just do a quick Google search and you find
things like this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Radio

Bob, thanks for the "Wiki-up" on Allied, including Allied Radio.

If you haven't been here for years, you might not understand
how Heil's "game" is played. :-) Let me explain:

A long time ago, in a State department far away, Heil got
totally ****ed with me in here for not going overboard
with gratuitous praise and congratulations on his mighty
efforts at hamming embassies in the middle of Africa.
Especially Guinea-Bisseau. Since then he's seen fit to
"correct" me as much as possible. Gotta love it when he
tries SO hard! :-) [he *IS* a code-tested extra and
thus very "superior"]

I am not interested in ALLIED (Radio or by the single name)
corporate history. I'm only interested in the parts they
sell, the price for those parts, and whether or not they
have them in stock. So much the better if the signs point
to them staying in business over a year from now. If not,
I look for another distributor that sells in small to large
quantities (there are many of them in the USA and Canada).
No sweat there.

I am well acquainted with "Allied Radio" and actually was
in there store in the second week of February, 1956, my
Dad with me (I had gone along with his meeting of some
model industry supers, then to Fort Sheridan to see if
my footlocker had arrived yet...it hadn't). Large store
interior but almost entirely displays of parts and some
instruments, which made me a bit disappointed in a way.
Expected more. I had ordered "radio parts" from them
in 1948 and then in 1954 while in the Army in Japan, had
always seen their ads in publications of that time. [I
built a thermin for a buddy in '54, he being a music
instructor in civilian life] Allied Radio catalogs were
very thin in those days, perhaps the thickest I remember
is around 3/8 inch. Yes, they has "radio parts" but
their market was mainly industry and the electronic
hobbies went beyond radio then. Chicago was "far away"
at 90 miles before I entered the Army. :-)

ALLIED's 2007 catalog is BIG at over 2000 pages. I'm not
going to look at "all" of them to see if "Tandy" is
mentioned despite Heil's insistence that 20-year-old
corporate history is SOOOOO important! :-) ALLIED is
very much IN BUSINESS and looks to stay that way for a
long time. By e-mail or by voice telephone the staff is
nice and obliging, on-the-job...no detectable Indian
accents. :-) I've gotten a few samples from Chicago
electronic companies shipped from ALLIED stock, believe
it or not. Good service.

A great problem with some olde-tyme hammes is that NONE
of the biggie electronics parts distributors stock much
HF "radio" parts that they expect. The parts market just
isn't there any more. Real radio parts are involved at
frequencies higher than HF. Those are in abundance.
Anyone who wants old-style HF "radio" parts has to go
to smaller mail outlets such as Ocean State Electronics.
But, they will be shocked by the high prices charged,
not at all as low as when they were adolescents.

The same with "plate and filament" transformers. About
the only outlet in North America for stock parts is a
Hammond division up in Canada (distributed by Mouser
down here). Fine products I hear, but the cost is high.
Electronics parts are, and have been for decades,
oriented to lower-voltage semiconductor technology.
What was once a provence of ham radio builders is now
much much larger in favor of computer-digital
components. Vacuum tubes (from new, old stock), if you
can get them, now cost five times what they did in 1960
and go up from there. The old days are GONE. They
won't come back as they once were.

Now, as to Heil, he doesn't know his chain gets yanked
and his buttons pushed by me. :-) That's part of my
game whenever he puts on the Waffen SS persona and tells
me "you never did such a thing!" or puts on the little
red hat while dancing to organ-grinder Miccolis' tune on
"corrections." It is both funny and tragic that they
carry on like they do, but that's their way in here.
Shrug...I've seen worse on BBSs after first doing
computer-modem comms 22 years ago. Usually I just shine
them off but the chain-yanking and button-pushing urge
gets irresistable and off we go. Poor Heil doesn't
realize he's been controlled every time he tries to
control others! :-) Gotta love it...! :-)

Regards,

Old January 30th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On 29 Jan 2007 23:08:00 -0800, "

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

On 29 Jan 2007 16:44:02 -0800, " wrote:
On Jan 29, 3:32?pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:

snip

Poor Heil doesn't
realize he's been controlled every time he tries to
control others! :-) Gotta love it...! :-)

Right on. Jim and I had a long, long thread going quite some time ago
on this very subject ("Owned or free...", IIRC) whereby I attempted to
point this very fact out to him. And still, many months later, he
continues to correct, proclaim and argue, often in multiple posts
daily. Regardless of how quixiotic this pursuit is, the good fight
must be fought!

For some reason, these guys just don't get it. This personality type
seems to be compelled to respond to every 'poke and jab', quite
predictably, time after time. It is a classic response to stimulus,
right out of your old Psych 101 textbook......If there is, as the old
adage goes, "a sucker born every minute", they seem to have a long
lifespan.

It is a lot of fun to crank them up and watch them go, though - must
say, I've done it a time or two myself!

OK, OK, more than two....

Regards,

73, Leo
Old January 30th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:

snip

Poor Heil doesn't
realize he's been controlled every time he tries to
control others! :-) Gotta love it...! :-)

Right on. Jim and I had a long, long thread going quite some time ago
on this very subject ("Owned or free...", IIRC) whereby I attempted to
point this very fact out to him. And still, many months later, he
continues to correct, proclaim and argue, often in multiple posts
daily. Regardless of how quixiotic this pursuit is, the good fight
must be fought!

You're a selective reader, "Leo". Good old Mr. Wilson, er Len saw my
post about Tandy/Radio Shack gobbling up Allied electronics and had to
attempt to dazzle me with his expertise. A lengthy treatise including
his having been around when Allied came into existence followed.

Yessir, Len's a regular puppeteer.

Dave K8MN
Old January 30th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:35:02 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:
snip

Poor Heil doesn't
realize he's been controlled every time he tries to
control others! :-) Gotta love it...! :-)

Right on. Jim and I had a long, long thread going quite some time ago
on this very subject ("Owned or free...", IIRC) whereby I attempted to
point this very fact out to him. And still, many months later, he
continues to correct, proclaim and argue, often in multiple posts
daily. Regardless of how quixiotic this pursuit is, the good fight
must be fought!

You're a selective reader, "Leo". Good old Mr. Wilson, er Len saw my
post about Tandy/Radio Shack gobbling up Allied electronics and had to
attempt to dazzle me with his expertise. A lengthy treatise including
his having been around when Allied came into existence followed.

I'd tend to agree, "Dave", if this was an isolated post that was
hijacked by mean 'ol Len.

It isn't, though - is it? See a pattern?

I'll bet you don't!

Yessir, Len's a regular puppeteer.

He sure is!

Dave K8MN

73, Leo
Old January 30th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Leo wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:35:02 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:
[...]

Silly ol' Len leapt in with keyboard blazing. Silly ol' Len needed to
exhibit his expertise on matters dealing with Allied Electronics. The
only problem he had is that was short on information.

By the way, my name is Dave. We don't know that yours is Leo.

It isn't, though - is it? See a pattern?

Isolated post? It doesn't matter to Len. I have seen a pattern in his
behavior, "Leo".

I'll bet you don't!

Yessir, Len's a regular puppeteer.

He sure is!

Not.

Dave K8MN

Old January 31st 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 23:35:49 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

Leo wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:35:02 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:
[...]

That was of paramount importance - many future generations of usenet
Googlers will pay homage to you for pointing that out to all with such
elegance and aplomb!

Hear, hear!

By the way, my name is Dave. We don't know that yours is Leo.

"We"? The OCD was a bit obvious - there aren't multiple personalities
in there too, are there? ("Daves"?)

It isn't, though - is it? See a pattern?

Isolated post? It doesn't matter to Len. I have seen a pattern in his
behavior, "Leo".

You certainly have - every time you post a follow up to one of Len's
posts!

I'll bet you don't!

Yessir, Len's a regular puppeteer.

He sure is!

Not.

Whatever you think, "Daves"!

Dave K8MN

73, Leo
Old February 1st 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:

Leo wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:35:02 GMT, Dave Heil
wrote:

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:
[...]

It seemed important enough for him to post his usual insulting crap,
"Leo". I'm sure that future generations will learn a great deal about
amateur radio from the misinformation and disinformation put forth by
Leonard H. Anderson.

Hear, hear!

By the way, my name is Dave. We don't know that yours is Leo.

"We"? The OCD was a bit obvious - there aren't multiple personalities
in there too, are there? ("Daves"?)

There are other readers of the newsgroup who don't know you to be Leo,
"Leo". I am Dave and my amateur radio callsign is K8MN. Drop me a line
at and see who responds, "Leo". You're still sniping
anonymously.

It isn't, though - is it? See a pattern?

Isolated post? It doesn't matter to Len. I have seen a pattern in his
behavior, "Leo".

You certainly have - every time you post a follow up to one of Len's
posts!

Did you see the pattern when Len followed up my post with his
misinformation?

I'll bet you don't!

Yessir, Len's a regular puppeteer.
He sure is!

Not.

Whatever you think, "Daves"!

It certainly appears that the puppet master is doing the dancing and
that the supposed puppets are calling the tune, "Leo".

Dave K8MN
Old January 31st 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm
KH6HZ wrote:
"Bob Brock" writes:

Poor Heil doesn't
realize he's been controlled every time he tries to
control others! :-) Gotta love it...! :-)

Right on. Jim and I had a long, long thread going quite some time ago
on this very subject ("Owned or free...", IIRC) whereby I attempted to
point this very fact out to him. And still, many months later, he
continues to correct, proclaim and argue, often in multiple posts
daily. Regardless of how quixiotic this pursuit is, the good fight
must be fought!

Think "Rocky Balboa" as their "role-model" in their heads.

[note the geographic nearness of Philadelphia... :-) ]

The fanstasy syndrome is, unfortunately, endemic to the
human psyche. PR folks earn their living capitalizing
on that. CELEBRITES become paragons of just about anything
due to PR work. The "audience" confuses the CHARACTER
(on-screen) with the real person portraying the character.
I am waiting for the first HAM-ACTOR to be featured in
QST...how will the League portray him or her? :-)

On computer screens the fantasy syndrome can easily "take
over" and the God of Radio (in here) is formed, complete
with cliques of like-minded "gods" proclaiming "their"
greatness, expertise, and "better than the 'inferiors'
(not of their clique)." The problem for the group as a
whole is that once "IN" that fantasy, their egos refuse
to let them admit any wrong-doing...they were "always
right" and everyone else disagreeing with them "always
wrong." Case in point is Cranky Spanky and his constant
"corrections" on minutae, word play (everything "must" be
"factual" and "absolutely standard"), history of radio
(that he could never have experienced personaly).

Ya know (almost paraphrasing 'John Smith I'), after almost
two dozen years of computer-modem communications, I'm
beginning to wonder if I have seen all the possible
basic types...all I see is small variations, sub-sub-
genres of basic conditions. The variations vary with the
general topic (supposedly) but it all boils down to EGO
and "credentialism" and something akin to "the divine
right of kings" (to RULE). In a hobby activity. ?

For some reason, these guys just don't get it. This personality type
seems to be compelled to respond to every 'poke and jab', quite
predictably, time after time. It is a classic response to stimulus,
right out of your old Psych 101 textbook......If there is, as the old
adage goes, "a sucker born every minute", they seem to have a long
lifespan.

Not always that long. Two regulars in here, high code-
rate tested and Titled as "amateur extras" have passed
on. Haven't heard of any no-code-test advocates going
beyond the ionosphere. They were adamant to their end
on the "necessary skills" etc., etc., etc.

Some of the gods-of-radio clique have gotten clever in
what they consider dialogue. Cranky is really good at
the IMPLIED expertise question-challenge: "Len, you
don't know all of my education" or "Len, you don't know
all the experience I've had with other modes" for two
examples. Yes, I don't and Yes, I don't give a ****.
What one writes and HOW they write it are the "tell" if
anyone has the experience or desire to do something...
which lets me know whether anyone really cares to talk
about a project or activity. I could care less if their
"friends and neighbors" come over to applaud and praise
their hobby things. :-) Even a "frankenbox" kluge will
look high-tech and mysterious to someone not involved
with electronics. shrug I've known that for a long
time and don't make it a point to point to "wondrous
works" out of my workshop. I do that stuff because I
like to to it for me, not "my friends and neighbors" or
to earn "credentials" or to tack a (misused) "honours"
label of a callsign after my name.

Back a while ago we had a friendly little discussion on
the old Icom R-70 communications receiver. Cranky and
der Robust Oberst had to butt in and attempt to change
the subject, apparently on their ever-present need to
show me I'm such a newbie, a "nothing" in "radio." :-)
I've never claimed that R-70 to be "best in the world"
or anything else but reliable. Did a full work-up on it
last year and it still meets Icom's stated specs for
performance. shrug Those specs were state-of-the-
art two decades ago and still are. Heh heh heh...I can
turn them on just by mentioning I "paid cash" for it.
I did. I earned every penny of that "cash" by working
for a living (in regular hours then). I'm still trying
to decipher WHY earning a living is such a "moral flaw"
to them in regards to radio. :-)

It is a lot of fun to crank them up and watch them go, though - must
say, I've done it a time or two myself!

OK, OK, more than two....

No sweat to me. :-) Been there, done that, got so
many T-shirts...etc.

I'm still expressing (internal) wonder at Herr Oberst
and his moral felony charges of NOT GETTING A HAM
LICENSE *FIRST*. And, AFTER ALL THIS TIME! Wow! It's
practically a charge of "treason!" This "Joe McCarthy"
of the newsgroup is really Captain Oblivious to what I've
said about my actual interest in RADIO. Not amateur
radio but ALL radio. I think it marvelous and got INTO
my career because of a fortuitous exposure to big time
HF comms when I was young and serving my country in the
Army. NO! NOT CORRECT! NOT PROPER! MORAL FLAW OF
CHARACTER NOT TO WORSHIP, LOVE, HONOR MORSE CODE!

Sigh. Between Cranky and der Oberst they must have
denuded whole forests to collect wood in attempting
to burn me at the stake for such RELIGIOUS HERESY! :-)
[not "environmentally conscious" are they?]

Ahem, on 23 Feb 07 comes the beginning of the Great
USA Radio Depression, the END OF THE WORLD their
imagined little world of morsemanship! I can't wait
to hear what these paragons of pompous propriety
(amateur style) are going to say afterwards! Already
they've been "warning" me to GET A LICENSE! :-)
What, to sanctify my US First 'Phone that morphed
into a 'GROL' two decades ago and is still ON RECORD
at the FCC? [it is lifetime duration now] To
sanctify my work experience that began professionally
55 years ago? To sanctify my (short) 33-year
professional membership (now a Free Lifetime
membership) in the IEEE? Of course! To these
"extraordinary gentlemen" (of comic book fame), my
terrible treasonous moral impropriety was NOT
GETTING A HAM LICENSE *FIRST*!

Quick, call US HOMELAND SECURITY! Have me picked
up, arrested straightaway as an ENEMY OF THE STATE!

Gotta love it. They are more fun than a barrel of
red-hatted morse monkeys!

Come to think about it, they ARE the little red-hatted
morse monkeys dancing to the ARRL organ tunes! :-)

Stay warm up there and best regards,

Old January 30th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Bob Brock on Mon, Jan 29 2007 11:10 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_Radio

Bob, thanks for the "Wiki-up" on Allied, including Allied Radio.

If you haven't been here for years, you might not understand
how Heil's "game" is played. :-) Let me explain:

There was no game, Leonard. I supplied you factual information.
Your response was something about Allied lying.

A long time ago, in a State department far away, Heil got
totally ****ed with me in here for not going overboard
with gratuitous praise and congratulations on his mighty
efforts at hamming embassies in the middle of Africa.

[deliberate factual errors]

Especially Guinea-Bisseau.

"Guinea-Bissau", Len, but not especially.

Since then he's seen fit to
"correct" me as much as possible. Gotta love it when he
tries SO hard! :-)

....and succeeds so often. :-)

[he *IS* a code-tested extra and thus very "superior"]

In amateur radio, Len, every licensed op is superior to you. You aren't
involved.

I am not interested in ALLIED (Radio or by the single name)
corporate history. I'm only interested in the parts they
sell, the price for those parts, and whether or not they
have them in stock.

You seemed extremely interested just a post or two back. You were, you
stated, around for the company's birth.

So much the better if the signs point
to them staying in business over a year from now. If not,
I look for another distributor that sells in small to large
quantities (there are many of them in the USA and Canada).
No sweat there.

No one indicated that you should sweat, Len. I happened to be commenting
on Radio Shack and Tandy's acquisition and takeover of the Allied in
1970. You felt the need to come in with keyboard blazing.

[...]

That's a nice story, Len. Almost all electronic distributors of that
day also sold amateur radio equipment and, in that time, almost no one
discounted any of it.

ALLIED's 2007 catalog is BIG at over 2000 pages. I'm not
going to look at "all" of them to see if "Tandy" is
mentioned despite Heil's insistence that 20-year-old
corporate history is SOOOOO important! :-)

You didn't need to look. I provided you with a quote from the company's
history and Bob provided you with a Wikipedia link and post info from
that site. I never stressed any importance of the company history. You
didn't like it that you were wrong. Deal with it. You're often wrong.

ALLIED is
very much IN BUSINESS and looks to stay that way for a
long time. By e-mail or by voice telephone the staff is
nice and obliging, on-the-job...no detectable Indian
accents. :-) I've gotten a few samples from Chicago
electronic companies shipped from ALLIED stock, believe
it or not. Good service.

I'm very happy for you, Len.

A great problem with some olde-tyme hammes is that NONE
of the biggie electronics parts distributors stock much
HF "radio" parts that they expect. The parts market just
isn't there any more. Real radio parts are involved at
frequencies higher than HF. Those are in abundance.
Anyone who wants old-style HF "radio" parts has to go
to smaller mail outlets such as Ocean State Electronics.
But, they will be shocked by the high prices charged,
not at all as low as when they were adolescents.

One can go to a tiny place like RF Parts Company and find lots of HF
radio parts, even high power components and transmitting tubes of all
varieties for amplifiers.

The same with "plate and filament" transformers. About
the only outlet in North America for stock parts is a
Hammond division up in Canada (distributed by Mouser
down here).

Hammond is distributed by many distributors.

Fine products I hear, but the cost is high.

Hammond makes very high quality products and the cost is not high at
all. The company also produces a quality line of die cast boxes of
almost any size.

Electronics parts are, and have been for decades,
oriented to lower-voltage semiconductor technology.

That's true to an extent. There is still a sizable market for high
power RF components in commercial radio, industry and amateur radio.

What was once a provence of ham radio builders is now
much much larger in favor of computer-digital
components.

"Province", Len. There are still numerous manufacturers of radio
equipment which require radio components.

Vacuum tubes (from new, old stock), if you
can get them, now cost five times what they did in 1960
and go up from there.

There are still numerous vacuum tubes produced by Russian, Chinese and
U.S. makers. I'm glad that they only cost five times what they did in
1960. Many things I buy today cost ten or more times what I would have
paid in 1960. Have you bought a pack of chewing gum or a rib-eye steak
lately?

The old days are GONE. They
won't come back as they once were.

That's right, Len. There's no long a Johnson Messenger vacuum tube CB
radio being made.

Now, as to Heil, he doesn't know his chain gets yanked
and his buttons pushed by me. :-)

Oh, you're a regular puppet master, Len. You're the great and powerful
Wizard of Odds.

That's part of my
game whenever he puts on the Waffen SS persona and tells
me "you never did such a thing!" or puts on the little
red hat while dancing to organ-grinder Miccolis' tune on
"corrections."

I have to ask Len: How did you come up with the fiendishly clever part
of your scheme in which you end up looking so foolish?

It is both funny and tragic that they
carry on like they do, but that's their way in here.

Actually, Len, you have it slightly wrong. You carry on like you do and
wonder why folks don't take to your nonsense.

Shrug...I've seen worse on BBSs after first doing
computer-modem comms 22 years ago. Usually I just shine
them off but the chain-yanking and button-pushing urge
gets irresistable and off we go. Poor Heil doesn't
realize he's been controlled every time he tries to
control others! :-) Gotta love it...! :-)

I musta been hIp-No-tiZeD! The funny part is where you put both of your
brogans into your yap in your sidewalk superintendent persona. I found
a Shinola ad in an old magazine the other day, Len. I think I'll scan
it and provide a link to the ad. It'll be a reminder of one of the
things you don't know.

Regards,

See IEEE Code of Ethics

Dave K8MN