RadioBanter

-   -   Will there be post-NoCode exams? (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/114674-will-there-post-nocode-exams.html)

Phil February 2nd 07 02:45 PM

Will there be post-NoCode exams?

I would like to take code exams even if they are
not required by the FCC.

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

KH6HZ February 2nd 07 03:54 PM

Will there be post-NoCode exams?

extremely doubtful

I suspect other organizations, like FISTS, may step up to the plate and
offer some type of competency certificates, if you're really interested in
such things.

Despite what you read here, from a few embittered people who feel the code
exam "persecuted" them, most hams on the airwaves really don't care if you
passed a 5, 13, or 20wpm code test or not.

Why? Well, if I CQ in morse code on a frequency at 25wpm, and you respond,
and we have a nice conversation -- does it really matter if you "passed" a
20wpm code test or not?

73
kh6hz

Dee Flint February 2nd 07 06:15 PM

"Phil" wrote in message
I would like to take code exams even if they are
not required by the FCC.

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

Right now you could go for the Certificates of Code Proficiency that the
ARRL sponsors. Check their web site for details. For this award you copy
code off special broadcasts and receive a certificate for 1 minute solid
copy. I believe for this award you do NOT have to be a member. I have the
ones for 10 wpm and 15wpm.

Also they are investigating a program for earning such certificates with
sending administered via live examiners at a session. This is just in the
investigation stage.

Dee, N8UZE

Dee Flint February 2nd 07 06:17 PM

"KH6HZ" wrote in message
extremely doubtful

I suspect other organizations, like FISTS, may step up to the plate and
offer some type of competency certificates, if you're really interested in
such things.

I hope so. In the meantime, the ARRL already has such a program. Once a
month they transmit code runs and if you copy 1 minute solid you can get a
certificate. They start at 10wpm and go up. I've got the ones for 10 and
15.

Despite what you read here, from a few embittered people who feel the code
exam "persecuted" them, most hams on the airwaves really don't care if you
passed a 5, 13, or 20wpm code test or not.

Why? Well, if I CQ in morse code on a frequency at 25wpm, and you respond,
and we have a nice conversation -- does it really matter if you "passed" a
20wpm code test or not?

Yup, using it is the important part.

Dee, N8UZE

Stefan Wolfe February 3rd 07 01:27 AM

Will there be post-NoCode exams?

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

"Phil" wrote in message
I would like to take code exams even if they are
not required by the FCC.

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

Right now you could go for the Certificates of Code Proficiency that the
ARRL sponsors. Check their web site for details. For this award you copy
code off special broadcasts and receive a certificate for 1 minute solid
copy. I believe for this award you do NOT have to be a member. I have
the ones for 10 wpm and 15wpm.

Also they are investigating a program for earning such certificates with
sending administered via live examiners at a session. This is just in the
investigation stage.

Dee, N8UZE

I think the latter would be an excellent idea. I would vounteer to "VE" such
as session. Also, aren't there certain FCC licenses that require 20 wpm
testing (like Radiotelegraph)? Not sure if this license class is obsolete...

One thing that I would like but many people on the ng would disagree with: A
certain vanity callsign format reserved only for amateurs who posses such a
certificate.

Stefan Wolfe February 3rd 07 01:29 AM

wrote in message
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:45:15 -0000, Phil wrote:

I would like to take code exams even if they are
not required by the FCC.

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

no VE's will not

Not true.
I would VE such sessions.

the ARRL has progarms and prehaps others as well

Stefan Wolfe February 3rd 07 02:32 AM

Will there be post-NoCode exams?

wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:29:04 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:45:15 -0000, Phil wrote:

I would like to take code exams even if they are
not required by the FCC.

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

no VE's will not

Not true.
I would VE such sessions.

as I understand it would not be at a true VE session and I hope it
gets enforced

Enforced? It's a free country. If 3 certified VE's want to get together and
attest that candidates passed a certain Morse test, giving it the same
credibility as an ARRL administerd FCC VE session, why not? There's no law
against that. The VE's could even charge if they wanted (I would do it for
free).

Stefan Wolfe February 3rd 07 03:11 AM

Will there be post-NoCode exams?

wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:32:46 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 19:29:04 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 13:45:15 -0000, Phil wrote:

I would like to take code exams even if they are
not required by the FCC.

Will VEs continue to conduct code exams and
perhaps offer wpm level certificates?

no VE's will not

Not true.
I would VE such sessions.

as I understand it would not be at a true VE session and I hope it
gets enforced

Enforced? It's a free country.

obviosuly you object to it

If 3 certified VE's want to get together and
attest that candidates passed a certain Morse test, giving it the same
credibility as an ARRL administerd FCC VE session, why not?

it should not be coupled with test session

You declare the official VE FCC test session closed. Then open a new ARRL CW
proficiency exam session. No problems there.

There's no law
against that.

today none in 21 days it will be since the test sessions are for
offcail test

The ARRL can have their own official CW test. Also, after the Bush
administration privatizes the FCC, ARRL will most likely control the Part 97
amateur land mobile section anyway :-)) (think about it, kb9rqz ...maybe the
CW proficiency certificate will get you some extra priviledges someday heh
heh ).

Stefan Wolfe February 3rd 07 03:44 AM

wrote in message
Then open a new ARRL CW
proficiency exam session. No problems there.

that is not an act of the VE or of the VEC and needs to occour at
other the same point in space/time as the exams

Not at the same point in "space/time"?

I propose that the tests could be adminsitered in parallel provided that a
wormhole was constructed between FCC applicants and ARRL CW applicants.

Stefan Wolfe February 3rd 07 04:08 AM

Will there be post-NoCode exams?

wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 21:44:11 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
Then open a new ARRL CW
proficiency exam session. No problems there.
that is not an act of the VE or of the VEC and needs to occour at
other the same point in space/time as the exams

Not at the same point in "space/time"?

a simple enough statement

is it beyond you?

The VEC can do whatever it wants. Look at W5YI VEC. They administer all
sorts of non-Amateur radio exams.