Old February 5th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default HD Radio

Commercial radio beat us again...they are the first to come out with a
significant release of digital radio. Amateur radio's contribution is
insignificant. I know, there are a few expensive rice boxes out there that
use it but the Ibiquity commercial format is already present and in fact
pervasive. Must be that darn old CW requirement that held us back again.

I will say that the FM sure sounds fantastic on my Boston Acoustics Receptor
HD Radio receiver. The multicasting feature of HD2 is a big step forward. I
have one station in my area that does HD2 now but I understand the FCC
license for this is still considered "experimental". No AM stations in my
area use HD it and I understand AM commercial cannot use it at night because
AM "HD" in this format takes up about 10 KHz so interference becomes a
problem. Amateurs could probably come up with something at half that
bandwidth using SSB, with a sound that is as good as existing mono FM.

Old February 5th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message

not the requirement so much as the attitude created by it
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

CW does not create attitudes. People creat attitudes.

Old February 5th 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 21:30:51 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:
Mors e Code has distorted the entire body of the ARS for ecades and will
contiue to do so for at least a generation after the end of the
testing

Wow...Morse code did all that?

Old February 5th 07, 04:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Stefan Wolfe" wrote in message
[...]

indeed I putup a high defacation antena over my conterposie in my back yard
hear is a foto of it

http://i18.tinypic.com/4bq6b6u.jpg

Old February 6th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:
Mors e Code has distorted the entire body of the ARS for ecades and will
contiue to do so for at least a generation after the end of the
testing

Wow...Morse code did all that?

The ARRL did it...

By the way, you've been a bit out of touch with digital
radio broadcasting. Digital radio has been going on
in HF bands for about 4 years now...doing what many
olde-tymers said was "impossible." Then you've
forgotten about the satellite downlinks for digital radio.

LA

Old February 7th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

oups.com...

wrote:
Mors e Code has distorted the entire body of the ARS for ecades and will
contiue to do so for at least a generation after the end of the
testing

Wow...Morse code did all that?

The ARRL did it...

By the way, you've been a bit out of touch with digital
radio broadcasting. Digital radio has been going on
in HF bands for about 4 years now...doing what many
olde-tymers said was "impossible." Then you've
forgotten about the satellite downlinks for digital radio.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it is rice box technology. I know of no hams
that have made homebrew digital transmitters; you have to buy them from
kenwood etc, thus the credit for the technology must be given to the
commerical manufacturers with no contribution from amateur radio licensees
other than for field testing it.

Of course I never thought about satellite downlinks because so few of us use
them. I know that what we do use is ancient technology compared to
commercial compressed digital; we only transmit staellite in analog format
and it is rather a waste of time/money.

Old February 7th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:41:58 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

groups.com...

wrote:
Mors e Code has distorted the entire body of the ARS for ecades and
will
contiue to do so for at least a generation after the end of the
testing

Wow...Morse code did all that?

The ARRL did it...

By the way, you've been a bit out of touch with digital
radio broadcasting. Digital radio has been going on
in HF bands for about 4 years now...doing what many
olde-tymers said was "impossible." Then you've
forgotten about the satellite downlinks for digital radio.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it is rice box technology.

can you show any manners?

You should clean up your back yard.

Old February 7th 07, 06:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:51:20 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 19:41:58 -0500, "Stefan Wolfe"
wrote:

legroups.com...

wrote:
Mors e Code has distorted the entire body of the ARS for ecades and
will
contiue to do so for at least a generation after the end of the
testing

Wow...Morse code did all that?

The ARRL did it...

By the way, you've been a bit out of touch with digital
radio broadcasting. Digital radio has been going on
in HF bands for about 4 years now...doing what many
olde-tymers said was "impossible." Then you've
forgotten about the satellite downlinks for digital radio.

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but it is rice box technology.
can you show any manners?

You should clean up your back yard.

of what?

I don't enage in ethinc slurs as you hav e here

i don't enage in inflamitory libel either

A "rice box" is not characteristic of an ethnic slur. I am merely
celebrating ethnic diversity, acknolwledging the superiority of their
contributions to the amateur service when compared to those of, say, kb9rqz.