Old February 20th 07, 06:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default CW Bands (was in Homebrew)

Oh, my, some SPITE was carried over to homebrew on
Presidents Day just because "CW" was discussed. I am
bringing it back to policy where it should go until
the moderated newsgroup is open.

Be aware that this thread in RRAH started with a simple
question by another asking if FCC 06-178 would "eliminate
the CW bands" [in amateur radio operation] That was
answered. After that it segued into discussion of early
(pre-1900) use of morse code then it was triggered into
modern times by those who feel that "CW" MUST be given
ten kinds of attention than anything else. Miccolis
*HAD* to make noise in his usual manner there even though
he was not involved.

WAS in Newsgroup: rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Date: 19 Feb 2007 10:02:39 -0800
Subject: CW Bands

On Feb 18, 11:15?pm, " wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote on Sun, 18 Feb 2007

Actually, that depends on how you define "biggest".

Whatever YOU have is 'always' biggest. Yes, we all know.
:-)

? ?I first "fired up" on HF in February 1953, part of my being
? ?assigned to a US Army communications station in Tokyo. ?

Incorrect quotation. I did not write those question marks.

Other than that, a 20-page photo essay describing what
was done over a three-year period is a free download:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...s/My3Years.pdf

On a dial-up connection that will take about 18 minutes and
is about 6 MB in size.

A station that was maintained by several hundred Army personnel.

It was? Were you THERE? No, you were busy gestating
at the time, hadn't emerged yet.

Sorry, but I don't have a COMPLETE T.O.& E. (Table of
Organization and Equipment) of the Battalion and can
only approximate the number of personnel by direct
visual observation being IN that battalion.

That
? ?was a small 1 KW HF transmitter using TTY FSK. ?There were
? ?three dozen other transmitters there; six more would be
? ?added by 1955. ?NONE of the radio circuits of this 3rd
? ?largest Army station used any OOK CW mode of modulation.

Incorrect quotation. I did not write those question marks.

However, that was one station in one place.

Yes, amazing deduction, Sherlock Miccolis! :-)

The other stations of ACAN, the Army Command and Administrative
Network (the acronym of that time) were at Ft. Detrick, MD,
[WAR, the center point for this worldwide network], plus (to
the circuits of ADA in ACAN) Anchorage, Alaska, Seattle, WA,
San Francisco, CA (actually Davis, CA, outside of San Fran),
Honolulu, Hawaii, Manila in the Phillippines, Okinawa, Pusan
and Seoul, Korea, and Saigon, Vietnam. Once a month there
was a test period of communications to Asmara, Eritrea to
check predicted propagation from Asia into east Africa.
Another free upload:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...phabetSoup.pdf

Shows a map of the radio circuits as they were about 1963
for ADA into an enlarged ACAN...the network having changed
its name. There and on the Links section for US Army in
Europe (USAEUR) private historical site is the full TTY
message routing paths over the world. Note that the TTY
message address preamble would use the "Rxxx" designator,
NOT the originating or final receiving Army radio station
callsign. ADA in Tokyo was "RUAP" and WAR at Ft. Detrick
was "RUEP."

It was not necessarily
representative of all military radio communications at the time, nor
of amateur radio communications, then or now.

"Not necessarily representative of 'all military radio
communications at the time?" Silly little man, this
was a specific period of 1953 to 1956 when I was a
PART of that operation, IN the US Army, a station that
was under Central Command, US Army in Japan, supporting
the Far East Command Headquarters then in Tokyo. I've
not claimed otherwise.

However, the photo essay manuscript was sent to Mr.
James Brendage, a now-retired civilian engineer who
was THERE and working IN that facility. Jim Brendage
sent me in return supplementary material that was
produced by that Signal Battalion after I left. That
(digitzed) became the other document at Hal
Hallikainen's site called "AlphabetSoup." I received
other photos and documents from Jim Brendage and
exchanged information about the late Walter Ross, an
RCA (EASD, Van Nuys, CA) staff engineer (in my working
group at RCA!) who had also worked at ADA as a civilian
engineer before I was assigned there. Walt had seen
some of the 600 color slides I had taken at ADA and
didn't say they were incorrect or faulty.

In addition to that, I've been in e-contact with a
retired USAF MSgt who had worked at the new ADA
transmitter site after 1963 and the USAF having been
assigned responsibility there. We shared much info,
with him interested in "how it was in the beginning"
meaning the 1954 time that I helped move the trans-
mitter site up to Kashiwa, Japan. Worse yet (for you)
is that I've maintained e-contact with a licensed
radio amateur (and licensed radio professional) now
retired from the FAA who was assigned to the SAME
battalion, SAME company, SAME duties at the ADA
transmitter site but on another of the four operating
teams. Gene can verify as to my accuracy in the
photo essay.

I've never claimed my military assignment involved
amateur radio. At best, one radio circuit was available
to the Tokyo MARS facility on a third-priority basis,
RTTY only. MARS operations in Tokyo were divorced
from the ACAN network administration some time in
1955. MARS does not, cannot operate IN USA amateur
bands...it is under the directorate of the Department
of Defense.

However, technology-wise, a vacuum tube power amplifier
stage for HF range operates the SAME for amateur or
commercial applications now in 2007. The rule of
thumb in tuning tube power amplifiers is the same
now as it was a half century ago, "peak the grid and
dip the plate." [referring to currents]

? ?In my subsequent career change after service into
? ?electronics design engineer I've never had a requirement
? ?to use OOK CW on radio. ?

INCORRECT quotation. I did not write those question
marks. Try not to selectively EDIT quotations.

You have also never been a radio amateur.

I've never claimed to be one.

Nor a professional radio operator.

INCORRECT. WRONG. MISTAKE. BULL****, little man.

I have three old First Class Radiotelephone (Commercial)
certificates with handwritten signatures of officials
at various stations attesting to my professional services
rendered. Those signatures were done and dated when that
First 'Phone license was in force. Some of those are
for broadcasting stations but an equal number are for
corporations involved in private radio communications.
One of the latter is by one of my partners in a private
business...which may be a subject of a new Flame War by
some self-styled amateur communications attornies.

In several years of working at private corporations
involved with Department of Defense radio and radio-
related contracts, that First 'Phone was NOT necessary.
DoD radio communications do not fall under FCC
jurisdiction. The FCC is chartered by Congressional
LAW to regulate USA *civil* communications.

"Professional" work is that which is compensated for
monetarily. [one gets MONEY for services renedered]
I was paid money regularly and the IRS and Franchise
Tax Board of California attesting to that.

Until 2005 when my wife and I bought
? ?a new car having a keyless entry radio-on-a-chain-fob. ?That
? ?fob transmitter is OOK CW. ?But, its data rate is beyond
? ?human cognition, ANY human.

Incorrect quotation AGAGIN! I did not write all those
question marks that you apparently added.

Of what relevance is that to amateur radio?

The keyless entry transmitter uses OOK CW mode!
Your favorite mode! They mode you are so inordinately
proud of! The mode that enabled you to get an amateur
extra class amateur radio license!

Aren't you more upset personally that we bought a NEW
car in 2005? And paid CA$H for it? :-) It's a nice
white exterior Chevrolet Malibu MAXX, very comfortable,
has taken us from California to Wisconsin and back, to
Washington state and back. My wife used the car
today and transmitted OOK CW without any radio license
via that keyless entry transmitter! Maybe you'd like
to inform the FCC about this "illegal use" of radio
by the unlicensed-in-any-radio-activity? :-)

? ?I have nothing against telegraphic skills nor anyone using
? ?those for personal pleasure. ?

Many of your statements elsewhere on Usenet contradict that.

Awww, poor baby. Still have the Spite spiked high with
adding all those question marks I never wrote? Yes, you
are certainly upset by what I've said.

However, in the light of
? ?advancement of the electronic arts, communications, radio,
? ?methods that ALL of us can share, I think there is an
? ?over-much emphasis by radio hobbyists on telegraphic arts.

INCORRECT QUOTATIONS AGAIN! Oh, my, still sticking your
question mark where it doesn't belong?

IOW, it's OK with you if someone uses it, as long as they don't
emphasize it.

"IOW?" Is that a morsemen's union? Oh, you mean "In
Other Words!" Oh, my, if I wanted to write "other
words," I would have written OTHER WORDS. Did I write
"other words?" No, I didn't.

Why do you say I wrote "other words" when I didn't
write other words?

Why are sticking those question marks all over my
quotes?

? ?Manual telegraphy IS a historic first but it has been
? ?supplanted in practical communications means at our
? ?disposal...on land, in the air, on the sea, and in space.

Morse Code is also practical communications.

So are blinking lights, semaphore flags, ship signal
pennants, Boy Scout wig-wag flags, railroad lights,
traffic lights (that show "go" and "stop").

Show us MODERN-DAY COMMUNICATIONS services STILL USING
morse codes...OTHER than amateur radio. Can you find
any?

And it is widely used in amateur radio today.

Not a quantitative statement. According to an ARRL
poll, OOK CW is the SECOND-PLACE mode on amateur HF
bands. It's an old poll. Maybe radio amateurs have
suddenly taken up morsemanship and are busy, busy,
busy dotting and dashing everywhere? How wonderful
for you...you now have hopes for playmates on radio
in the future!

? ?I think we should be looking FORWARD to the future, not
? ?back to the past. ?Others disagree. ?I leave it at that.

What does "FORWARD to the future" really mean in that context?

Try NOT using Knotts Berry Farm "railway station"
automated sounder in their REPRODUCTION of an old-
time rail station. Hardly an "authoritative source."
Now you show us all a Non-Amateur radio service that
regularly uses morse code mode for COMMUNICATIONS.
TODAY. This year. NOT an exhibit or reproduction.
A working service.

Better yet...bring out your WIFE, as a "witness" to
some inaccuracies I'm supposed to have stated. You
DO have a wife, don't you? And one with an amateur
radio license, right? Good lad, I knew you could...

Tsk, Jimmie put two and two together and got ate...

Chow,
LA

Old February 21st 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default The Rest of the Story CW Bands (was in Homebrew)

On Feb 20, 12:37�am, "
wrote:
* *Oh, my, some SPITE was carried over to homebrew on
* *Presidents Day just because "CW" was discussed. *I am
* *bringing it back to policy where it should go until
* *the moderated newsgroup is open.

Len wants to be the moderator, IOW,

* *Be aware that this thread in RRAH started with a simple
* *question by another asking if FCC 06-178 would "eliminate
* *the CW bands" [in amateur radio operation] *That was
* *answered.

Buit it didn't end there.

*After that it segued into discussion of early
* *(pre-1900) use of morse code then it was triggered into
* *modern times by those who feel that "CW" MUST be given
* *ten kinds of attention than anything else.

No, that's not true. Len just can't stand to see nice things
written about Morse Code.

Here's what *really* happened:

Len made a lengthy post that contained comments
on the US railroad system, landline telegraph communications,
Knott's Berry Farm and other tourist attractions, stagecoaches,
wives-and-families, Len's lack of use of Morse Code in military
communications, 50plus years ago, Len's parents watching the
lunar landings on TV, keyless auto security systems and more.

I didn't see a single word from Len in his long posting
about amateur radio homebrew.

It also contained this personal policy statement from Len:

"I have nothing against telegraphic skills nor anyone using
those for personal pleasure. However, in the light of
advancement of the electronic arts, communications,
radio, methods that ALL of us can share, I think there
is an over-much emphasis by radio hobbyists on
telegraphic arts. Manual telegraphy IS a historic first
but it has been supplanted in practical communications
means at our disposal...on land, in the air, on the sea,
and in space.

I think we should be looking FORWARD to the future, not
back to the past. Others disagree. I leave it at that."

Sure sounds like a policy discussion to me!

Now there's nothing really wrong with a little thread
drift and getting a bit off topic.

So I replied with a post of my own, commenting on some
of what Len wrote. Free speech and all that:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e=source&hl=en

But then Len got all upset and acted like a moderator:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...e=source&hl=en

Sure looks like Len has a double standard about who can post to
rrah and what they can post. It's OK for *him* to wander off topic
and make policy and opinion statements there, but when someone
rebuts his commentary, that's *not* OK with him.

Textbook case of Len's double standard.

Jim, N2EY

Old February 21st 07, 08:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: person J on 20 Feb 2007 16:42:59 -0800

? ?Oh, my, some SPITE was carried over to homebrew on
? ?Presidents Day just because "CW" was discussed. ?I am
? ?bringing it back to policy where it should go until
? ?the moderated newsgroup is open.

Len wants to be the moderator, IOW,

FACTUAL ERROR! Tsk, tsk...

? ?Be aware that this thread in RRAH started with a simple
? ?question by another asking if FCC 06-178 would "eliminate
? ?the CW bands" [in amateur radio operation] ?That was
? ?answered.

Buit it didn't end there.

What is a "buit?" Or did you make another FACTUAL ERROR?

?After that it segued into discussion of early
? ?(pre-1900) use of morse code then it was triggered into
? ?modern times by those who feel that "CW" MUST be given
? ?ten kinds of attention than anything else.

No, that's not true.

FACTUAL ERROR. IT IS VERY TRUE...with or without the "?"
additions YOU made to the quote.

Here's what *really* happened:

PERSON J MAKES ANOTHER FACTUAL ERROR...

HERE is what happened, visible by anyone at RRAH:

On Feb 12 'Julian814' asked about CW use in ham bands after
23 Feb 07.
On the same date about an hour later Michael Black stated
that this subject was not one for rec.radio.amateur.homebrew.
'Caveat Lector' made a comment next about 3 hours later.
On 13 Feb, 'GKB', Scott, John Siegel all made comments.
On 14 Feb, Geoffrey S. Mendelson made a comment from Israel.
About 3 hours later 'Julian814' posts again, followed by
Dee Flint two hours after that.
On 15 Feb Ken Scarf made a comment.
On 16 Feb Geoffrey Mendelson made another post and I replied
to that (about 3 hours later) stating some difference of
opinion on early telegraphy methods prior to 1900...based
on information obtained from several sources, including the
website of the descendents of Alfred Vail.
On 17 Feb Ken Scarf made a short comment about modern day
morse code use.
On 18 Feb I replied to that and stated that the commentary
between myself and Mendelson was about pre-1900 telegraphy.
About 2 hours later, Ian White made a long post objecting to
my comments about morse code being supplanted by other modes
and used his father-in-law and wife as "witnesses." According
to White, his father had taken his wife (and presumably the
rest of her family) to Knotts Berry Farm near Anaheim, CA,
where the father-in-law described an old railroad station
telegram station with its sounder tapping out "eat chicken
dinners" continually.
Also on 18 Feb 'Highland Ham' made a short comment.

In two posts that I made, 4 and 6 days after the first one,
the SUBJECT was addressed in some detail. There was no
overt expression of "dislike for 'CW'" by myself.

Seven days after the first post in the thread, Miccolis
just HAD to say something negative about my posting. :-)
What he 'read' is stated as follows:

Len made a lengthy post that contained comments
on the US railroad system, landline telegraph communications,
Knott's Berry Farm and other tourist attractions, stagecoaches,
wives-and-families, Len's lack of use of Morse Code in military
communications, 50plus years ago, Len's parents watching the
lunar landings on TV, keyless auto security systems and more.

The US railroad system, Knotts Berry Farm, wife and father-
in-law were first mentioned by Ian White. White's posting
made NO mention about "amateur radio homebrew" but focussed
on post-1900 telegraphy, particularly on the railroads, and
World War 2 where his father-in-law "pounded brass" while
in the military. Actually, NONE of the postings up to
18 Feb mentioned "amateur radio homebrew" except for the
second posting by Michael Black. Black correctly stated
that 'Julian814's' posting didn't belong in that newsgroup.

But, as stated, Miccolis HAD to vent his spite and make
noise while denigrating another WITHOUT addressing any
"homebrew" subjects.

I didn't see a single word from Len in his long posting
about amateur radio homebrew.

Awwww...you wanted PRAISE and HONOR just for morse code?
That's all you've been doing in the Policy newsgroup for
years, expressing your displeasure (ultimately) at the
FCC's elimination of the code test for an amateur radio
license.

Miccolis made a FACTUAL ERROR!

It also contained this personal policy statement from Len:

ANOTHER FACTUAL ERROR!

That is NOT a "personal policy statement." It is simply
a PERSONAL OPINION. Apparently NONE may have personal
OPINIONS with vetting them with Miccolis first? :-)

"I have nothing against telegraphic skills nor anyone using
those for personal pleasure. However, in the light of
advancement of the electronic arts, communications,
radio, methods that ALL of us can share, I think there
is an over-much emphasis by radio hobbyists on
telegraphic arts. Manual telegraphy IS a historic first
but it has been supplanted in practical communications
means at our disposal...on land, in the air, on the sea,
and in space.

Tsk, tsk, Miccolis "objects" to that. Unfortunately for
him it is all TRUE. The communications arts HAVE
advanced far from the pre-1900 times and technology.
Yes, manual telegraphy was the first electrical-means
communication mode over land. On wires. Using relatively
PRIMITIVE electrical technology. Yes, manual telegraphy
was the first mode for the public demonstrations of "radio"
as a communications medium in 1896...it was still as
PRIMITIVE as the technology of early radio...using no
active devices such as tubes or transistors (neither had
been invented in the first decade of "radio").

Radio is about 111 years old as a communications means.
No other radio service except amateur radio uses it for
communications, requires it to be used, and most US radio
services never bothered to require morse code when that
service was begun! Every day more than a hundred million
Americans are using some form of radio communications or
radio relay or radio telecommand that is NOT morse code.

The very last day of license testing requiring cognition
of low-rate morse code is 22 February 2007...only two
more days. After that, NO US amateur radio license exams
will require any morse code tests. Yes, US amateurs may
still USE morse code according to FCC regulations. That
will help ease their personal burdens of anger, rage, spite,
and other personal defects of behavior. They can re-enact
their dreams of "pioneering the airwaves" and "progressing
the state of the art of OOK CW" even though that had been
reached decades ago by predecessors. Let those poor soul
morsemen sweat and itch over the rightness of a federal
decision...something done not to ease THEIR self-important
delusions, but to benefit ALL. Morse code apparently
means more than life itself to some of those OOK CW
dreamers.

Miccolis, take your aggreived soul and mighty self-
importance and go somewhere where the code hive-mind is
desired. There you can bitch and moan about all the
upstarts, "error-making" persons who were doing actual
radio operating BEFORE you were born, the so-called
"moderators" who are upstaging YOUR constant attempts
at moderating them. Enjoy the company among the hive-
minds. It will be a comfort to you, a safety place
where you can be as ****ily pedantic as you were in
here. You will be applauded for such state-of-the-art
policy discussions such as "bandplans of 1940."

I don't expect you to correct all your own FACTUAL ERRORS
you made in your recent post. After all, you will "deny"
you EVER made an error! :-) That is iron-clad,
predictable. :-)

Old February 21st 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On 20 Feb 2007 23:03:07 -0800, "

From: person J on 20 Feb 2007 16:42:59 -0800

snip

I don't expect you to correct all your own FACTUAL ERRORS
you made in your recent post. After all, you will "deny"
you EVER made an error! :-) That is iron-clad,
predictable. :-)

Of that you may rest assured, Len.....he's a few posts behind already!

73, Leo
Old February 21st 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Feb 21, 1:40�pm, Leo wrote:
On 20 Feb 2007 23:03:07 -0800, "

From: person J on 20 Feb 2007 16:42:59 -0800

snip

* I don't expect you to correct all your own FACTUAL ERRORS
* you made in your recent post. *After all, you will "deny"
* you EVER made an error! * :-) * That is iron-clad,
* predictable. *:-)

Of that you may rest assured, Len.....he's a few posts behind already!

I'd say a few YEARS...but others mileage may vary... :-)

LA

Old February 22nd 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy
Leo Leo is offline

On 21 Feb 2007 13:53:17 -0800, "
wrote:

On Feb 21, 1:40?pm, Leo wrote:
On 20 Feb 2007 23:03:07 -0800, "

From: person J on 20 Feb 2007 16:42:59 -0800

snip

I don't expect you to correct all your own FACTUAL ERRORS
you made in your recent post.

fter all, you will "deny"
you EVER made an error! :-) That is iron-clad,
predictable. :-)

Of that you may rest assured, Len.....he's a few posts behind already!

I'd say a few YEARS...but others mileage may vary... :-)

You're probably right....I was thinking more of recent posts that he's
chosen not to respond to!

Add 'em up....you've got years, alright.....

LA

73, Leo
Old February 22nd 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: person J on 20 Feb 2007 16:42:59 -0800

[...]

In typical Len Anderson/Major Hoople style, you made numerous windy,
pontificating, condescending and rambling statements which were not
directed toward homebrewing anything, much less amateur radio homebrewing.

In two posts that I made, 4 and 6 days after the first one,
the SUBJECT was addressed in some detail.

Your posts were made long after Micheal Black advised the original
poster that the SUBJECT was off-topic for the newsgroup. What you did
was address a SUBJECT which didn't belong. That didn't stop Leonard H.
Anderson.

There was no
overt expression of "dislike for 'CW'" by myself.

Just covert expression, huh?

Seven days after the first post in the thread, Miccolis
just HAD to say something negative about my posting. :-)

You just HAD to say something negative or dismissive about the responses
of just about anyone who posted, but that was okay.

[...]

....while you made numerous lengthy, wandering responses and "made noise"
despite knowing that the subject was off-topic.

I didn't see a single word from Len in his long posting
about amateur radio homebrew.

Awwww...you wanted PRAISE and HONOR just for morse code?

Where was any such idea put forth?

The very last day of license testing requiring cognition
of low-rate morse code is 22 February 2007...only two
more days. After that, NO US amateur radio license exams
will require any morse code tests. Yes, US amateurs may
still USE morse code according to FCC regulations. That
will help ease their personal burdens of anger, rage, spite,
and other personal defects of behavior.

How will you ease your personal burdens of anger, rage, spite and other
personal defects of behavior as described in the N2EY profile of your
actions?

I'll be able to use Morse, FM, SSB, AM, RTTY and other digital modes on
the amateur radio bands today, on Friday and at any time after that
date. What will you be doing on the amateur radio bands after Friday,
Len? I assume it will be what you did last week or more than ten years
back--zip, zilch, nuthin'.

They can re-enact
their dreams of "pioneering the airwaves" and "progressing
the state of the art of OOK CW" even though that had been
reached decades ago by predecessors.

And you may play make-believe ham radio operator in internet newsgroups.

Let those poor soul
morsemen sweat and itch over the rightness of a federal
decision...

The decision may or may not have been "right". History will reveal
whether it was right or wrong. You may sweat, itch, live and die
without ever having been a part of amateur radio, Len.

...something done not to ease THEIR self-important
delusions, but to benefit ALL.

There has never been a fellow with more self-important delusions
participating in this newsgroup than Leonard H. Anderson,
non-participant in amateur radio.

Morse code apparently
means more than life itself to some of those OOK CW
dreamers.

That isn't apparent at all, Len. The only person to make such a
statement is you.

Miccolis, take your aggreived soul and mighty self-
importance and go somewhere where the code hive-mind is
desired.

You don't give orders here, Leonard.

The word is "aggrieved".

There you can bitch and moan about all the
upstarts, "error-making" persons who were doing actual
radio operating BEFORE you were born, the so-called
"moderators" who are upstaging YOUR constant attempts
at moderating them.

You weren't a radio amateur before Jim was born and you haven't become
one since Jim was born. You've not upstaged anyone, Len. You're
irrelevant to amateur radio.

Enjoy the company among the hive-
minds. It will be a comfort to you, a safety place
where you can be as ****ily pedantic as you were in
here. You will be applauded for such state-of-the-art
policy discussions such as "bandplans of 1940."

Along comes Major Hoople to stand on the sidewalk and tell us how
amateur radio should be regulated. Your comfort is usenet, Leonard.
You've found a place where you can tell those upstart radio amateurs
about your glory days of fifty-plus years ago. You can expound on your
past working years, describe your northern and southern homes, tell
folks about your car and prescribe sage advice about horizontally
mounted loops, shielded with Reynolds Wrap (coaxial cable must have been
in short supply).

Dave K8MN
Old February 23rd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Dave Heil on Thu, 22 Feb
2007 15:44:05 GMT

PERSON J MAKES ANOTHER FACTUAL ERROR...

WHO is "person J," red-hatted one?

WHO are all the other "Persons" mentioned? :-)

Your posts were made long after Micheal Black advised the original
poster that the SUBJECT was off-topic for the newsgroup. What you did
was address a SUBJECT which didn't belong. That didn't stop Leonard H.
Anderson.

Feel free to address the Appelate Court of Internet Appeals,
file a Notice of Intent to Sue.

[Sue is the clerk of the court...]

There was no overt expression of "dislike for 'CW'" by myself.

Just covert expression, huh?

"Covert?!?" Did you find some developing fluid to make the
"secret hidden message" visible to all? :-)

Or have you drunk that "developing fluid" too hastily? :-)

You just HAD to say something negative or dismissive about the responses
of just about anyone who posted, but that was okay.

"Just about 'anyone' who posted?!?" Heh heh heh, only
about some organ grinders and their little red-hatted
morse monkeys who do bad imitations of Otto Preminger.

...while you made numerous lengthy, wandering responses and "made noise"
despite knowing that the subject was off-topic.

WHO established this "off-topic" status? YOU didn't.
Miccolis didn't. RRAH is an unmoderated newsgroup.

Awwww...you wanted PRAISE and HONOR just for morse code?

Where was any such idea put forth?

Oh, just in hundreds of past postings by the organ
grinder and his little red-hatted morse monkey for
years... :-)

How will you ease your personal burdens of anger, rage, spite and other
personal defects of behavior as described in the N2EY profile of your
actions?

Ooooooo! I have all those things? :-)

I will continue, as I've done before, of laughing my
head off at the FACTUAL ERROR-FILLED "profiles" your
organ grinder cranked out. :-)

I'll be able to use Morse, FM, SSB, AM, RTTY and other digital modes on
the amateur radio bands today, on Friday and at any time after that
date.

Wonderful...who was STOPPING you before? Hollingsworth?
Martin? The CIA?

What will you be doing on the amateur radio bands after Friday,
Len?

Was I supposed to be "doing something on the amateur radio
bands?" :-)

"On the bands?" No, you should have written "IN" the bands.

Tsk, tsk, factual English Error!

Hmmm...not that it's any of YOUR nosy business, but we (that
is, my wife and I) have plans and events for the week-end.
The AAA 500 is on at the California Speedway in Fontana on
Sunday...one example.

And you may play make-believe ham radio operator in internet newsgroups.

I do that?!? Oh, my, you DO have a terrible ability to
read...

Tsk, I've never claimed to be either an amateur radio
operator or a "ham radio" operator in real life or in
newsgroups, not on BBS or in correspondence with amateur
radio organizations. Don't even play one on TV.

You are confused and think I am someone else...

The decision may or may not have been "right". History will reveal
whether it was right or wrong.

We can rest assured that the organ grinder and his little
red-hatted morse monkey will OVER-RIDE any "decisions of
history!" :-)

THEY are always telling everyone what they should think!

You may sweat, itch, live and die
without ever having been a part of amateur radio, Len.

That isn't causing me any worry. :-)

It DOES seem to bother YOU a great deal! Have you sought
medical help for your condition?

There has never been a fellow with more self-important delusions
participating in this newsgroup than Leonard H. Anderson,
non-participant in amateur radio.

Now, now, don't put yourself and Miccolis down so much.
Either one of you are much more self-important than I.
It is and has been repeated by you two in here for years.

Did you know that "radio" is used in OTHER radio services
and by the military and government of the USA? Really.
"Amateur radio" isn't the sole user of radio. Really.

You don't give orders here, Leonard.

Jawhol! Gruss Gott herr Kommandant! click heels in
acknowledgement

You weren't a radio amateur before Jim was born and you haven't become
one since Jim was born.

Who is "Jim?" Is he the one cranking that rusty organ?

Tsk, tsk, and doing that in public view, too!!

You're irrelevant to amateur radio.

So you keep saying! Well, say it enough times and maybe
someone besides this "Jim" will believe you. That's the
spirit of using the "Big Lie" technique of propaganda.

Along comes Major Hoople to stand on the sidewalk and tell us how
amateur radio should be regulated.

Who is this "Major Hoople?" I don't know any "Major
Hoople." You say he was in the newspaper comic strips?
I never saw that strip. Did you have it mixed up with
Hal Foster's "Prince Valiant?" Or Milton Caniff's
"Terry and the Pirates?" "The Katzenjammer Kids?"

I know of a "Major Bowes" who used to host an old, old
radio broadcast show called "Major Bowes' Amateur Hour."
The few times I heard that did not include anything
about radio amateurs. I didn't listen to it much, so
maybe other airings of that program had something about
amateur radio?

Your comfort is usenet, Leonard.

It is? I don't think so. My comfort is my wife, a nice
home (two of them, debt free), good food, good health,
and a nice collection of money earned at a profession
I've chosen and enjoyed in my working career. Others'
mileage obviously varies...

You've found a place where you can tell those upstart radio amateurs
about your glory days of fifty-plus years ago.

"Glory days?" Nah. Just a citizen volunteering for
military service, serving and doing what he was told
to do. Your organ grinding master never did that.

Anyone can see it at:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...s/My3Years.pdf

About 6 MB file size, may take 18 minutes download on a
dial-up connection. 20 pages, lots of photos, mostly
ones I took.

You can expound on your
past working years, describe your northern and southern homes, tell
folks about your car and prescribe sage advice about horizontally
mounted loops, shielded with Reynolds Wrap (coaxial cable must have been
in short supply).

I can? Oh, my, you said at the beginning that I COULDN'T!

Please make up your mind.

The late-1960s horizontal loop was an experiment that didn't
work out too well. Too much inductance, too many turns of
wire...with too much inductance the resonating capacity was
too small to allow fixed tuning at 60 KHz. A later version
used 55 turns of #14 THHN insulation electric power wire
(solid) on a 2 1/2-foot circular form (again for 60 KHz,
the carrier frequency of WWVB out of Ft. Collins, CO),
wrapped with twine and varnished. That was wrapped with
aluminum foil for an electrostatic shield, not a continuous
connection. That was wrapped in more twine and varnished
three times. Two 10-foot 75 Ohm "TV cable" sections were
connected to it in balanced configuration, the two coax
cables' ground at the center-tap. The cable capacity makes
up part of the 60 KHz resonant tuning, final trimming done
by a 2-section "BC band" variable capacitor. Input below
the vertically-oriented loop is to a differential FET
source-follower pair to a voltage-controlled-gain
differential amplifier. Oriented NE towards Ft. Collins,
it provides a good signal from WWVB which is then limited
as well as mildly bandpass filtered. The limiter output
provides a fairly steady carrier at 60 KHz which feeds a
phase-frequency-detector comparing a 60 KHz quartz-crystal
oscillator which is electronically trimmed through the PLL
loop filter (time-constant about 2 seconds) so that the
crystal oscillator remains in phase with the WWVB carrier.
Overall receiving bandwidth is narrower than 0.5 Hz so the
equivalent signal-to-noise ratio is high. A second PLL
uses the 60 KHz crystal oscillator as reference to compare
the 10 MHz time-base oscillator of a frequency counter,
both divided down to 1 Second period for the second phase-
frequency detector. That way I am always assured of an
accurate frequency counter reading good to better than
100 Parts Per Billion (not Million).

Note: The "receiver" (a basic TRF configuration) is held
stabilized in a slow-speed AGC loop with a small meter
readout of carrier level. Limiter action is about 55 db
compression so the AGC loop turned out to be redundant.
The observed maximum-to-minimum signal strength from WWVB
(about 1 KMile distant) has been less than 10 db (in
power) during about two years of use. This is less than
the predicted variations published by NIST on their time-
frequency pages at www.nist.gov. Observed transients
and noise at the limiter output from all other electrical
sources in the household are no more than about -30 dbm
of minimum received carrier level. Internal DC supply
is double and triple series-regulated to obtain +12 and
+5 VDC operating voltages. I may add a battery-backup
inside the 1/10th cubic foot enclosure later to
replace the external small UPS. It would be nice to
compare the 10 KHz internal divider signal agains a
rubidium oscillator standard in the future. Right now
I am satisfied with the accuracy checked in several
other ways, no need for doing an Allan Variance.

Thanks for asking...

Old February 23rd 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

From: Dave Heil on Thu, 22 Feb
2007 15:44:05 GMT

PERSON J MAKES ANOTHER FACTUAL ERROR...

WHO is "person J," red-hatted one?

Oh, you've mistaken me for Brian. You used the term "PERSON J". Don't
you know?

Your posts were made long after Micheal Black advised the original
poster that the SUBJECT was off-topic for the newsgroup. What you did
was address a SUBJECT which didn't belong. That didn't stop Leonard H.
Anderson.

Feel free to address the Appelate Court of Internet Appeals,
file a Notice of Intent to Sue.

[Sue is the clerk of the court...]

Maybe you didn't understand my statements. You made posts long after
Michael Black advised the original poster that the SUBJECT was off-topic
for the rec.radio.amateur.homebrew newsgroup.

There was no overt expression of "dislike for 'CW'" by myself.

Just covert expression, huh?

"Covert?!?" Did you find some developing fluid to make the
"secret hidden message" visible to all? :-)

That's right, covert. If something isn't done overtly, it is done covertly.

You just HAD to say something negative or dismissive about the responses
of just about anyone who posted, but that was okay.

"Just about 'anyone' who posted?!?" Heh heh heh, only
about some organ grinders and their little red-hatted
morse monkeys who do bad imitations of Otto Preminger.

You're the old organ grinder. Brian is your little red-hatted monkey.
In fact, you're the fellow who likes using the Germanic lingo and who
keeps Godwin's name alive in this newsgroup.

...while you made numerous lengthy, wandering responses and "made noise"
despite knowing that the subject was off-topic.

WHO established this "off-topic" status?

I've told you twice now: Michael Black did.

YOU didn't.

No, I didn't. Michael Black did.

Miccolis didn't.

No, Jim didn't do it. Michael Black did.

RRAH is an unmoderated newsgroup.

Yes, it is.

Awwww...you wanted PRAISE and HONOR just for morse code?

Where was any such idea put forth?

Oh, just in hundreds of past postings by the organ
grinder and his little red-hatted morse monkey for
years... :-)

I know you read Brian's stuff but I wasn't aware that you were reading
your own voluminous output. Your eyes must be glazed over by now.

How will you ease your personal burdens of anger, rage, spite and other
personal defects of behavior as described in the N2EY profile of your
actions?

Ooooooo! I have all those things? :-)

It is evident from your posts.

I will continue, as I've done before, of laughing my
head off at the FACTUAL ERROR-FILLED "profiles" your
organ grinder cranked out. :-)

Organ grinder: You
Little red-hatted monkey: Brian

I don't think you find the very accurate N2EY profile of your actions to
be humorous, Len. I don't think you like it one bit.

I'll be able to use Morse, FM, SSB, AM, RTTY and other digital modes on
the amateur radio bands today, on Friday and at any time after that
date.

Wonderful...who was STOPPING you before?

Nothing at all stopped me before. Nothing will stop me afterward.

What will you be doing on the amateur radio bands after Friday,
Len?

Was I supposed to be "doing something on the amateur radio
bands?" :-)

Well, you were going to have an Extra Class license "right out of the
box" seven years ago.

"On the bands?" No, you should have written "IN" the bands.

Tsk, tsk, factual English Error!

I made no error, Len. I frequently ask my friend John, "what's on the
bands?" I might ask, "what's on TV?" If I asked, "what's in TV?", that
wouldn't be the same question.

Hmmm...not that it's any of YOUR nosy business, but we (that
is, my wife and I) have plans and events for the week-end.

Awwwww! Isn't that nice.

The AAA 500 is on at the California Speedway in Fontana on
Sunday...one example.

Is that a plan or an event?

And you may play make-believe ham radio operator in internet newsgroups.

I do that?!? Oh, my, you DO have a terrible ability to
read...

Tsk, I've never claimed to be either an amateur radio
operator or a "ham radio" operator in real life or in
newsgroups, not on BBS or in correspondence with amateur
radio organizations. Don't even play one on TV.

I wrote "make-believe", Len. I know you aren't a real radio amateur.

You are confused and think I am someone else...

I couldn't make that mistake.

The decision may or may not have been "right". History will reveal
whether it was right or wrong.

We can rest assured that the organ grinder and his little
red-hatted morse monkey will OVER-RIDE any "decisions of
history!" :-)

So you and Brian are still a duo?

THEY are always telling everyone what they should think!

Yes, you do.

You may sweat, itch, live and die
without ever having been a part of amateur radio, Len.

That isn't causing me any worry. :-)

You write like a very formal Alfred E. Neuman.

It DOES seem to bother YOU a great deal!

Let's examine that idea: You believe that it bothers me that you won't
be a part of amateur radio?

Have you sought
medical help for your condition?

Help? I may drink a toast!

There has never been a fellow with more self-important delusions
participating in this newsgroup than Leonard H. Anderson,
non-participant in amateur radio.

Now, now, don't put yourself and Miccolis down so much.

Jim's name isn't Leonard H. Anderson. My name isn't Leonard H. Anderson.

Either one of you are much more self-important than I.

....but neither of us would dream of attempting to change the regulations
governing something in which we are not involved.

It is and has been repeated by you two in here for years.

Actually, it has not. Such statements have come from the likes of you.

Did you know that "radio" is used in OTHER radio services
and by the military and government of the USA? Really.

Did you know that this is an amateur radio newsgroup? Really.

"Amateur radio" isn't the sole user of radio. Really.

Were you aware that this newsgroup is about amateur radio? Did you know
that I'd be in a different radio newsgroup if I were interested in
discussion other users of the radio spectrum?

You don't give orders here, Leonard.

Jawhol! Gruss Gott herr Kommandant! click heels in
acknowledgement

Why'd you snip the part where you were telling others to go away?

You weren't a radio amateur before Jim was born and you haven't become
one since Jim was born.

Who is "Jim?" Is he the one cranking that rusty organ?

It'd be my guess that you've got the rustiest organ here, Len.

You're irrelevant to amateur radio.

So you keep saying!

I surely do. I write it because it happens to be true. All I have to
do is wait and see if I'm prescient.

Well, say it enough times and maybe
someone besides this "Jim" will believe you.

Numerous folks already believe it. They do so because it is the truth.

That's the spirit of using the "Big Lie" technique of propaganda.

No, it isn't. That technique does not involve stating a truth over and
over until people begin to believe that it is a lie. In that technique,
the inverse is the case.

Along comes Major Hoople to stand on the sidewalk and tell us how
amateur radio should be regulated.

Who is this "Major Hoople?" I don't know any "Major
Hoople." You say he was in the newspaper comic strips?
I never saw that strip. Did you have it mixed up with
Hal Foster's "Prince Valiant?" Or Milton Caniff's
"Terry and the Pirates?" "The Katzenjammer Kids?"

http://www.toonopedia.com/hoople.htm

Your comfort is usenet, Leonard.

It is? I don't think so.

....but it is.

You've found a place where you can tell those upstart radio amateurs
about your glory days of fifty-plus years ago.

"Glory days?" Nah. Just a citizen volunteering for
military service, serving and doing what he was told
to do. Your organ grinding master never did that.

Anyone can see it at:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...s/My3Years.pdf

About 6 MB file size, may take 18 minutes download on a
dial-up connection. 20 pages, lots of photos, mostly
ones I took.

Your glory days.

You can expound on your
past working years, describe your northern and southern homes, tell
folks about your car and prescribe sage advice about horizontally
mounted loops, shielded with Reynolds Wrap (coaxial cable must have been
in short supply).

I can? Oh, my, you said at the beginning that I COULDN'T!

No, I don't believe I did. There are places where you shouldn't.
That doesn't mean that you couldn't.

Please make up your mind.

The late-1960s horizontal loop was an experiment that didn't
work out too well. Too much inductance, too many turns of
wire...with too much inductance the resonating capacity was
too small to allow fixed tuning at 60 KHz. A later version
used 55 turns of #14 THHN insulation electric power wire
(solid) on a 2 1/2-foot circular form (again for 60 KHz,
the carrier frequency of WWVB out of Ft. Collins, CO),
wrapped with twine and varnished. That was wrapped with
aluminum foil for an electrostatic shield, not a continuous
connection. much snipped

Okay, I understand that your problem was that you didn't know much about
shielded loops.

You could have easily made the loop from coaxial cable. All you'd have
needed to do was leave about a one-inch gap in the shield. A single
turn "sense" loop may or may not be placed inside the windings of the
shielded loop. As the loop is a loss antenna, it is very likely that a
preamp would have been needed. I have a two-turn 5 foot diameter
version mounted about a foot off the ground. It is resonant at 1.850
MHz. With a preamp it does a good job of minimizing local noise. It is
not as good at providing readable copy as a 565 foot long terminated
beverage without a preamp. At no time was the use of any Reynolds Wrap
required.

Dave K8MN
Old February 23rd 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

There's no such thing as "Presidents Day"

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/presi...presidents.asp