Old February 21st 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default No Code VEC

"John Smith I" wrote in message

To those who say "NAY! NEVER!" I award the venerable
"cat-ass-trophy."

Len:

I think all whos' only purpose is for the continuation of amateur radio in
a relevant and up-to-date manner will agree, logical questions, exams,
examiners, methods and procedures need to be established, followed, and
upheld--and, especially in regards to realignment with present rules and
regulations.

Attrition should continue on at its' accelerating pace and shortly remove
any doubt as to the death of morse. CW is a problem which has fittingly
supplied its' own fix and is now engaged in implementing that fix (death.)

All new hams need only be aware of the past sins of arrl and the fanatic
devotion to CW and personalities as opposed to principals which has caused
cat-ass-trophy-type-damage to amateur radio and to steer clear of the arrl
or any movements to re-establish some pseudo-class system amongst amateurs
and thereby replace the "CW class system" with a new and equally insane
and damaging one.

We need history to help us avoid making the same old mistakes anew ...

The old-timers need to be avoided like the plague. The old failed methods
and tactics need to be avoided. The future needs to meet up with amateur
radio and bring it to life in the new millennium.

JS

And your specific proposals are? Just saying that one needs to avoid the
old and come up with something new is useless. Concrete ideas and specific
plans are needed.

Dee, N8UZE

Old February 22nd 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

And your specific proposals are? Just saying that one needs to avoid the
old and come up with something new is useless. Concrete ideas and specific
plans are needed.

Dee, N8UZE

Dee:

Concrete and specific?

OK. Let us persuade manufactures to create more transceivers which plug
into our computer buses (pci/usb/etc.) Let the standard amateur amp be
a 1mhz-12ghz laboratory amp.

Let us see these mass produced in china and the cost drop by magnitudes.
Let us see high school electronic classes assisting students get ham
tickets.

Let us put the focus of amateur radio where it rightly belongs,
equipment and licenses in the hands of those who are making the future
while living towards the future.

JS
Old February 22nd 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
Let us see high school electronic classes assisting students get ham
tickets.

I teach GED classes in the local cisd system. The
web server firewall blocks access to anything associated
with amateur radio because it is "entertainment".
www.arrl.org access is blocked right along with all the
other undesirable web sites. My protestations have
fallen on deaf ears.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old February 22nd 07, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Let us see high school electronic classes assisting students get ham
tickets.

I teach GED classes in the local cisd system. The
web server firewall blocks access to anything associated
with amateur radio because it is "entertainment".
www.arrl.org access is blocked right along with all the
other undesirable web sites. My protestations have
fallen on deaf ears.

Cecil:

I was lucky, we got the college to purchase "sheriff cards" for ALL the
PCs in our computer labs.

Each time a new student logs on, the OS is complete reinstalled in
memory and rebooted--NO TROJANS, NO KEY-LOGGERS, NO VIRUSES, ETC. And,
this is QUICK!!!

There is not a site on the planet we have to "shield" our computers
and/or labs from, free speech and free access to information is the
foundation of our labs. The students at our institution are privileged
to the most democratic form of data sharing I can possibly imagine, the
value of this is demonstrated by the caliber and quality of our CS grads.

However, this was a hard fought fight. With the IT management and
security fighting every move towards open access ...

Ignorance, control and "secrets" are the most evil of evils ...

Regards,
JS
Old February 23rd 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

And your specific proposals are? Just saying that one needs to avoid the
old and come up with something new is useless. Concrete ideas and
specific plans are needed.

Dee, N8UZE

Dee:

Concrete and specific?

OK. Let us persuade manufactures to create more transceivers which plug
into our computer buses (pci/usb/etc.) Let the standard amateur amp be a
1mhz-12ghz laboratory amp.

Most of the new transceivvers do plug into our computers so that one is
already done.
How are you going to convince manufacturers to produce these amps. Goods
live and die by supply and demand. Such an amp will be expensive no matter
where or by whom it is produced.

Let us see these mass produced in china and the cost drop by magnitudes.

Again goods live and die by supply and demand. There demand isn't high
enough for this to happen.

Let us see high school electronic classes assisting students get ham
tickets.

This is a goal that needs more detailed thought. Who is going to lead the
effort to convince the states and local school boards to add this to
electronics classes?
Who is going to lead the effort to have high schools even have electronics
classes. None of the schools my children attended even had a classe.
Who is going to lead the effort to make such a class a requirement for all
high school students? Afterall you do want to reach everyone.

You can't just throw the idea out there and expect some one else to pick up
the ball and run with it.

Let us put the focus of amateur radio where it rightly belongs, equipment
and licenses in the hands of those who are making the future while living
towards the future.

These days it's difficult to find people really interested in pursuing
technology of any kinds. Most people fall into the user category and simply
expect technology to be available for whatever it is they want to do. They
are not interested in creating the technology. We are becoming a society of
consumers not creators.

Dee, N8UZE