Old March 4th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default A "Codeless Revolution?"

SOME OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE CODELESS "REVOLUTION"

Based solely on www.hamdata.com published statistics from
22 February to 3 March 2007, there doesn't seem to be the
kind of "revolution" nor the influx of CB hordes expected
by the long-timers. Specifically, the table below uses the
small block of daily statistics that appears to the left of
the license class totals. Since the data of the data
is derived from FCC database files, the numberic values
represent daily quantities from FCC actions the day befo

NEW EXPIRED UPDATES CALL CHG. CLASS CHG
=== ======= ======= ========= =========
22 Feb, Thu. 174 172 894 49 88
23 Feb, Fri. 78 83 432 5 44
24 Feb, Sat. 190 127 494 47 121
25 Feb, Sun. 1 95 195 20 13
26 Feb, Mon. 0 0 58 0 0
27 Feb, Tue. 144 2 700 13 347
28 Feb, Wed. 99 168 846 44 89
1 Mar, Thu. 138 203 783 13 369
2 Mar, Fri. 87 204 729 12 346
3 Mar, Sat. 85 168 724 83 270

NEW = Never before licensed or retest after long absence
EXPIRED = Past the two-year grace period
UPDATES = Renewals, address changes, adminstrative
changes, not 'upgrades' to another class
CALL CHG = Changed call sign of existing license
CLASS CHG = Changed class of license (mostly 'upgrades')

Numbers for 25 and 26 Feb idicate the weekend off for FCC;
Expirations would probably be automatic as a result of
computer check of pre-determined grace period end. The
Updates column may be a result of more automation from
renewals received and thus might be due to just computer
activity automatically changing the licensing dates.

Tuesday the 27th probably indicates the beginning of the
"deluge" of VEC input that arrived on the Monday before.
The sudden jump in Class Changes is no doubt from existing
"lower" class Techs or Tech Plusses moving up to General.
What is interesting is that there don't seem to be ANY
significant change of NEW licensees' daily numbers. Those
have overwhelmingly come from unlicensed entering the Tech
class and have been at a constant increase since Tech was
created in 1991. The totals of Technician class HAVE
started to drop since the 23rd of February and continue
to decrease slowly; it is very certain that class'
licensees have upgraded to General or Extra now that there
is no code test requirement.

Whatever, it seems clear at a week after 06-178 became
legal that there isn't much of any influx of newcomers.

In the last 12 months www.hamdata.com reports that 22,609
NEW licensees entered. In the same period, 29,096 licenses
EXPIRED. Licensee grand total dropped by 6,487 in that
past period. A good thing or bad one?

Old March 4th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 3, 10:30 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Well, I see it as people are no longer interested in Ham Radio. The
internet is here. People hang out at boards like Nim Busters and do
talk shows these days...

Well, this data also puts them extra-class blow hards at ease. We
dont them all having heart attacks and becoming silent keys.... Lest
we have less hams then...

Old March 4th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 4, 12:36 am, "Lloyd A Davies" wrote:
On Mar 3, 10:30 pm, "
wrote:

Well, this data also puts them extra-class blow hards at ease. We
dont them all having heart attacks and becoming silent keys.... Lest
we have less hams then...-

sadly some of them we can well spare and frankly it might spare them a
lot of pain too

Old March 4th 07, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 3, 11:30 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Eventually, they'll all be Extras and my wish for a one class amateur
radio service will be fulfilled. We should change the name of that
license to: Amateur.

Old March 4th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

There will ultimately be two classes of ham radio license.

Tech, and Extra.

Or Class A and Class B. A VHF+ entry-level license, and a license with all
privileges.

Just as I suggested in my Y2K NPRM restructuring comments, I might add.

Old March 4th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 3, 11:30 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

While I agree that a significant percentage will go on to Extra, I also
think that there will be a noticeable percentage who will stay at General.
Unless you are into contesting or DXing, there is not a lot of advantage to
getting an Extra.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 4th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"KH6HZ" wrote in message
There will ultimately be two classes of ham radio license.

Tech, and Extra.

Or Class A and Class B. A VHF+ entry-level license, and a license with all
privileges.

Just as I suggested in my Y2K NPRM restructuring comments, I might add.

I disagree. My bet is that we'll indeed have a de facto two level license
system but I think they will be General and Extra. The step from Tech to
General is not that difficult and the licensee will have access to all
modes, power levels and bands. Unless you are into DXing, contesting or
being a VE, the additional privileges that Extra licensees have are not that
much of an advantage.

I, for one, encourage all those studying for Technician to go ahead and get
the General study guide and go for it either at the first sitting or as soon
as possible thereafter. The Technician will be basically turn into a very
temporary way station on their climb up the ladder.

In my opinion, the Technicians who stay at that level will primarily be
those who are inactive.

Dee, N8UZE

Old March 4th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 4, 9:00 am, "Dee Flint" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 3, 11:30 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Dee, as a Technician (from Novice), I enjoyed DXing and Contesting on
10M SSB. Lots of fun.

Old March 4th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mar 4, 9:10 am, "Dee Flint" wrote:
"KH6HZ" wrote in message

There will ultimately be two classes of ham radio license.

Tech, and Extra.

Or Class A and Class B. A VHF+ entry-level license, and a license with all
privileges.

Just as I suggested in my Y2K NPRM restructuring comments, I might add.

I disagree. My bet is that we'll indeed have a de facto two level license
system but I think they will be General and Extra.

I've been on record for a long, long time advocating a one license
"system." However, I've compromised with Hans suggestion of a simple
entry level license, and a full license. Whover said we needed more
license classes ought to have his head examined.

Old March 4th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 4, 9:00 am, "Dee Flint" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Mar 3, 11:30 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

Yup, 10 meters is a fun band. However as a Tech, you only get part of it.
While there can certainly be a lot of DX in the Tech portion, I've seen it
full from top to bottom with DX during a contest if the band is open. You
could have even more fun if you upgrade.

When the band has been really open, I've enjoyed working up at the top end
where FM is allowed.

However, my comment was addressing the avid, heavy duty DXer/contester. For
the casual operator, the General usually conveys a wide enough range of
spectrum.

Dee, N8UZE