RadioBanter

-   -   Latest News - Morse Code Test May Not "Die" at ITU Conference. (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26576-re-latest-news-morse-code-test-may-not-%22die%22-itu-conference.html)

Ryan, KC8PMX July 1st 03 05:44 AM

Don't know about our local group but I heard something like around a 100
morse code contacts (all bands being used) and around 70-80 voice mode
contacts.

Myself and about 1/3 to 1/2 of our local club pretty much boycotted Field
Day this year..... (issues with local club)

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

How did others fare?

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY July 1st 03 05:16 PM

Latest News - Morse Code Test May Not "Die" at ITU Conference.

(Len Over 21)erroneously wrote in message ...
In article ,
(N2EY),
writes:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article ,

(N2EY)
writes:

Visual blending depends on the individual, but is around 20 flashes (dits)
per second.

The correct term is "persistence of vision." :-)

A term which is actually a misnomer:

Oh goodie, an "optical expert" you are now? :-)

I don't claim to be an expert at motiuon picture projection, Len. But
I do know some facts on the subject that you don't know. Apparently
that bothers you a great deal.

When were you ever an "expert" in optics in addition to doing your
"electrical engineering" thing?

One does not have to be an expert to know more than you do, Len ;-)

Just curious since I was directly
involved in a rather large DoD contract at Rockwell on an
interferometer.

Did the interferometer project motion pictures?

Had to work with lots of high-level optical
physicist types.

So? That doesn't correct your error.

Methinks you have a terrible "persistence of righteousness" about
your output in here. :-)

No, it's your "persistence of error" that causes you to insult the
messenger.

http://www.grand-illusions.com/percept.htm

There's the facts. But there are none so blind as those who will not
bother to look.

The actual persistence threshold varies with individuals and can
go down to 15 "flashes" per second. That seems to be a combined
function of the retinal cells and cerebral visual cortex.

Motion picture speed is 24 frames per second, but to eliminate flicker ecah
frame is flashed on the screen twice by means of a rotating shutter.

Not quite.

How "not quite"?

Modern standard sound motion pictures run at 24 frames per second. But each
frame is flashed on the screen twice, so there are 48 images per second on
the screen. A two-bladed rotary shutter is usually used in the projector.

Back when I actually RAN a projector in a cinema, the film rate was
24 frames per second.

That's what I wrote, at least twice, above. 24 frames per second is
the rate film goes through the projector. But it is not the rate at
which images are flashed on the screen.

Back when I was actually running a 16mm
projector, the film rate was 24 frames per second.

That's what I wrote, at least twice, above. 24 frames per second is
the rate film goes through the projector. But it is not the rate at
which images are flashed on the screen.

Once, when I rented
an 8mm projector to see some home movies of family, the film rate
was 24 frames per second.

That's what I wrote, at least twice, above. 24 frames per second is
the rate film goes through the projector. But it is not the rate at
which images are flashed on the screen.

While I never got a Masters in Optics,

I don't think you have an accredited degree in anything, Len ;-)

I can't ever recall any projectors that flashed on an image twice or any
other multiples.

Forgetful, huh? Here's a hint: Except for some museum pieces, they all
do it. T

All the mechanisms I've seen had the simple pawl
and shutter arrangement to blank the projected image during the
frame pull-down time.

Then you haven't seen any projectors newer than the 1920s or so.

The eye sees 24 frames per second and the eye-brain combination
perceives motion on a frame-to-frame basis.

24 frames per second. 48 images per second. Each frame is projected
twice. At 24 images per second, many people see objectionable flicker.
Which is where the term "flicks" came from.

It doesn't make any
difference if the SAME frame is flashed on twice, thrice, or quadruple
times.

Yes, it does. See the references.

What you and everyone else sees is those 24 frames per
second.

24 frames per second. 48 images per second. Each frame is projected
twice. At 24 images per second, many people see objectionable flicker.

The rate doesn't vary more than allowed by the internal
projector rate controls.

Feel free to post your American Cinematographer's association card
membership number.

Don't need one. Anybody who knows how projectors work knows I'm right
and you're wrong.

In the early silent film era, a speed of 16 frames per second was common, and
three-bladed shutter was usually used in the projector. Again, 48 images per
second.

The last time I saw any "silent films" was at the Rosenwald Museum
of Science and Industry in Chicago some time around 1950.

So?

The shutter is there to blank the "pull-down" time when
the geneva mechanism and pawl yank down the next frame.

That's not the only thing the shutter does. It also blanks the screen halfway
between pulldown intervals so that each frame is flashed on the screen twice.

...and you can send morse code in between the dits and dahs of
your solid-state break-in T/R switch.

Nope. I never claimed that. You are mistaken.

Of course you can. You SAY so therefore you are absolutely correct.

Nope. I never claimed that. You are mistaken.

What I CAN do when operating QSK/break-in CW/Morse is HEAR the receive
frequency between dits and dahs. Which is one of the big advantages of
CW/Morse over other modes. The first setup I used with that feature
was a homebrew station I designed and built about 1973. It used a
highspeed keying relay and a vacuum-tube TR switch.

Like it or not, I know far more about the subject of QSK/break-in
Morse/CW than you do, Len.

The
intermittent movement requires a free loop of film before and after
the shutter mechanism so that the supply and take-up reels can
move at an approximate constant rate. Note: A geneva wheel may
not be used in cheaper projectors but was standard in cinema
projectors for decades; there are other, simpler pull-downs.

Irrelevant to the discussion.

So is the subject of motion picture projection and your "48 per second"
frame rate.

24 frames per second. 48 images per second. Each frame is projected
twice. At 24 images per second, many people see objectionable flicker.

Motion picture frame rate standards are still 24 per second and that
is what nearly everyone sees. That's a comporomise between the
maintenance of persistence of vision and length of film needed for a
given time.

48 images per second. See:

http://www.bbctv-ap.freeserve.co.uk/supfr3.htm

or any reliable reference on motion picture projection.

Go for it...DEMAND to be recognized now also as an optical
expert.

I don't demand a thing, Len old boy.

As far as I'm concerned, the acquaintences I have in the motion
picture industry don't agree with you.

You don't understand how projectors work, Len.

For nearly all film projectors and editors, it is still 24 per second.

Incorrect.

:-) Check with the motion picture standards folks. Since before WW2
the motion picture frame rate has been 24 images per second.

24 frames per second. 48 images per second. Each frame is projected
twice. At 24 images per second, many people see objectionable flicker.

The frame rate and the image rate are not the same.

You're simply wrong on this, Len. 24 frames per second, 48 images per second.

Be a big boy and admit it.

What is a "big boy?"

Somebody mature enough to admit a mistake and learn something new.
Which leaves you out, Len.

Kim W5TIT July 2nd 03 03:47 AM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Kim W5TIT"

writes:

The time I spent learning the Morse code and increasing my skill in
order to upgrade to 20-WPM Extra-class status was in investment that
paid off in what has become, so far, over 20 years of enjoyable HF CW
operation. I'm certainly glad I didn't decide to devote that time to
"something else" -- especially if that may have been hours of yakking
into a microphone!

73 de Larry, K3LT

So. You're thinking that people would have actually made a conscious
decision to stay "verbally engaged" with you for hours, huh?

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

I'm not so sure about that. In any case, I never allowed it to happen!
Back in the days when I did regularly use HF phone, about 10 minutes
of listening to the same boring old bowel and bladder reports was all
I could stand!

73 de Larry, K3LT

I have no doubt you found those frequencies quite entertaining, albeit
shortlived. You should have tried some constructive listening...

Kim W5TIT

Phil Kane July 2nd 03 04:58 AM

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 20:37:38 -0500, Kim W5TIT wrote:

For instance, I happen to absolutely know I would not enjoy jumping out of
an airplane to parachute. I've never tried it, no. But I don't intend to
because "it's just not me."

Funny that you should say that, because just this evening at dinner
my wife was relating that one of her co-workers is an ex-paratrooper
who absolutely gets the shakes and white knuckles when he has to fly
as a passenger in a commercial airliner and land on a runway sitting
in his seat - he has no problems when it's just him and 10,000 feet of
thin air between him and the ground.

Me, I had problems falling off a ladder at 8 feet above ground,
twisting my knee - after 30 years the knee started bothering me
again.

To each his own.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

N2EY July 2nd 03 10:23 AM

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dee D.

Flint"
writes:

This weekend's Field Day was a prime example of the benefits of CW.

Bands
were very poor most of the weekend and the voice stations struggled to

find
contacts late in the event. Our CW stations far outstripped the voice
stations in total number of contacts.

Worst conditions in a long time.

FD 2003 at N2EY (1B-1 Battery, EPA):

Setup:

K2 #2084 at 5 W outout with KAT2, KAF2, powered by external 7 AH gel cell.
Homebrew coax-fed inverted V with traps, apex at 47 feet, ends at 25 feet,
oriented north-south. About 14 hours on the air.

Results:

80 CW: 89 QSOs
40 CW: 115 QSOs
20 CW: 15 QSOs
Total QSOs: 219 QSOs (2190 QSO points)
Bonuses: Emergency power, W1AW bulletin, message to SM (300 bonus points)
Total raw sco 2490 points

How did others fare?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Well I don't have the club's totals (club call W8HP with our GOTA station on
W8JXU) but our CW guys did well and I took a turn at both of our CW
stations.

I recall working W8HP on at least two bands. Also N8NN. Thanks for the points!

We ran 5A at a nearby park that is used as a Scout camp at times
(bunk beds to sleep in and a place to cook, Yay!).

Good site selection.

For 20m CW and phone,
the count was near 300 each although the voice didn't really pick up until
late this morning. 80 and 40 CW were good but voice was very modest. My OM
picked up one CW contact on 15m this morning and one on 6m yesterday.

20 was the poorest I've seen it in a long time. 15 and 10 were useless here in
EPA.

There
wasn't more than a couple dozen voice contacts on 15m, 10m, and VHF
combined.

It will be interesting to see how the totals work out contest-wide. There may
have been more CW than voice contacts across the board this year. Pretty good
for a mode that we are told is "obsolete", huh, Dee?

However, there's always a silver lining. Most of us got a pretty good
night's sleep since the bands were poor.

I hung in till about 3 AM and was back at it soon after sunrise. Even got in a
short run Sunday morning.

Today, we knocked down most of the
antennas and stations early and just kept our 20m ones running until time to
quit. That left only a minimal teardown to do this afternoon.

Teardown took me less than one hour:

- disconnect the rig and battery
- pull up ground rod
- pack rig, battery, papers, bug, etc. into their respective boxes
- fold up the special homebrew FD table
- tear down tent and roll it up
- untie three antenna ropes and drop antenna
- roll up and pack antenna
- load up car

Probably the quickest getaway yet!

361 days till the next one.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N2EY July 2nd 03 01:23 PM

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

Largely because it comes too late. If this had happened in 1992, as it
might well have if it had made the agenda and that particular
conference had not been postponed by three years, then I think the
effect would have been much bigger.

Maybe.

Or maybe S25.5 would have not been revised in 1992 if it was on the
agenda, conference wasn't postponed, etc. Remember that back in '92 the
maritime folks still had CW/Morse capability required on all ships over
a certain size.

I think the delay actually worked FOR the total elimination of code
testing.

Absolutely. It changed it from an odds on probability to a near certainty.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about the probability back in 1992.

But note this: Medical waivers for the 13 and 20 wpm code tests began in 1990.
Anyone who could get a doctor's note needed only to pass 5 wpm. And there
were/are lots of accomodations available.

Then in 1991 the code test for all amateur privs above 30 MHz went away.

Was there a sustained increase in amateur radio growth because of those
changes? No - just compare the growth in the '80s vs. the '90s. There was an
initial surge when the changes happened, that's all.

It's been over three years since the restructuring and US license totals have
increased by about 11,000. I thought we'd be over 700,000 by 2001.

If/when FCC dumps Element 1, will we see lots of growth? I sincerely doubt it.

Don't forget though that the maritime CW phasing out period began way back
in 1987, although it wasn't completed until 2000 (and some would say,
isn't complete now, despite no testing, distress watch, etc.).

You left out a key word: "mandatory". Morse/CW is still used in some parts of
the maritime services, it's just not mandatory anymore.

Something else happened in the interim, an explosion in
Internet use, which has changed the landscape.

Which would have happened regardless of S25.5.

To paraphrase and expand on a statement by W3RV, amateur radio will
continue to exist because of things it offers that cannot be done with
the internet, email, cell phones or inexpensive long distance
telecommunications. Toss in GMRS/FRS, too. Example: most of the folks
who got ham licenses for honeydew purposes in the '80s and '90s now
have cellphones for that job. There's no point in running routine phone
patches when you can direct dial for a few pennies a minute.

Amateurs, by definition, have to build their facilities with
discretionary money, time and other resources. And no hope of any
financial return. Which means they have to really want to do it or it's
just not gonna happen. Classic "bell the cat" situation.

And removal or retention of various tests or other requirements will not change
any of that. Cell phones, computers and 'net connection have become a practical
necessity in most people's lives today.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Sohl July 2nd 03 02:58 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dee, no doubt CW has its benefits. Contrary to a lot of the "pro-CW"

folks,
the "anti-CW" folks recognize its capabilities. (It's silly to even put

the
groups in such diverse categories.) However, that does not negate the
argument that, even though it may be quite beneficial, there are those

of us
who simply choose not to learn it well enough for practicability (eh?).

You don't have to use it, just learn it. I don't like the stupid
satellite questions on the test, but I had to learn them. (sorry
satellite folks)

Actually you didn't have to learn the satellite stuff to
get a passing grade on the test. I have no problem adding
a couple of questions to the question pool for any license that
asks about CW as a mode. That is, however, a distinctly
different situation than having an exclusive and separaelty
graded test element as Morse code does today.

If we threw out all the parts that some people did not
want to learn, there would soon be no test whatsoever.

Let's make the case:

None of the cases below now have a separate pass
fail test element so the "case" or analogy fails.

Satellite stations - this is a very mode-specific section

Strike

Band edges - most hams I know have a ARRL band page by their
rigs.

Strike

Theory - Many hams never plan to homebrew and some even have
other people wire their stations for them.

Strike

Packet questions? Mode specific and most hams aren't interested
in packet

Strike

Questions about SSTV Mode specific, and many hams never plan to
use SSTV

Strike

Baudot code questions? Give me a break!

Strike

Test equipment questions? In this day of appliance operations,
who needs those sort of questions?

Strike

I'll stop now, but for every type of question on the test, there is a
person who thinks it doesn't belong there.
- Mike KB3EIA -

I repeat:
None of the cases above now have a separate pass
fail test element so the "case" or analogy or argument fails.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

[email protected] July 2nd 03 04:09 PM

Mike Coslo writes:

If they are interested in the ARS, but do not learn Morse because
they don't like it, they are not as interested as someone who does
make the effort.

You're really describing the "hazing effect", AFAICS. I approve of CW
testing precisely because of this effect; after being forced to run
the gauntlet of CW practice and testing, many will decide they love
CW--but more importantly, their attitude to the ARS in general will be
affected by the fact of having spent effort (however minor) and jumped
through hoops (however simple) to get into it.

(For that purpose, almost any hoop will do, of course. The chief
advantage of CW over the theory test is that it's much harder to
"cram". I'd have been an extra 20 years ago without that one extra
"hump", as would several people I know. And yes, the fact that we
didn't, does indeed prove that we "didn't want to badly enough".)

There's a chicken-and-egg question, of course. How many people got
their license before the no-code tech, but weren't interested in CW at
all? How many became interested in CW after the fact as a result of
the "hazing effect"? How many support CW now because they feel the
need to haze the newbies as they were hazed, even though they don't
use the mode themselves? And if so, what's so terrible about that?

Regards,
Len.

Disclaimer: I'm interested in CW for its own sake. Or is it because
I'll fight the man that calls me a "nickel extra", let alone a
"no-code extra"? Now I'm motivated to get my ticket before they
eliminate CW entirely, which seems likely.

Mike Coslo July 2nd 03 04:47 PM

Dick Carroll; wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dan, I can understand your exasperation with people who choose not to learn
CW or decide that they don't like it. However, that is as far as the
understanding goes. It seems impossible to me that you can't understand
that people know what they do, or don't, like.

We all have to learn things that we may not like all that much. I had
to sit and learn classes in school that I found boring to distraction.

Betcha you decided that some of them that you thought you'd never like turned out
to be interesting after all, too. Most folks mature into understanding that as a
possibility, even a liklihood. SOME don't.

I remember, as a high school freshman, hating history class - until we really got
into it. I later minored in history.

Absolutely! We just don't know what will interest us as we go through life.

.....does that make people who automatically know that they don't like
Morse and will never use it "know it all's" (sorry, couldn't help it)
;^) my bad!

For instance, I happen to absolutely know I would not enjoy jumping out of
an airplane to parachute. I've never tried it, no. But I don't intend to
because "it's just not me."

But if you wanted to parachute out of planes, you would indeed have to
jump out of a plane. I know that sounds redundant or maybe redumbdant,
but it helps prove my point. You aren't that interested in that sort of
hobby, so you don't do it. It is strange that so many people have a
problem with my basic premise: that people who aren't willing to learn
the requirements are not all that interested in the ARS. In this case,
the requirement is the Morse test.

The best proof of that is in the millions of hams since the end of the 18th
century who DID learn the code without hesitation or even giving it a passing
thought as to how "unnecessary" it might be. Basics are never "unnecessary".

I just thought of it as another part of the testing process. That I had
my own difficulties with it, or whether or not it was applicable or not
(IMO it is) was and is irrelevant. It's there, it's part of the test.
Just do it. (all apologies to Nike)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 2nd 03 04:53 PM

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Kim W5TIT wrote:

[...]

I wasn't making a pass/fail argument Bill, My argument is that you take
a test based on what the test is. Another made the argument that they
will never use Morse, so why should they have to take the test. In that
context it is relevant.

[...]

Okay, I'll repeat:

I wasn't making a pass/fail argument Bill, My argument is that you take
a test based on what the test is. Another made the argument that they
will never use Morse, so why should they have to take the test. In that
context it is relevant.

Your's is a different argument. On that, there *is* a case to be made
as to Morse code being an anachronism, and that it is one element in
that a failure will cause you to fail the intire test - disregarding
the certificate that you get for passing the test.

But that's not the specific argument here - tho there isn't anything
prohibiting taking it in that direcion, 'ceptin' some likely confusion!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Dan/W4NTI July 2nd 03 06:14 PM

No Phil its not meaningless. The next 'attack' by the 'cw deprived' will be
to abolish CW on the air. Watch and see.

Dan/W4NTI

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
.net...
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:43:26 -0500, Kim W5TIT wrote:

However, that does not negate the argument that, even though it may
be quite beneficial, there are those of us who simply choose not to
learn it well enough for practicability (eh?).

The only issue is whether the FCC should require demonstration of
ability to copy code as a part of the examination procedure - and
we all agree (inwardly or outwardly) that that will be going away
real soon.

Any other argument is meaningless.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Mike Coslo July 2nd 03 06:36 PM

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dan, I can understand your exasperation with people who choose not to

learn

CW or decide that they don't like it. However, that is as far as the
understanding goes. It seems impossible to me that you can't understand
that people know what they do, or don't, like.

We all have to learn things that we may not like all that much. I had
to sit and learn classes in school that I found boring to distraction.

The issue is that morse has lost the need for exclusive
testing as a separate test element. Your analogy isn't equivalent
to boring school classes because the goal of those classes is and was
within the objectives of providing a complete education. FCC
licensing is not, however, the means to mandate a specific
skill capability for one mode.

But that's a different argument Bill. When this thing got rolling, I
was saying that anyone who does not get a General or above license at
the present time because they don't want to learn Morse does not want
the license badly enough to learn Morse code.

All quite a different argument.

For instance, I happen to absolutely know I would not enjoy jumping out

of

an airplane to parachute. I've never tried it, no. But I don't intend

because "it's just not me."

But if you wanted to parachute out of planes, you would indeed have to
jump out of a plane. I know that sounds redundant or maybe redumbdant,
but it helps prove my point. You aren't that interested in that sort of
hobby, so you don't do it. It is strange that so many people have a
problem with my basic premise: that people who aren't willing to learn
the requirements are not all that interested in the ARS. In this case,
the requirement is the Morse test.

Sorry, you are expanding a lack of interest in morse as
a defining element as to one's overall interest in
amateur radio. That is simply untrue. There are thousands of
hams that have ZERO interest in morse, many have even
passed the tests to advance, yet they are excellent hams.

Bottom line: Knowledge of morse is neither a positive or negative
indication of any individual's interest(s) in ham radio.

It is if a person refuses to learn it, or waits until the requirement
goes away.

So, why is it so difficult for you to understand that people can and do

make

the decision that the CW part of this hobby is something they are not
interested in? Are you saying that there is nothing you would not try

see if you liked it or not? You don't know yourself well enough?

If a person does not want to take the Morse test, that is their right
and privilege. They won't get the HF ticket however.

That is absolutely true...for now.

If they are interested in the ARS, but do not learn Morse because they
don't like it, they are not as interested as someone who does make the
effort.

I can say the same thing about learning or not learning
CPR. Are those that decide not to learn CW less
interested in safety than those that do? The answer is NO,
because there are many ways people can be far more safety
conscience than someone else who may know CPR.

No. If you want to give CPR, you had darn well better learn how, or
else the Red Cross isn't going to stand behind you when you crack those
ribs.

Indeed, just aboutanyone interested enough in learning CPR is going to
take the Red Cross classes, learn how, and be certified.

Those who aren't interested will probably not.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 2nd 03 06:43 PM

wrote:
Mike Coslo writes:

If they are interested in the ARS, but do not learn Morse because
they don't like it, they are not as interested as someone who does
make the effort.

You're really describing the "hazing effect", AFAICS. I approve of CW
testing precisely because of this effect; after being forced to run
the gauntlet of CW practice and testing, many will decide they love
CW--but more importantly, their attitude to the ARS in general will be
affected by the fact of having spent effort (however minor) and jumped
through hoops (however simple) to get into it.

No, it's not a hazing effect I'm describing, its plain old *interest*
in the ARS.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 2nd 03 06:44 PM

Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
Don't know about our local group but I heard something like around a 100
morse code contacts (all bands being used) and around 70-80 voice mode
contacts.

Myself and about 1/3 to 1/2 of our local club pretty much boycotted Field
Day this year..... (issues with local club)

Ya should have splintered off and done your own FD!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike Coslo July 2nd 03 06:47 PM

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

I could have stopped at 5 and got my 'Technician ticket' and stayed there
for decades until the FCC dropped the HF CW to 5. But I chose NOT TO DO
THAT. I completely skipped the Technician. I went from Novice straight to
General, then up. I did so because I knew if I would have gotten on two
meter AM as a Novice, I would have gotten the Tech then stayed a Tech. I
forced myself to learn CW. And one day I passed that 12 wpm block. And I
KEPT pushing myself to get better. Thats my story. Perhaps that will
explain why I think as I do.

Thank you Dan! You made just about perfect illustration of what I was
saying. You were interested enough, and definitely MORE interested thatn
those who chose not to do what you did.

- Mike KB3EIA -

[email protected] July 2nd 03 08:02 PM

Mike Coslo writes:

No, it's not a hazing effect I'm describing, its plain old
*interest* in the ARS.

I realize that--but of course plenty of people are interested in
communication but not CW, and signify it by choosing to get a no-code
Tech license.

Defining that as disinterest in "ARS" involves a question-begging
definition of ARS to be "amateur radio communication in various modes
INCLUDING CW."

Regards,
Len.

Phil Kane July 3rd 03 12:51 AM

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:14:44 -0500, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

No Phil its not meaningless. The next 'attack' by the 'cw deprived' will be
to abolish CW on the air. Watch and see.

If Morse wasn't prohibited in the maritime community after all the
ocean-going large ships stopped carrying Morse-qualified radio
officers and both the USCG and the public coast stations stopped
offering Morse service, what makes you think that it would be
abolished for the ham community when the requirement for Morse
testing is deleted?

The "CWDC" (CW Deprived Conspiracy) can try hard - it won't do any good.

Watch and see. ggg

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Amateur Extra Class the

N2EY July 3rd 03 01:35 AM

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

(N2EY wrote):
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about the probability back in
1992.

But note this: Medical waivers for the 13 and 20 wpm code tests began
in 1990. Anyone who could get a doctor's note needed only to pass 5
wpm. And there were/are lots of accomodations available.

Then in 1991 the code test for all amateur privs above 30 MHz went
away.

The ITU allowed no-code licensing above 420 MHz in 1947 and above 30 MHz
in 1967, I think.

I think if you check, it was 1000 MHz in 1947 and 144 MHz in 1967. But the
principle is the same.

The first no-code licences were actually issued in
Australia in 1952, and the UK followed in 1963.

Japan in 1952, as well.

Of course, this time I don't think it will be another 50 years before
element 1 will be dropped!

Not even 50 weeks, probably.

The reason is that the ARRL did a 180 degree
turn on code testing, which is what led to the no-code Tech. The FCC would
have allowed no-code above 220 in the 70s. They proposed it and the league
talked them out of it! The ARRL would have us beleive otherwise, but it's
all on record.

WHOA! Hold on a second there!

First off, The earliest "serious" proposal for a nocodetest license in the USA
was
in 1975. FCC wanted to create a "dual ladder" license system, with no less than
seven classes of license! This was only a few years after the Incentive
Licensing mess of the '60s. (If you think people are ticked off about the code
test issue, you shoulda been around back then.)

As part of this seven-class system, there would have been a "Communicator"
license with extremely limited VHF/UHF privs and no code test.

The response in the amateur community (not just ARRL leadership) back then was
a resounding NO! FCC scrapped the idea.

Then in 1983, FCC started making noises about a nocodetest license, and again
the response from the amateur community was a resounding NO!.

But in 1989-1990, FCC tried yet a third time and this time made it clear they
really wanted a nocodetest amateur license. At the same time, they were
proposing to reallocate 220 to other services. The response from the amateur
community was no longer a resounding NO - it was more like "well, if the
license has limited VHF-UHF privileges, maybe it would be OK". Specifically,
feedback to the question "would you support or oppose a limited-privileges
VHF/UHF only license with no code test?" was divided 50-50 yes-no.

So the ARRL BoD proposed a compromise: Create a new class of license that would
focus on 220, increasing its usage. (The ARRL proposal did not include 2 meter
privs for the new license). FCC saw through the plan and simply dropped the
code test from the Tech. They compromised by only reallocating 220-222, not the
whole band.

The recent turn-about in ARRL BoD policy was partly the result of a meeting of
Region 3 IARU societies back about 2000. At that meeting, ARRL found itself to
be the lone member supporting retention of S25.5. It became clear that
"resistance was useless" and so the policy was quietly changed at the next BoD
meeting from "support" to "no opinion".

None of this is secret or denied by the ARRL. It's all been in the pages of QST
and on the website.

Was there a sustained increase in amateur radio growth because of those
changes? No - just compare the growth in the '80s vs. the '90s. There
was an initial surge when the changes happened, that's all.

It made less difference than it would have in, say, the 70s, and no-code
HF now will make less difference now than it would have in 90s, much less
the 70s.

MAybe - we'll never know for sure.

I'm not saying our hobby is dying, but interest seems to be
declining.

I mean no disrespect, Alun, but in the 35+ years I've been a ham, I've heard
that and similar reports. None of them ever came true.

What HAS changed is that some of the reasons people used to become hams have
disappeared. If all someone wants is electronic communication, there are lots
of other options, most of which either didn't exist or were prohibitively
expensive only a few decades ago.

Example: In 1972 I knew a girl whose father wrote for one of the big local
papers as TV critic. He had a Model 19 teletype machine in the dining room,
complete with paper tape setup and telephone line interface. He'd write his
columns, then punch a tape and send it to the office. He only went into the
office once a week or so. Today all he'd need is a laptop and a phone line,
costing a tiny fraction of what the Model 19 cost.

It's been over three years since the restructuring and US license
totals have increased by about 11,000. I thought we'd be over 700,000
by 2001.

If/when FCC dumps Element 1, will we see lots of growth? I sincerely
doubt it.

I agree. There will just be a surge in interest for a while.

Which disproves the idea that the code test is some sort of "barrier" to a
license.

Alun Palmer July 3rd 03 02:45 AM

(N2EY) wrote in
:

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

(N2EY wrote):
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree about the probability back in
1992.

But note this: Medical waivers for the 13 and 20 wpm code tests began
in 1990. Anyone who could get a doctor's note needed only to pass 5
wpm. And there were/are lots of accomodations available.

Then in 1991 the code test for all amateur privs above 30 MHz went
away.

The ITU allowed no-code licensing above 420 MHz in 1947 and above 30
MHz in 1967, I think.

I think if you check, it was 1000 MHz in 1947 and 144 MHz in 1967. But
the principle is the same.

I think 1000 MHz was in 1937. I left that out because no actual mew no-
code licences were introduced between 1937 and 1947 (the small matter of
WW2 got in the way!).

All the no-code licences in various countries introduced after 1947 and
before 1967 were originally for above 420 MHz, as permitted in Atlantic
City in 1947.

I am going from memory, but I think that I have that correct.

The first no-code licences were actually issued in
Australia in 1952, and the UK followed in 1963.

Japan in 1952, as well.

Of course, this time I don't think it will be another 50 years before
element 1 will be dropped!

Not even 50 weeks, probably.

The reason is that the ARRL did a 180 degree
turn on code testing, which is what led to the no-code Tech. The FCC
would have allowed no-code above 220 in the 70s. They proposed it and
the league talked them out of it! The ARRL would have us beleive
otherwise, but it's all on record.

WHOA! Hold on a second there!

First off, The earliest "serious" proposal for a nocodetest license in
the USA was
in 1975.

Which is in the 70s, like I said, right?

FCC wanted to create a "dual ladder" license system, with no
less than seven classes of license! This was only a few years after the
Incentive Licensing mess of the '60s. (If you think people are ticked
off about the code test issue, you shoulda been around back then.)

As part of this seven-class system, there would have been a
"Communicator" license with extremely limited VHF/UHF privs and no code
test.

Above 220, just as I said. I can't recall the proposed power limit or any
other restrictions. That is 28 years ago, after all.

[...]

Perhaps they don't deny it now, but at the time they gave out the
impression that the no-code Tech was something they had wrested from the
FCC with great difficulty, which doesn't seem to square with the events of
the 70s and 80s atall.

[...]

73 de Alun, N3KIP

PS: I was licenced as G8VUK (no-code!) in 1980, got my current call in
1992, and passed element 1C in 1993. I have been around a little longer
than my call would indicate.

Kim W5TIT July 3rd 03 04:34 AM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dee, no doubt CW has its benefits. Contrary to a lot of the "pro-CW"

folks,
the "anti-CW" folks recognize its capabilities. (It's silly to even put

the
groups in such diverse categories.) However, that does not negate the
argument that, even though it may be quite beneficial, there are those

of us
who simply choose not to learn it well enough for practicability (eh?).

You don't have to use it, just learn it. I don't like the stupid
satellite questions on the test, but I had to learn them. (sorry
satellite folks) If we threw out all the parts that some people did not
want to learn, there would soon be no test whatsoever.

You are speaking of the written exam, and I think it should be made tougher
and harder to pass. But, I don't think there is a necessity to "test"
knowledge of a mode.

Let's make the case:

Satellite stations - this is a very mode-specific section

Strike

Well, OK, but replace it with lots more tought stuff.

Band edges - most hams I know have a ARRL band page by their
rigs.

Strike

DITTO

Theory - Many hams never plan to homebrew and some even have
other people wire their stations for them.

Strike

DITTO

Packet questions? Mode specific and most hams aren't interested
in packet

Strike

Questions about SSTV Mode specific, and many hams never plan to
use SSTV

Strike

Baudot code questions? Give me a break!

Strike

Test equipment questions? In this day of appliance operations,
who needs those sort of questions?

Strike

I'll stop now, but for every type of question on the test, there is a
person who thinks it doesn't belong there.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Ditto, ditto, etc. I think the written part of the exam should have
regulatory questions, and a lot of them. I also think the written part of
the exam should include more than just Part 97 of the R&R...what about the
1934 Act? Lots more on that.

The written exam should include a great deal of questions on the safety
issues related the operating of amateur equipment and antennas, etc.

Much tougher written and wish there was a way not to have it published.
But, that's me. YMMV

Kim W5TIT

Alun Palmer July 3rd 03 03:15 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in
:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dee, no doubt CW has its benefits. Contrary to a lot of the
"pro-CW" folks, the "anti-CW" folks recognize its capabilities.
(It's silly to even put the groups in such diverse categories.)
However, that does not negate the argument that, even though it may
be quite beneficial, there are those of us who simply choose not to
learn it well enough for practicability (eh?).

You don't have to use it, just learn it. I don't like the stupid
satellite questions on the test, but I had to learn them. (sorry
satellite folks) If we threw out all the parts that some people did
not want to learn, there would soon be no test whatsoever.

I'd be happy to have as many _questions_ on the _written_exams_ about
Morse as about each other mode. A ham should _know_about_ all the modes.
What offends a lot of us is a _practical_ test in only _one_ mode. To
take your example, if you had to track a satellite pass and work someone
via satellite to get a licence, and that was the only practical test, that
wouldn't be right either, as it would be an unbalanced requirement
relative to all the other things you can do in the hobby. If you want to
have a practical test, how about soldering? At least it's not mode-
specific.

Mike Coslo July 3rd 03 03:25 PM

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dan, I can understand your exasperation with people who choose not to

learn

CW or decide that they don't like it. However, that is as far as the
understanding goes. It seems impossible to me that you can't understand
that people know what they do, or don't, like.

We all have to learn things that we may not like all that much. I had
to sit and learn classes in school that I found boring to distraction.

The issue is that morse has lost the need for exclusive
testing as a separate test element. Your analogy isn't equivalent
to boring school classes because the goal of those classes is and was
within the objectives of providing a complete education.

I might beg to differ. I took many classes that were just about
irrelevant to just about anything. They were mandated to be taken
though. And that to me sounds just about like the arguments aginst Morse
code testing.

[...]

No I am not! I'm saying that if you don't learn the prescribed items,
you are not all that interested.

Let's take the hot button Morse code away from the topic for a second,
and use the example posted by some other person here recently. In his
post, he mentioned that some Service buddies who already know Morse code
would take the ARS tests as a way of getting off base and for a change
of pace for a day. They did well on the Morse part of the test, but with
one apparent exception, failed the written exam.

Learning the written portions of the exam was not all that important to
them. After all, they were just doing this for a lark.

They were not really all that interested in getting thier ticket.

People who took the time to study and learn for the *written* portion
of the test had more interest in being a ham than those who did notwant
to take the time to study for the written portion of the test.

It is exactly the same thing. I've been careful to point out that my
argument is completely separate from whether Morse should be tested at all.

Bottom line: Knowledge of morse is neither a positive or negative
indication of any individual's interest(s) in ham radio.

It is if you have to pass a test for it before access.

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY July 3rd 03 05:44 PM

"Kim" wrote in message ...
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim wrote:

Dan, I can understand your exasperation with people who choose not to
learn
CW or decide that they don't like it. However, that is as far as the
understanding goes. It seems impossible to me that you can't understand
that people know what they do, or don't, like.

Kim,

Have you *ever* had the experience of "having to" try something you
thought you wouldn't like, and finding out you really enjoyed it?

Do you know anyone who has had such an experience?

We all have to learn things that we may not like all that much. I had
to sit and learn classes in school that I found boring to distraction.

I think there's a difference between what we "must" learn in school for a
real degree vs. what we must know to operate as a licensed amateur. I don't
need an amateur license to "get by" in life. I do need my High School
Diploma, or better, to get by.

That reasoning works to support Mike's argument. If a high school
diploma is a practical necessity, why should it require ANY
non-essentials? Those nonessentials could be considered arbitrary,
capricious, irrelevant, discriminatory, hazing, etc. OTOH, since a ham
license is not a necessity, it can require all sorts of stuff that
some would say is nonessential.

For instance, I happen to absolutely know I would not enjoy jumping out
of
an airplane to parachute. I've never tried it, no. But I don't intend
because "it's just not me."

But if you wanted to parachute out of planes, you would indeed have to
jump out of a plane. I know that sounds redundant or maybe redumbdant,
but it helps prove my point. You aren't that interested in that sort of
hobby, so you don't do it. It is strange that so many people have a
problem with my basic premise: that people who aren't willing to learn
the requirements are not all that interested in the ARS. In this case,
the requirement is the Morse test.

Not really a good analogy, because in order to parachute you have to
jump out of, or off of, something.

I don't have a problem with the CW requirement for an amateur ticket on its
face. However, if its primary purpose is that of "filtering" people from
the hobby, as many attitudes seem to demonstrate, then I am all about
getting the requirement outta here.

I think what really bothers some folks about the code test is the fact
that it acts as a "Great Equalizer". Very few prospective hams already
know the code, which means that, when starting out to get a license,
the Ph.D. in EE is placed on the same playing field as the elementary
school kid. It can't be learned (by most people) by reading a book or
watching a video, or picked up in bits and pieces here and there.
Guessing doesn't help you pass it.

Also, once you learn it, the code is extremely useful in amateur
radio. Particularly HF/MF amateur radio.

I do not believe that a knowledge of CW
makes one any better a ham than any other.

I think it does. Maybe not the test itself alone, but the USE of the
mode. It's a useful skill for hams to have. That doesn't mean it MUST
be tested, however.

I also don't believe, as you
mention later in this post, that one's interest level is important to this
hobby.

So, why is it so difficult for you to understand that people can and do
make
the decision that the CW part of this hobby is something they are not
interested in? Are you saying that there is nothing you would not try
see if you liked it or not? You don't know yourself well enough?

If a person does not want to take the Morse test, that is their right
and privilege. They won't get the HF ticket however.

At least not right now, eh?

You got a date in The Pool yet? (see the thread by that name)

If they are interested in the ARS, but do not learn Morse because they
don't like it, they are not as interested as someone who does make the
effort.

But, who dictates that "interest" is a necessity for this hobby/avocation?

The FCC, among others. If someone is interested in the ARS, but does
not bother to get a license because they don't like taking (written)
tests or studying for same, then they are not as interested as someone
who does make the effort.

I don't care about someone's interest level. There are, what Jim/N2EY(?),
650,000+ amateurs in this country alone.

686,802 as of yesterday. ;-)

But how many of them are active?

Of them, there are numbers of
every kind of thinking and interest level, right? I don't care about
someone's "interest." I care that once they are a licensed amateur they
conduct themselves within the parameters of the FCC's R&R.

OK, fine - now how do we assure that? Look at the enforcement actions
by FCC - hams of all license classes being cited for doing dumb
things. Each and every one of them had to pass a written test - in
most cases, several written tests. Yet they break the rules, and in
most cases the violations are not technical things like a misadjusted
or broken rig. Instead, most of the violations I read about today are
"operating" violations - jamming, cussing, failure to ID, operation
outside of one's license privileges, etc. Really basic stuff that was
covered at the Novice level.

Yet almost all of that stuff happens using voice modes, rather than CW
or data modes. There must be reasons for the enormous disparity in
behavior.

That is all that is required.

So how do we get it?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Phil Kane July 3rd 03 08:48 PM

On 03 Jul 2003 12:23:14 GMT, N2EY wrote:

4) Some of us don't quickly forget statements like:

"no setasides for legacy modes!"
and
"those in the minority should learn to take 'no' for an answer and
get on with life"

(those are just a small sample)

More reason not to ban Morse. Illigitimati non carburundum.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Amateur Extra Class the
old-fashioned way.

If the code test isn't meaningful, why sign your post that way?

It was meaningful "in those days". The meaning was "if you want
the privileges, you gotta' pass the test."

Do not confuse my attitude about the test with the use/allowance of
the mode.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Bill Sohl July 3rd 03 09:31 PM

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Phil

Kane"
writes:

On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 12:14:44 -0500, Dan/W4NTI wrote:

No Phil its not meaningless. The next 'attack' by the 'cw deprived'

will be
to abolish CW on the air. Watch and see.

If Morse wasn't prohibited in the maritime community after all the
ocean-going large ships stopped carrying Morse-qualified radio
officers and both the USCG and the public coast stations stopped
offering Morse service, what makes you think that it would be
abolished for the ham community when the requirement for Morse
testing is deleted?

Several things:

1) The number of ships is far less than the number of hams, and they're

much
more spread out.

2) For the most part, the systems that replaced Morse in the maritime

services
don't use the same frequencies as Morse did.

3) The driving force behind the maritime service changes is/was saving $$.

Ham
radio is different.

4) Some of us don't quickly forget statements like:

"no setasides for legacy modes!"

and

"those in the minority should learn to take 'no' for an answer and get on

with
life"

(those are just a small sample)

The "CWDC" (CW Deprived Conspiracy) can try hard - it won't do any

good.

Rather than an outright ban, we may see a form of "crowding out". There

will be
pressure to widen the 'phone/image bands still more.

If proponents of CW make full usage of the bands, then there
won't be a valid argument to widen phone segments. Remember
too that the non-phone segments also support data.

It is interesting to note how many folks really think that the

non-phone/image
parts of the HF bands are "CW-only" and are completely ignorant of the

fact
that data modes are authorized on all of them.

Exactly why I wrote the comment above. There are only two CW only
segments and all hams have access to them now... they are 50.0-50.1
and 144.0 to 144.1.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Dee D. Flint July 3rd 03 09:44 PM

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

Dan, I can understand your exasperation with people who choose not to

learn
CW or decide that they don't like it. However, that is as far as the
understanding goes. It seems impossible to me that you can't

understand
that people know what they do, or don't, like.

We all have to learn things that we may not like all that much. I had
to sit and learn classes in school that I found boring to distraction.

I think there's a difference between what we "must" learn in school for a
real degree vs. what we must know to operate as a licensed amateur. I

don't
need an amateur license to "get by" in life. I do need my High School
Diploma, or better, to get by.

Yes you need the high school diploma to get by in life but you don't "need"
a lot of the subjects that you are required to learn. How often do you use
history in daily life unless you are a teacher or politician? Who needs to
have knowledge of Shakespeare and other classic literature to get by in
daily life? Yet to get that high school diploma (which you need), you have
to take subjects that are "unneeded". However, they are considered part of
a well rounded basic education so you have to take them and pass them to get
that diploma.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint July 3rd 03 09:52 PM

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message
"Kim W5TIT" wrote in
:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:

[...]

Actually I agree with having a soldering test. I consider it a basic skill
that all hams should have at least to the extent of soldering a PL259
connector to coax and demonstrating that they have achieved continuity and
no shorts.

The difference between CW and satellite is that CW is commonly used (about
50% of hams use CW some to all of the time) and it is cheap to use.
Satellite is uncommon and expensive. In addition, it takes actually having
a basic, minimal skill level at CW to judge whether one wishes to pursue it
to a useful level thus the prospective ham should be required to learn a
basic minimum.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Kim W5TIT July 4th 03 02:45 AM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

I could have stopped at 5 and got my 'Technician ticket' and stayed

there
for decades until the FCC dropped the HF CW to 5. But I chose NOT TO DO
THAT. I completely skipped the Technician. I went from Novice straight

General, then up. I did so because I knew if I would have gotten on two
meter AM as a Novice, I would have gotten the Tech then stayed a Tech.

forced myself to learn CW. And one day I passed that 12 wpm block. And

KEPT pushing myself to get better. Thats my story. Perhaps that will
explain why I think as I do.

Thank you Dan! You made just about perfect illustration of what I was
saying. You were interested enough, and definitely MORE interested thatn
those who chose not to do what you did.

- Mike KB3EIA -

You really think that just because someone learns CW, they have "more"
interest in ham radio? You really do, Mike?

Oh well...

Kim W5TIT

Bill Sohl July 4th 03 03:29 AM

As an international treaty requirement Morse knowledge
has died as of 7/5/03:

The IARU web site has release it final report on WRC 2003.

You can read the full report at: http://www.iaru.org/rel030703.html

The final version of S25.5 & S25.6 a

25.5 §3 1) Administrations shall determine whether or not a person
seeking a licence to operate an amateur station shall demonstrate
the ability to send and receive texts in Morse code signals.

25.6 2) Administrations shall verify the operational and technical
qualifications of any person wishing to operate an amateur station.
Guidance for standards of competence may be found in the
most recent version of Recommendation ITU-RM.1544.

They say the effective date is July 5, 2003.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Kim W5TIT July 4th 03 03:31 AM

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Kim" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim wrote:

Dan, I can understand your exasperation with people who choose not

learn
CW or decide that they don't like it. However, that is as far as

the
understanding goes. It seems impossible to me that you can't

understand
that people know what they do, or don't, like.

Kim,

Have you *ever* had the experience of "having to" try something you
thought you wouldn't like, and finding out you really enjoyed it?

I'll truly have to get back to you on that! Just sitting here thinking
about it, I can come up with more examples of things that I knew I would not
like that have come true:

1. Moving to Texas. Yes, I have "become accustomed" to being down here.
But I'd much rather really be right back up in my hometown with the
Battenkill River, Goose Egg Mountain, the Vermont border in eye's sight,
etc.

2. Working in downtown Dallas. Again yes, I have "become accustomed" to it,
but I knew I would not like it and I really don't. It's just that the
darned money is so good, 'spose I am willing to sacrifice a little to have
the money...

3. Having kids. Seriously. All the time I was growing up and as a
teen-ager, I knew I would not like having kids. Well, I tried a couple out.
I love both of them dearly and my granddaughter is divine--but I'd never go
through having kids again if I could go back and knew then what I know now

Do you know anyone who has had such an experience?

I'd have to check. I don't know.

We all have to learn things that we may not like all that much. I had
to sit and learn classes in school that I found boring to distraction.

I think there's a difference between what we "must" learn in school for

real degree vs. what we must know to operate as a licensed amateur. I

don't
need an amateur license to "get by" in life. I do need my High School
Diploma, or better, to get by.

That reasoning works to support Mike's argument. If a high school
diploma is a practical necessity, why should it require ANY
non-essentials?

Oh, well. I don't think it should. I think things such as Sports and Band,
etc, (the so-called extra-curicular activities) should be in there--as I
think they help form skills that will be needed in the world. But, in the
regular K-12 school years, I think things such as elective courses really
need to be "rethunk." I took Greek Mythology, Philosophy, Psychology, etc.,
in my years of High School, but I really don't think they should have been
available and don't think they should be today: EXCEPT, perhaps, in magnet
schools (down here, the term magnet school, defines schooling set aside for
"gifted" children).

Those nonessentials could be considered arbitrary,
capricious, irrelevant, discriminatory, hazing, etc.

Exactly, and I think they are to some extent, at least on a regular campus.
Those of who were involved in classes such as Latin and, well, the
"renaissance" courses(?) were considered quite the nerds--and we considered
anyone outside our circle as squares. There was nothing to teach us that
people have different interests and that all are OK. Well, at least nothing
taught more strongly than teen-age hormones raged! LOL

OTOH, since a ham
license is not a necessity, it can require all sorts of stuff that
some would say is nonessential.

And, does. And, again, I think the non-essential stuff should be removed.
I'd rather see a majority of hams define what is non-essential, though; and
I'd like to see those decisions being made without ego or prejudice.

[...]

Many of us do have such a problem with being on an "even playing field,"
don't we? Pity.

Also, once you learn it, the code is extremely useful in amateur
radio. Particularly HF/MF amateur radio.

I do not believe that a knowledge of CW
makes one any better a ham than any other.

I think it does. Maybe not the test itself alone, but the USE of the
mode. It's a useful skill for hams to have. That doesn't mean it MUST
be tested, however.

Ah, but would there be alternatives you would consider as a good
replacement, since CW--after all--is such an issue among hams?

I also don't believe, as you
mention later in this post, that one's interest level is important to

this
hobby.

So, why is it so difficult for you to understand that people can and

do
make
the decision that the CW part of this hobby is something they are

not
interested in? Are you saying that there is nothing you would not

try
see if you liked it or not? You don't know yourself well enough?

If a person does not want to take the Morse test, that is their right
and privilege. They won't get the HF ticket however.

At least not right now, eh?

You got a date in The Pool yet? (see the thread by that name)

No, haven't looked at that one. I'll check it out.

If they are interested in the ARS, but do not learn Morse because they
don't like it, they are not as interested as someone who does make the
effort.

But, who dictates that "interest" is a necessity for this

hobby/avocation?

The FCC, among others. If someone is interested in the ARS, but does
not bother to get a license because they don't like taking (written)
tests or studying for same, then they are not as interested as someone
who does make the effort.

To the extent that meeting requirements could be considered as indicating
interest, I suppose you have a point. I was thinking more in terms of, if
the requirements were reduced, would it mean there were "less interested"
hams? Heck, for me, anyone who persists through the brickabrack that
happens in this hobby is surely demonstrating an increble interest!! I have
practically given up on ham radio. Between my husband and I, there is not
one radio (of about 25) that is connected right now. It's just too damned
much of a political hotbed for anyone who truly wants to be involved in ham
radio (at least around here).

I don't care about someone's interest level. There are, what

Jim/N2EY(?),
650,000+ amateurs in this country alone.

686,802 as of yesterday. ;-)

But how many of them are active?

Heh heh. Two here aren't.

[...]

Well, adhering to the FCC R&R is not a choice. At least it isn't if one
gets caught. And, if more hams were willing to "snitch" on each other,
there'd be a better chance of catching those who don't abide by regulation.

Kim W5TIT

Phil Kane July 4th 03 11:55 PM

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:53:58 -0400, Scott Unit 69 wrote:

How about essay or fill-in-the-blank
type questions instead of multiple-guess type questions?

This presumes that the examiners are at the professional level and
can properly grade an essay-type question.

No sweat for me and I'm sure for several others here. I have a PE in
several states and have taught electronics at the University level.
What about all the other VEs out there?

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

Mike Coslo July 5th 03 12:14 AM

Kim W5TIT wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Bill Sohl wrote:

Bottom line: Knowledge of morse is neither a positive or negative
indication of any individual's interest(s) in ham radio.

It is if a person refuses to learn it, or waits until the requirement
goes away.

Mike, I think you'll be quite disappointed if you "trust" in someone's
interest level based on their relationship (or lack of) with CW.

Not the CW, Kim. It's any part of the testing regimen that a person
"won't" take. If a person refuses to take the Extra test, they aren't
that interested in being an Extra.

Let's even take your own case. You're a Tech Plus, IIRC. Are you
interested in taking the General test? If yes, you'll be studying for
it. If not, then you aren't that interested in becoming a General.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Bert Craig July 5th 03 01:27 AM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
some
folk are just not going to hear what I am saying no matter how many
times I say it..

Bingo!

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

Mike Coslo July 5th 03 01:34 AM

Kim W5TIT wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

[...]

As long as it is one of the requirements, most certainly it is! I don't
care if a person ever uses Morse code aftward, but as long as it is a
test requirement.....

Take my case. I'm a pretty smart guy, despite a person here who thinks
I'm a hockey puck. But picking up Morse code was really difficult for
me. But I really wanted that ticket, so I learned it. The Written parts
were a breeze.

Now let's say I figured I'd just wait till the Morse requirement went
away before I went to the trouble of testing. That would have meant that
I was interested, but not interested enough to study for and take the
test - I was just as interested in waiting.

- Mike KB3EIA -

N2EY July 5th 03 03:23 AM

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 11:53:58 -0400, Scott Unit 69 wrote:

How about essay or fill-in-the-blank
type questions instead of multiple-guess type questions?

This presumes that the examiners are at the professional level and
can properly grade an essay-type question.

No sweat for me and I'm sure for several others here. I have a PE in
several states and have taught electronics at the University level.
What about all the other VEs out there?

I have BSEE and MSEE from University of Pa. and Drexel, respectively. Also can
do 40 wpm Morse and build my own ham rigs. (It ain't braggin' if ya really done
it...)

The big problem with essay and fill-in-the-blank questions is that the answers
are not 100% objective. There's always a measure of judgement involved.

For example, take a simple question like "what is the length of a half-wave
dipole cut for 7.1 MHz?" With multiple choice, the QPC says that one answer
(say, 66 feet) is the correct one and all others are incorrect.

But with essays and fill-in-the-blank, what tolerance do we put on the correct
answer? Is 67 feet acceptable? 68 feet? 66 feet 3 inches? The person being
tested could write a long dissertation on tapering elements, the effect of
ground, wire/tubing sizes, etc., and come up with a whole raneg of
arguably-correct answers.

And that's just a simple question. When you start getting into explanations and
diagrams, it gets really hairy.

From what I have researched, FCC went to multiple-choice questions for all ham
exams no later than 1961. At least 42 years ago, probably more. Try convincing
them that they've been wrong all this time.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Bill Sohl July 5th 03 01:14 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Bill Sohl wrote:

Bottom line: Knowledge of morse is neither a positive or negative
indication of any individual's interest(s) in ham radio.

It is if a person refuses to learn it, or waits until the requirement
goes away.

Balogny... What this states is that all non-coded techs
have insufficiient interest in "ham radio." Note the above
does not specify any license level whereas below the
poster changes to a specific referral to Extra. That is NOT
how the original post started out.

Mike, I think you'll be quite disappointed if you "trust" in someone's
interest level based on their relationship (or lack of) with CW.

Not the CW, Kim. It's any part of the testing regimen that a person
"won't" take. If a person refuses to take the Extra test, they aren't
that interested in being an Extra.

So what. They may have less interest in Extra, but
that does not equate to a broader lack of interest
in "ham radio" (rather than just Extra) as the original post
was first articulated.

Let's even take your own case. You're a Tech Plus, IIRC. Are you
interested in taking the General test? If yes, you'll be studying for
it. If not, then you aren't that interested in becoming a General.
- Mike KB3EIA -

Fair enough on the specific application to General. BUT, would
you state that Kim doesn't have a positive interest in "ham radio"
just because she doesn't upgrade?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Kim W5TIT July 5th 03 04:29 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Dick Carroll;" wrote in message

some snippage

that is always pooh-poohed by the code/code test bashers. They just

won't
recognize it for what it is.
Or maybe they *can't*.

So a nocode tech has no interest in amateur radio because s/he
didn't take a morse test then? Bunk.

Same old, same old.

Gee Bill, that ain't been said! Lets see if I can help out here....

I was a NoCode Tech once. I was interested, and took the test necessary
to get that license.

Then I was interested in getting my General ticket. Here, I needed to
learn Morse code in addition to another written exam. But I was
interested, and learned and passed the tests (flunked the MOrse first
time around) I got the General ticket.

Then I was interested in getting the extra frequency bandwidth and
whatever else that the Extra ticket gives. So I studied for and passed
the test.

In each case, I was "interested" in something. I could have stopped
anywhere along the line, and while exercising my right to not learn
something, the only effect would have been to not get the license.

Would you agree that a person who takes the Extra test is more
interested in getting the Extra ticket than a person possessing a
General license who does not want to because they won't get all that
much in the way of privileges?

What I find strange is that some who are distinctly anti-code test are
having trouble with what I am saying here.

It is either that I am having trouble expressing myself, or that some
folk are just not going to hear what I am saying no matter how many
times I say it..

Okay one more time. Two young ladies are thinking about getting their
drivers licenses. Ida Know wants to get a drivers license, but she is
terrified of three point turns, to the point that she says "Forget it,
I'll just walk or take the bus".

Her friend, Ella Fyno, is also concerned about the three point turn.
But she decides that even if she hardly ever uses the three point turn,
that she'll buckle down and learn how. She works on the three point
turn, eventually passes her license test, and now is happily driving.

WHO was MORE interested in getting that drivers license?

It's not a comparison of the relationship of driving a car to an
Amateur license, or silly names I come up with. It is a question of
different people with different levels of interest in something.

- Mike KB3EIA -

BUT, Mike, it sounded (and still does just a little bit) that you weren't
comparing license level interest to license level interest. It sounded
more, to me, like you were comparing Novice in ham radio is less interested
that General in ham radio.

I would say to you, if you in any way think like that, that I know many
higher class licensed individuals who have a long way to catch up in the
drive and ambition I had (had=past tense) to promote amateur radio. I was
*very* interested in ham radio--probably more than any other ham I
personally know.

The drive to "get more" doesn't equal a level of interest in amateur radio.
In my opinion. Your drive to become an Extra sounds more like an ambition
to thumb your nose at those who did not.

Kim W5TIT

Kim W5TIT July 5th 03 04:39 PM

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Kim W5TIT wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Bill Sohl wrote:

Bottom line: Knowledge of morse is neither a positive or negative
indication of any individual's interest(s) in ham radio.

It is if a person refuses to learn it, or waits until the requirement
goes away.

Mike, I think you'll be quite disappointed if you "trust" in someone's
interest level based on their relationship (or lack of) with CW.

Not the CW, Kim. It's any part of the testing regimen that a person
"won't" take. If a person refuses to take the Extra test, they aren't
that interested in being an Extra.

Let's even take your own case. You're a Tech Plus, IIRC. Are you
interested in taking the General test? If yes, you'll be studying for
it. If not, then you aren't that interested in becoming a General.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, you keep bouncing back and forth between whehter your issue is that
someone who doesn't take a General exam is less interested in being a
General, or someone who doesn't take a General exam is less interested in
*ham radio*.

Thus, I give up even trying to understand your issue.

Kim W5TIT