RadioBanter

-   -   Ham Radio Rescue in California Press (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26683-ham-radio-rescue-california-press.html)

Steve Robeson, K4CAP July 26th 03 07:45 AM

Ham Radio Rescue in California Press

Nothing like a bit of truth to unravel rants:

FROM THE ARRL WEBSITE:

Ham radio key in California hiker's rescue (Jul 24, 2003) -- The San
Diego Union Tribune's SignOnSanDiego.com Web news service reports that
a hiker in the El Capitan open space preserve suffering apparent heat
exhaustion was rescued July 19 after his hiking companion used ham
radio to relay a message to authorities. ARRL member Rod Dinkins,
AC6V, of Oceanside picked up the distress call from Tim Slaby, KG6QPL,
of Spring Valley and alerted the San Diego County Sheriff's
Department's Santee station.

(my emphasis added:) Slaby resorted to his handheld transceiver after
discovering that his cellphone wouldn't work in the wilderness.

(RESUME) KG6QPL was able to raise the Palomar Amateur Radio Club
repeater some 40 miles away, however. Slaby, who also carried a GPS
unit, was able to provide the pair's precise location. A sheriff's
helicopter crew rescued the exhausted hiker--identified as Thomas
Sayer--and airlifted him to an ambulance, which transported him to a
hospital, authorities said. He was treated for dehydration and
released about four hours. "For hikers in need of help, Amateur Radio
worked where their cell phone didn't," said ARRL Vice President (and
former Southwestern Division Director) Fried Heyn, WA6WZO.

UNQUOTE

Nice job, Rod and Tim!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Kim W5TIT July 26th 03 04:42 PM

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job. That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to

David Lafferty July 26th 03 06:06 PM

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job. That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

And what EXACTLY does that have to do with the story? The focus of the
story was ham radio used in a rescue. It's good PR for ham radio, no matter
if the transmission was phone, cw, psk-31, sstv, rtty, etc, etc, etc.

David K5DEL

Kim W5TIT July 26th 03 06:27 PM

"David Lafferty" wrote in message

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job.

That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

And what EXACTLY does that have to do with the story? The focus of the
story was ham radio used in a rescue. It's good PR for ham radio, no

matter
if the transmission was phone, cw, psk-31, sstv, rtty, etc, etc, etc.

David K5DEL

And, you're exactly right. It is good PR for ham radio. We will all do
what we will the basis of the story. Are you dictating how I should act?

Kim W5TIT

---

David Lafferty July 26th 03 09:19 PM

And, you're exactly right. It is good PR for ham radio. We will all do
what we will the basis of the story. Are you dictating how I should act?

Kim W5TIT

While tempting, I do support everyone's right to express their thoughts.
Even when they have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. I see
you still did not answer my question as to what mode was used had to do with
the events of the rescue. It appears to be an attempt to start another CW VS
Anti-CW discussion. Gee, we sure don't have enough of those.

At the store this morning, I saw prices for oranges were cheaper than the
apples. This statement has about as much to do with the story as your's
did.

David
K5DEL

Dan/W4NTI July 26th 03 11:32 PM

[...]

When she applied for her vanity call she actually requested;

W5TWIT. She was told it was to long...

Dan/W4NTI

David Lafferty July 27th 03 12:30 AM

When she applied for her vanity call she actually requested;

W5TWIT. She was told it was to long...

Dan/W4NTI

Best smile I've had today Dan...

WA8ULX July 27th 03 12:30 AM

Her 2nd choice wa W5****

Kim W5TIT July 27th 03 02:41 AM

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
When she applied for her vanity call she actually requested;

W5TWIT. She was told it was to long...

Dan/W4NTI

Her 2nd choice wa W5****

I guess you folks don't know the format of callsigns. One cannot get a 1X4.
You sure do behave like the very "CBer" type folks that you vilify!

Kim W5TIT

---

Kim W5TIT July 27th 03 02:44 AM

[...]

David, you have your way of interpreting and commenting on stories, and I
will too.

Kim W5TIT

---

WA8ULX July 27th 03 03:25 AM

I guess you folks don't know the format of callsigns. One cannot get a 1X4.
You sure do behave like the very "CBer" type folks that you vilify!

Kim W5TIT

Well isnt that what Ham radio is anymore?

WA8ULX July 27th 03 04:21 AM

shouldn't that be a clue
to you as to who it is that may be ruining ham radio?

Kim W5TIT

Well TIT i figure you CBplussers have done a pretty good job so far, so I might
as well help you the finish the process.

David Lafferty July 27th 03 04:21 AM

You just couldn't some up with something both valid and cutsey, could you.

Kim W5TIT

I never got into the previous discussions on your callsign, but some,
including me, find it in poor taste instead of "valid and cutsey".
David K5DEL

Larry Roll K3LT July 27th 03 04:46 AM

In article , "David Lafferty"
writes:

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job. That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

And what EXACTLY does that have to do with the story? The focus of the
story was ham radio used in a rescue. It's good PR for ham radio, no matter
if the transmission was phone, cw, psk-31, sstv, rtty, etc, etc, etc.

David K5DEL

David:

Save your fingertips on this one. Kim can always be counted on to make
inane, specious arguments against CW and "CW zealots" anytime a story
like this comes out. If the story had been about how the hikers setup a
backpack portable HF/QRP station and called for help using CW, she would
insist that it didn't prove a damn thing. She can't be bothered to learn a
useful communications skill like the Morse code, and she needs to grasp at
any straw she can in order to prove her point.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry Roll K3LT July 27th 03 04:46 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job. That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

Of course, the lost hikers were lucky that A. They were in California, which
is thoroughly blanketed with repeaters on the tops of high mountains, and
B. They had an HT and a GPS receiver. Repeat the scenario in the middle
of Kansas and their mileage will start to vary! Then they just might wish they

had a backpack HF setup, complete with a CW key! Still, I personally think
that this *is* a very impressive demonstration of amateur radio's emergency
response capability. Unfortunately for you and the rest of the NCTA, the
only place where it proves anything negative about CW or the PCTA's is
in your own mind!

73 de Larry, K3LT

Kim W5TIT July 27th 03 04:56 PM

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "David Lafferty"
writes:

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job.

That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

And what EXACTLY does that have to do with the story? The focus of the
story was ham radio used in a rescue. It's good PR for ham radio, no

matter
if the transmission was phone, cw, psk-31, sstv, rtty, etc, etc, etc.

David K5DEL

David:

Save your fingertips on this one. Kim can always be counted on to make
inane, specious arguments against CW and "CW zealots" anytime a story
like this comes out.

When have I ever made an argument against CW, Larry? Put up or shut up, in
your words.

If the story had been about how the hikers setup a
backpack portable HF/QRP station and called for help using CW, she would
insist that it didn't prove a damn thing.

You are so foamed at the mouth with your insensibility that you can't see
the forest for the trees, Larry. I have no argument whatsoever against the
use of CW. I do NOT believe, as you, that CW is the cure all that you think
it is. There are notable CW enthusiasts that share this also, Larry. What
would you say of them? *IF* this story had been about how the hikers had
set up a backpack portable HF/QRP station and called for help using CW, AND
*if* they'd gotten it, I would have said two things: 1) that they were lucky
to have someone on "the other end" that understood CW, and 2) that they
could have traveled a lot lighter if they'd just carried an HT. To tell you
the truth, I'm impressed that ANY radio worked to contact someone and, just
as you say, I'm sure it is because of the density of repeaters in their
area. You're right. Kansas would have been a whole different situation.

She can't be bothered to learn a
useful communications skill like the Morse code, and she needs to grasp at
any straw she can in order to prove her point.

73 de Larry, K3LT

I did learn a useful communications skill, Larry. I learned it well enough
to pass the requirements set forth by the United States Government. Now, if
you have a problem with your government, you need to let them know. And,
you cannot dictate your standards to other people. You do live in the
United States.

My point about CW is what, Larry? Why don't you answer that question.
Hell, Dick hasn't even answered my question about what it would take for him
to have a disaster setup for CW, what all would he need. Hell, for that
matter, you won't even answer my questions, Larry. You guys spew your hate
and contempt for other people out of the mouths that God gave you. And
that's all it ends up being with you: hate. You are disgusting.

Answer the damn question, Larry. What do *YOU* think my point about CW is?

Kim W5TIT

---

Kim W5TIT July 27th 03 04:58 PM

"David Lafferty" wrote in message

David, you have your way of interpreting and commenting on stories, and

will too.

Kim W5TIT

Reminds me of a retired boss I used to have. Real nice guy, but could not
always track with the discussion at hand. I remember one day during an
important meeting when the "big" boss was making a very important point.
Right in the middle of the big boss making what he believed to be the most
important point of the meeting, the guy who had trouble tracking pointed

out
the window and stated "Why there goes a red tail hawk!"

The big boss just shook his head. I guess I'll follow his lead in the
future...
David
K5DEL

Thank you. That way you won't waste so much of your time.

Kim W5TIT

---

Len Over 21 July 27th 03 07:38 PM

In article , ospam
(Larry Roll K3LT) writes:

Save your fingertips on this one. Kim can always be counted on to make
inane, specious arguments against CW and "CW zealots" anytime a story
like this comes out. If the story had been about how the hikers setup a
backpack portable HF/QRP station and called for help using CW, she would
insist that it didn't prove a damn thing. She can't be bothered to learn a
useful communications skill like the Morse code, and she needs to grasp at
any straw she can in order to prove her point.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Heeheeheeheeheeheehee!!!! ...gasp...HAWHAWHAWHAW!!!!!

Too much! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Larrah, try getting out in the world some more instead of dreaming the
impossible dreams in front of your computer.

LHA

Scott Unit 69 July 28th 03 10:37 PM

Oh goody. Another Larry Roll clone.

lmfao...

Kf6vyh July 29th 03 04:39 PM

Why bring up the CW debate, Th e story had nothing to due with the pros or cons
of CW . I have not been reading these news groups for a while for just this
reason. All any of you can talk or fight about is CW. If you Kim are so
concered with CW just start another CW thread. You are like a two year old
fighting for the shovle in a sand box. Give it a rest.

Len Over 21 July 29th 03 10:02 PM

In article ,
(Kf6vyh) writes:

Why bring up the CW debate, Th e story had nothing to due with the pros or

cons
of CW . I have not been reading these news groups for a while for just this
reason. All any of you can talk or fight about is CW. If you Kim are so
concered with CW just start another CW thread. You are like a two year old
fighting for the shovle in a sand box. Give it a rest.

Whether or not YOU don't like it, this newsgroup BEGAN EXISTANCE
to discuss the code test issue. :-)

LHA

Larry Roll K3LT July 30th 03 03:31 AM

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Answer the damn question, Larry. What do *YOU* think my point about CW

is?

The standard NCTA bullet points, Kim. I've never seen you come up with
anything original.

73 de Larry, K3LT

That is a cop-out of an answer, Larry.

Kim:

Except for the fact that it is the TRUTH. Of course, you would never
recognize that, particularly when it is in reference to yourself.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Elmer E Ing July 30th 03 03:37 PM

Well the guide to Amateur Radio newsgroups at URL:

http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/radio/personal-intro
Sez

The group rec.radio.amateur.policy was created as a place for all the
discussions that seem to drag on interminably about the many rules,
regulations, legalities, and policies that surround amateur radio, both
existing and proposed. Recent changes to the Amateur Radio Rules (FCC
Part 97) have finally laid to rest the Great Usenet Pizza Autopatch Debate
- it's now legal to order a pizza on the autopatch, if you're not in the
pizza business - as well as complaints about now-preempted local scanner
laws hostile to amateurs, but plenty of discussion about what a bunch of
rotten no-goodniks the local frequency coordinating body is, as well as
the neverending no-code debate, may still be found here.

Some of you have turned it into "a Morse/CW debate newsgroup" exclusively.

Hiker rescue has legal issues as a ham in california found out when he
called in on an Authority frequency with a modified HT.
Rescue was performed, but his HT was confiscated!

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
(Kf6vyh) wrote in message

Why bring up the CW debate, Th e story had nothing to due with the pros

or cons
of CW . I have not been reading these news groups for a while for just

this
reason. All any of you can talk or fight about is CW. If you Kim are so
concered with CW just start another CW thread. You are like a two year

old
fighting for the shovle in a sand box. Give it a rest.

There is no rest. This is a Morse/CW debate newsgroup. I could
suggest alt.survival if you want rescue stories.

Brian

El Moderator July 30th 03 05:10 PM

I could suggest alt.survival if you want rescue stories.

Lord I wish there was an alt.cw.debate.ad nauseous newsgroup

Three years of the same old pro-code, no-code rationalizations, insults,
obscenities, and sheer nonsense.
Thousands of them off topic, loaded with shameful personal attacks and
self-serving brag tape lies.

Go to google
select groups and advanced search for rec.radio.amateur.policy
search for code
Get 55,000 results
As the man sed "Give it a rest"

Why not get back to the intended purpose of this newsgroup as previously
posted?
Stop the personal attacks and obscenities and give Amateur Radio a good
name.

Somewhere out there is a alien space ship reading all this and observing
"Strange Society. Make course for home Scotty -- no sign of intelligence
here"

"Brian" wrote in message
om...

N2EY July 31st 03 01:21 AM

In article TKQVa.16115$ff.8006@fed1read01, "Elmer E Ing"
writes:

Hiker rescue has legal issues as a ham in california found out when he
called in on an Authority frequency with a modified HT.
Rescue was performed, but his HT was confiscated!

Yep - but you gotta tell "the rest of the story".....

The ham in question called for help on a police frequency, which he was not
authorized to use. Yes, anyone can use any frequency or mode in a life-or-death
emergency when there is no other option, but the authorities demonstrated that
the ham's HT would bring up several local repeaters from the rescue site - all
of which had autopatch that could call 911.

Case closed.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Kf6vyh July 31st 03 07:05 AM

Whether or not YOU don't like it, this newsgroup BEGAN EXISTANCE
to discuss the code test issue. :-)

1) No your are wrong you idiot.
2) the title of the newsgroup is
rec.radio.amateur.policy

NOT CW.PRO.CON

If Kim had spent the energy she has bitching about CW on learning CW she may
have passed it by now. IT'S NOT THAT HARD