Old July 26th 03, 07:45 AM
Steve Robeson, K4CAP

Default Ham Radio Rescue in California Press

Nothing like a bit of truth to unravel rants:

FROM THE ARRL WEBSITE:

Ham radio key in California hiker's rescue (Jul 24, 2003) -- The San
Diego Union Tribune's SignOnSanDiego.com Web news service reports that
a hiker in the El Capitan open space preserve suffering apparent heat
exhaustion was rescued July 19 after his hiking companion used ham
radio to relay a message to authorities. ARRL member Rod Dinkins,
AC6V, of Oceanside picked up the distress call from Tim Slaby, KG6QPL,
of Spring Valley and alerted the San Diego County Sheriff's
Department's Santee station.

(my emphasis added Slaby resorted to his handheld transceiver after
discovering that his cellphone wouldn't work in the wilderness.

(RESUME) KG6QPL was able to raise the Palomar Amateur Radio Club
repeater some 40 miles away, however. Slaby, who also carried a GPS
unit, was able to provide the pair's precise location. A sheriff's
helicopter crew rescued the exhausted hiker--identified as Thomas
Sayer--and airlifted him to an ambulance, which transported him to a
hospital, authorities said. He was treated for dehydration and
released about four hours. "For hikers in need of help, Amateur Radio
worked where their cell phone didn't," said ARRL Vice President (and
former Southwestern Division Director) Fried Heyn, WA6WZO.

UNQUOTE

Nice job, Rod and Tim!

73

Steve, K4YZ
Old July 26th 03, 04:42 PM
Kim W5TIT

"Steve Robeson, K4CAP" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job. That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to
Old July 26th 03, 06:06 PM
David Lafferty

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job. That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

And what EXACTLY does that have to do with the story? The focus of the
story was ham radio used in a rescue. It's good PR for ham radio, no matter
if the transmission was phone, cw, psk-31, sstv, rtty, etc, etc, etc.

David K5DEL

Old July 26th 03, 06:27 PM
Kim W5TIT

"David Lafferty" wrote in message

Yeah, and note that it was a phone transmission that did the job.

That's
not a slam at CW, it's a slam at the CW zealots.

Kim W5TIT

And what EXACTLY does that have to do with the story? The focus of the
story was ham radio used in a rescue. It's good PR for ham radio, no

matter
if the transmission was phone, cw, psk-31, sstv, rtty, etc, etc, etc.

David K5DEL

And, you're exactly right. It is good PR for ham radio. We will all do
what we will the basis of the story. Are you dictating how I should act?

Kim W5TIT

---
Old July 26th 03, 09:19 PM
David Lafferty

And, you're exactly right. It is good PR for ham radio. We will all do
what we will the basis of the story. Are you dictating how I should act?

Kim W5TIT

While tempting, I do support everyone's right to express their thoughts.
Even when they have absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. I see
you still did not answer my question as to what mode was used had to do with
the events of the rescue. It appears to be an attempt to start another CW VS
Anti-CW discussion. Gee, we sure don't have enough of those.

At the store this morning, I saw prices for oranges were cheaper than the
apples. This statement has about as much to do with the story as your's
did.

David
K5DEL

Old July 26th 03, 11:32 PM
Dan/W4NTI

[...]

When she applied for her vanity call she actually requested;

W5TWIT. She was told it was to long...

Dan/W4NTI

Old July 27th 03, 12:30 AM
David Lafferty

When she applied for her vanity call she actually requested;

W5TWIT. She was told it was to long...

Dan/W4NTI

Best smile I've had today Dan...

Old July 27th 03, 12:30 AM
WA8ULX

Her 2nd choice wa W5****
Old July 27th 03, 02:41 AM
Kim W5TIT

"WA8ULX" wrote in message
When she applied for her vanity call she actually requested;

W5TWIT. She was told it was to long...

Dan/W4NTI

Her 2nd choice wa W5****

I guess you folks don't know the format of callsigns. One cannot get a 1X4.
You sure do behave like the very "CBer" type folks that you vilify!

Kim W5TIT

---
Old July 27th 03, 02:44 AM
Kim W5TIT

[...]

David, you have your way of interpreting and commenting on stories, and I
will too.

Kim W5TIT

---