Old August 13th 03, 09:46 PM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On 12 Aug 2003 23:40:34 GMT, wrote:

I'm really not interested in rrap, or you, thanks anyway.

Then why are you posting here?

I don't mean to include all ham radio operators, and afterall, it's
only my friggin opinion anyway.

Well, that's what rrap is all about, expressing our opinions. However,
there are a lot of people who will respect an opinion - even one they
disagree with - if the person expressing it feels strongly enough
about what they're saying to let others know who is saying it, which
by extension means it's a legitimate expression of an opinion rather
than some anonymous troll trying to stir up the hornets' nest. There
are exceptions, of course - some people just don't have enough pride
in themselves to care how much of an imbecile they look like in front
of the rest of the world - but generally this has shown to be the
case. As for not meaning to include all ham operators, that's good,
but your comments about the code test were directed to *me* in that
you posted them in a reply to a message that I posted...and if you
trouble yourself to check, you'll see that I've been posting in favor
of doing away with the code test for, oh, about six years now.

I've used the same NSP and ISP for years and years, my email is
valid too (remove nospam) So in your opinion, don't trust anyone
on Usenet, without a callsign?

See the above.

What troubles me is this: You claimed to be a "coded Tech" and yet
here you are griping about code testing. To me, this doesn't add up.
If you've already passed the code test, then as long as you hold onto
the CSCE and keep your license current, you no longer have to worry
about it. The next step for you is to pass Element 3 and upgrade to
General. Your tone suggests to me that you haven't passed a code test.
Now, if you had posted your call like many (most) of us here do, I
could have checked on QRZ and removed any such suspicions. As things
stand, I and the rest of us here in rrap have to wonder, under the
circumstances, if you even have a license at all. No license is
required for posting here, but if you are indeed a ham - regardless of
your license class - then be proud of that fact ande have the courtesy
to let the rest of us know who we're talking to, that's all.

The first sign of a blow hard, spelling and grammer corrections.

You fit right in here.

Well, you asked for this now, so: The first sign of a functional
illiterate, spelling and grammar errors. You fit right in on
rec.radio.cb.

So, when you realize you haven't made a point yet, you accuse me
of smoking crack?

That was giving you the benefit of the doubt, actually.

Sorry, you sound like an N8WWM type person. I hope you're not.

No, I'm a KC2HMZ type person...whatever that means. Bottom line,
though, is that if you want to retain any credibility here (which I'm
not sure you care to do) you might consider following the thread and
noticing who's on which side of an issue before you go spraying folks
who happen to agree with you (like me) with shots intended for folks
who disagree (like you did to me the day before yesterday). Or are you
just trolling rather than trying to make a point here?

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Old August 13th 03, 11:18 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Jim Hampton"
writes:

No, Mopar, the VEs charge. It used to be free at the FCC, but, for me at
least, that meant a 60 mile trip (120 miles round trip) to the FCC in
Buffalo, NY, and one minute of perfect copy at 20 words per minute.

It was free at the FCC until 1963 or 1964, when they began charging for

exams
(except Novice). That continued into the mid 1970s. The fee for an exam

started
out at $4 and went up to $9.

Now $9 doesn't sound like a lot today but back circa 1970 it was a lot of

lawns
cut or papers delivered if you were a kid. Even if you were an adult it

could
be a few hours' net pay. $10,000/yr was a good income back then, which

works
out to about $5/hour. Adjust that for inflation and today's VE fees are

cheap.

As AA2QA points out, though, the big expense and effort for many hams

wasn't
the exam itself but getting there. A kid in school had to wait for summer

and
working folk had to take at least a half day off 'cause the exams were on
weekday mornings. No do-overs or CSCEs, either, if you failed by even one
question, or were one letter short of the required copy, you could not

retest
for 30 days.

I was lucky; Upper Darby to the Philly Custom House was just a subway ride

with
a short walk at each end. For a kid in Harrisburg, Scranton or South

Jersey it
was a big deal just to get there.

The end result, though, was that most hams went to the exams extremely
overprepared. Wasn't worth taking a chance on failing.

73 de Jim, N2EY

But you know Jim even if they did prepare, A LOT FAILED, it was really an
exercise in who could overcome the nerves.

I had to take a 90 mile train ride to and from to take my test. I was 13 at
the time, and my mother came along. We spent the night at my aunt and
uncles.

Years later I realized it was the 'original incentive licensing'. He stern
words were " You better pass this thing the first time, we ain't doing this
again". I nicknamed her 'Old Sarge'...but never to her face.. hi. Sure do
miss her.

Dan/W4NTI

Old August 14th 03, 12:03 AM
Jack Twilley

"John" =3D=3D Radio Amateur KC2HMZ writes:

[...]

John What troubles me is this: You claimed to be a "coded Tech" and
John yet here you are griping about code testing. To me, this doesn't
John add up. If you've already passed the code test, then as long as
John you hold onto the CSCE and keep your license current, you no
John longer have to worry about it. The next step for you is to pass
John Element 3 and upgrade to General. Your tone suggests to me that
John you haven't passed a code test. Now, if you had posted your
John call like many (most) of us here do, I could have checked on QRZ
John and removed any such suspicions. As things stand, I and the rest
John of us here in rrap have to wonder, under the circumstances, if
John you even have a license at all. No license is required for
John posting here, but if you are indeed a ham - regardless of your
John license class - then be proud of that fact ande have the
John courtesy to let the rest of us know who we're talking to, that's
John all.

What troubles *me* is this:

1. Posters here see inconsistency where it doesn't exist.

There is no reason for a 20wpm Extra or a 5wpm Extra to support
code testing just because they passed it. I am a 5wpm Extra, and
I feel that the treaty was the only reason to maintain the test.
I wanted the license bad enough to pass the test, so I passed.
That doesn't mean I think that everyone else should. Trying to
read whether or not someone has passed the code test by their tone
is foolish, and wrapping the entire newsgroup under your "have to
wonder" umbrella is just foolish, which leads me to...

2. Posters here look down on those who post without callsigns.

Your comment that hams should "be proud" of their license is
foolish, but not as foolish as your justification for callsign
posting expectations -- "have the courtesy to let the rest of us
know who we're talking to". This thing we're using is called
"Usenet". It's been around for a long time, and the primary
technical form of identification for posters is something called
an "email address". It is also traditional to include one's real
name or a pseudonym, often in something called a "signature" which
is appended to their posts. I am using Dr. Evil quotes to make a
point. If you haven't figured it out yet, here it is again from
another direction. If I were calling CQ on 80 meters and using my
email address, you'd be unimpressed. Someone out there could
easily Google my email address to find out my name and other
information and then search the FCC database to find my callsign
and license class, but that's not an acceptable defense for not
using the proper and traditional identification methods. My
callsign shows up in approximately seven Usenet posts across three
newsgroups, none of which include this group. When I speak here,
I address myself as I wish to be addressed, which is by those
forms of identifications, formal and traditional, that are
appropriate to this media. The headers of my posts even include
suggested attributions for replies to my posts. The lack of a
callsign in my posts doesn't negate the value of what I type. It
frankly isn't relevant to any posts -- my license class is
relevant to some posts, but not many -- so I don't see any need to
include that information.

These comments aren't solely directed at you. You just wrote a post
that pushed two of my buttons. You should only take it personally if
those two items are things you really personally believe.
=20=20=20=20
Jack.
=2D --=20
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org
Old August 14th 03, 12:17 AM
Radio Amateur KC2HMZ

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:03:48 -0700, Jack Twilley
wrote:

1. Posters here see inconsistency where it doesn't exist.

There is no reason for a 20wpm Extra or a 5wpm Extra to support
code testing just because they passed it. I am a 5wpm Extra, and
I feel that the treaty was the only reason to maintain the test.
I wanted the license bad enough to pass the test, so I passed.
That doesn't mean I think that everyone else should. Trying to
read whether or not someone has passed the code test by their tone
is foolish, and wrapping the entire newsgroup under your "have to
wonder" umbrella is just foolish, which leads me to...

Well, Jack...I dunno how long you've been reading this NG, but I've
been here long enough to have noticed some patterns in other people's
posts. One of them is that trolls from rec.radio.cb who come here to
whine about code testing never post a callsign, frequently post
anonymously using a phony e-mail address, and post messages with a
tone that makes their agenda obvious to even the most casual of
observers. If you think that such reading between the lines is
foolish, you're entitled to your opinion. My opinion is that, rather
than foolish, I find it a useful tool for determining which posters
are interested in a serious discussion of an issue and which are
merely trolls that aren't worth wasting the time to reply to.

[...]

In the case of morphoholic, the issue isn't what his license class is,
but whether or not he even HAS one. He claimed to. Anyone can claim to
have a license. That doesn't mean that he or she does actually have
one. This is a ham radio related newsgroup. Hams know one another by
our calls, not our e-mail addresses or x-trace info or other server
junk that goes into the headers on a usenet message. Most of us here
like to know who we're talking to...and, being hams, we do that by
callsign. I think you'll find plenty of regulars here who will agree
with that.

These comments aren't solely directed at you. You just wrote a post
that pushed two of my buttons. You should only take it personally if
those two items are things you really personally believe.

No, I don't think I'm taking it personally; however, as I said, I
think you'll find that many of the regulars here will agree that, this
being a ham NG, there's a certain courtesy with posting your call to
let others know who they are dealing with. If you choose not to do so,
well, okay...you're not posting messages that border on trollism. If
you were, I wouldn't be wasting my time with a reply. ;-)

73 DE John, KC2HMZ

Old August 14th 03, 03:20 AM
N2EY

In article , "Dan/W4NTI"
writes:

But you know Jim even if they did prepare, A LOT FAILED, it was really an
exercise in who could overcome the nerves.

My sources tell me that the pass rate has been about 2/3 for years and years. I
don't know how true that is. I do know that it's a good thing the exam sessions
are more accessible than in those times.

I recall that one of the major complaints some hams had about incentive
licensing was the travel expense and time. Something like 1/6 of the ham
population back then were Conditionals. Something like 1/3 of the hams of the
'60s had never been to an FCC office exam (Novice, Tech and Conditional were
all by mail). None of the IL proposals included making the Advanced or Extra
available by mail.

For my money, the *best* system was that of the late '70s and very early '80s.
FCC examiners did all the testing and exam preparing, and there were office
sessions. BUT, if a ham group could guarantee a certain number of folks wanting
tests (I think the quororm/minyan was 10) then FCC would send out an examiner.
Most big hamfests had the FCC "traveling road show" giving exams.

Reagan's budget cuts ended all that.

I had to take a 90 mile train ride to and from to take my test. I was 13 at
the time, and my mother came along. We spent the night at my aunt and
uncles.

That's why I said I was lucky. At 13 it was a mile walk to K3NYT's house for
the Novice, and at 14 a subway ride. Nobody went with me, but those were
different times.

And since we were school kids, we were used to taking tests.

Years later I realized it was the 'original incentive licensing'. He stern
words were " You better pass this thing the first time, we ain't doing this
again". I nicknamed her 'Old Sarge'...but never to her face.. hi. Sure do
miss her.

I hear ya!

I recall that the Philly office gave exams on Monday thru Wednesday, and I
think there were no code tests on Wednesday. There was no way a kid would be
allowed to miss school for a ham exam back then. So all testing had to be done
in the summer, or over Xmas break if the holiday didn't fall on the wrong day.
With the 30 day retest rule and school getting out in mid-June, there were at
most three chances per summer or four chances per year - tops.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old August 14th 03, 03:04 PM
Brian Kelly

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message

The end result, though, was that most hams went to the exams extremely
overprepared. Wasn't worth taking a chance on failing.

73 de Jim, N2EY

But you know Jim even if they did prepare, A LOT FAILED, it was really an
exercise in who could overcome the nerves.

Absolute fact!

I had to take a 90 mile train ride to and from to take my test. I was 13 at
the time, and my mother came along. We spent the night at my aunt and
uncles.

Years later I realized it was the 'original incentive licensing'. He stern
words were " You better pass this thing the first time, we ain't doing this
again". I nicknamed her 'Old Sarge'...but never to her face.. hi. Sure do
miss her.

Hee! I was brought up in the same area where Jim lived, the FCC office
was only a trolley & an elevated ride away so neither of us had to
walk ten miles uphill both ways in blizzards to take the exams.

My Mom was brought up under well-heeled circumstances and had an older
brother whom she often referred to as a "ham radio operator". I never
met him because he passed away young around 1922 long before I was
born. He had a whole room full of radio gear and had, as she explained
it, the "first radio tubes in town". I suspected for a long time that
he was an SWL type, not a ham.

Time marched on and it got to be time for me to take my Novice exam, I
was 15-16 and roamed the rails at will by then. I told Mom I was going
downtown to take the gummint test to become a ham radio operator.
"That's nice dear, I don't remember Joseph taking a test though. Be
home for dinner" and that was the end of my folk's involvement to that
point. Until I actually got on the air and tore up every TV set on the
block. Then it became "Joseph didn't do that, turn that thing off!"
Oops. Thus it was that I became the "80M Midnite Stalker", I only got
on the air after midnite when the TV stations were broadcasting test
patterns and/or shut down.

We have a nickname for our Mom too. She has four sets of X-Ray eyes,
can hear whispers six blocks away and has radar the Navy would kill
for. We got away with *NOTHING*. The best way to get any of her ten
grandchildren back in line was to threaten to call Spooky Old Alice
and have her swoop in on her broom and deal with them. OhYeah it
worked! So for decades now she's been known universally as The Spook,
or just "Spook" or "Spooky". Her e-mail address was .
She'll be 90 in a couple weeks. She spends a lot of time in what we
call "Alice's World" these days but she's still kickin'.

Dan/W4NTI

w3rv