Old August 13th 03, 09:21 PM
WA8ULX

Default Do Hams get 11 Meters Back

Hams can have as many meters as they like, though most commercially made
ham radios use LCD displays. I can't imagine anyone needing 11 meters.
Where is there?

-Barry

Typical CBplusser answer.
Old August 22nd 03, 11:43 AM
WA3IYC

In article ,
(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
In article , "Dan/W4NTI"
writes:

But you know Jim even if they did prepare, A LOT FAILED, it was really

an
exercise in who could overcome the nerves.

My sources tell me that the pass rate has been about 2/3 for years and

years. I
don't know how true that is. I do know that it's a good thing the exam

sessions
are more accessible than in those times.

There was another side to that coin, "access abuse". We had a nitwit
who took the Novice test at least four times. Each time he took the
test his score went up a bit. He figgered that if he took it often
enough he'd eventually pass. Which he did.

Yeah, but he had to space them out. Today he could take a test over and over
the same day.

For my money, the *best* system was that of the late '70s and very early
'80s.
FCC examiners did all the testing and exam preparing, and there were office
sessions. BUT, if a ham group could guarantee a certain number of folks
wanting
tests (I think the quororm/minyan was 10) then FCC would send out an
examiner.
Most big hamfests had the FCC "traveling road show" giving exams.

Reagan's budget cuts ended all that.

Din do any good. There's a piece in one of his autobiographies about
the day he got a report on how, after all his attempts to reduce the
gummint head count, the head count was up 10% from the previous year.

What a dumass. Head count doan matter, it's $$ that matters.

Whereupon he went off on what has been described as probably the most
"colorful" half hour rant to ever originate in the Oval Office.
Followed by an admotion to his successors in that office to not expect
to have any control of the gummint, "It has a #$@!xF# life of it's
own!"

Well, DUH, Ronnie!

Now we have AHHnold, Gary Coleman, and a porn star among the candidates for
governor of the "Golden State" and its ever-rising budget shortfall. They're
doing it for the Gipper.....

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old September 10th 03, 03:59 AM
Larry Roll K3LT

In article , "Kim W5TIT"
writes:

Anyone who would forsake any communication venue
just doesn't have a clue for the value of that venue...

Kim W5TIT

Does this mean the fact that you forsake the Morse code communications
venue indicates that you "just don't have a clue for the value of that
venue"? (Your words, not mine.)

Sunuvagun!

With all kind wishes,

de Hans, K0HB

I just discovered this post, Hans. You have a better capability of
understanding than what is demonstrated above. I do not, and never have
forsaked CW communication. Perhaps you can give me an idea as to how I
caused you to think that?

And, please don't get confused with the *testing* requirement, which I don't
like; and that I don't like using it. Just because someone doesn't see its
merit as a testing element and just because I don't use the mode, does not
mean I don't believe in its value. Every area where I have had any
influence in emergency communication has always included a venue for *any*
form of radio communication, CW included; ATV included; etc.

Kim W5TIT

Kim:

For someone who has often characterized herself as an intelligent person,
you would appear to have a poor grasp of the meaning and usage of the
word "venue." A "venue" (n.) is a place, a locality, a location for something
to take place. Your incorrect usage of this term would tend to indicate
an inclination toward prolixity. I suggest that you eschew obfuscation
and select less egregiously irrelevant verbiage, lest you be accused
of circumlocution.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Old September 11th 03, 12:57 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Larry Roll K3LT" wrote in message
In article , "Kim W5TIT"

writes:

[...]

Don't bother with TWIT Larry. She probably 'blocked' you too... hi.

Dan/W4NTI