Old August 14th 03, 02:22 AM
WA8ULX

Default New Ham Term

All new Amateurs entering into Amateur Radio, will no longer be refered to as
Hams. The new Name will be CBerHams.
Old August 19th 03, 02:18 AM
WA8ULX

I take it this is your expression of distaste for the lowering of
standards to get a ham license?

No Im just calling it what it is turning into.

Old August 19th 03, 04:57 AM
Vshah101

From (Daniel J. Morlan)

The new Name will be CBerHams.

I take it this is your expression of distaste for the lowering of
standards to get a ham license?

You are mistaken. The license is an Amateur Radio license, not a "ham" license
as you state above.

You really should follow what's going on. The standards have not been lowered
to get an amateur radio license- the code requirement may be dropped.

Also, not that the code requirement MAY be dropped. It hasn't been dropped yet.
Lets hope it does get dropped.

Old August 19th 03, 09:51 PM
Daniel J. Morlan

Well, I am greener than green when it comes to these things, as I have
yet to get my technician license, but I expect to get my general right
after, if not immediately after taking the technician test. I am
studying morse code, and expect that only a week left of study will
leave me more than able to pass the test.

As far as people being upset with the deterioration of ham, I might
agree to a certain degree. Once in a while, a little levity is okay,
but people burping, farting, and playing weird sound effects doesn't
constitute (as far as I'm concerned) good use of the ham bands... I
question its legality, as well. I hear people trying to imitate other
hams (though they don't go so far as blathering out other people's
callsigns)

Again, I'm profoundly green, and at this point of study, would barely
pass my tech exam. I want to ace it. I expect to ace it.

Hopefully it won't be too long.

DJM

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Daniel J. Morlan wrote:
(WA8ULX) wrote in message ...

All new Amateurs entering into Amateur Radio, will no longer be refered to as
Hams. The new Name will be CBerHams.

I take it this is your expression of distaste for the lowering of
standards to get a ham license?

BTW, Daniel, remember that this group is the seamy underside of the ARS,
so bear in mind we like to argue...... tain't a safe place at all.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old August 19th 03, 10:45 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

Dan keep in mind the ham population of the USA is over 680,000 licensees.
So several dozen renegades on the bands can reek havoc.
Was that way since way back when, not just today.
The greater % of hams are very well behaved.

As far as new license requirements -- when you get the ticket -- you are
every bit an Amateur Radio Operator as any one else.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Just some old timers are 40 years
behind times.

Welcome to Ham Radio and ignore the grizzly old timers who had to draw a
Colpitts Oscillator to get their license.

That from an extra class licensee - for 25 Years.
om...