Old August 22nd 03, 07:28 PM
N2EY

Default NCI Petition for Rulemaking

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"WA3IYC" wrote in message
Would you agree with this statement:

however, at the same time, those who are not interested in building radios
should not be forced to learn how they work in order to gain amateur radio
privileges ...

No ... because, even if you don't build your own radios, you are responsible
for their proper operation.

Do you think every ham understands how their radios work? Do you think
the tests even begin to measure the things a ham needs to know to
determine if a radio is working properly?

How could you possibly know something was
wrong if you had no knowledge of how the radio worked?

By how it behaves. And by how other hams tell you it sounds, or
doesn't sound.

This is an interference control issue ... a technical matter ... and
knowledge
of this IS required in order to be competent to operate a station in full
compliance with the rules.

Do you really think even the Extra test measures that knowledge?
Particularly given the extremely wide range of technologies that a ham
is authorized to use?

Example: New Ham buys old rig, which requires tuning up. Even though
in perfect operating order, said rig can be mistuned by the unknowing
to produce all sorts of spurious responses. Current tests say nothing
about proper method of dipping and loading, grid drive, audio gain,
etc. Heck, most current EEs couldn't get the thing to work without
help.

But FCC trusts that New Ham will seek out a manual, read up, get help
from Old Hams, and be a responsible licensee even though the tests
didn't cover 1% of how his new/old rig works. FCC trusts that New Ham
will educate him/herself on the technology used and not cause
interference. So why should New Ham be forced to jump through a
written test hoop and learn things he/she won't use? Answer: Because
some folks think he/she should have to. And for no other reason.

2) Knowledge of morse code can only be measured by a practical skill
test.

Excuse me ... I think you mean "proficiency in " not "knowledge of" ...

No, I mean "knowledge of". Skills are a form of knowledge, as are facts

and
concepts. Perhaps it would be better to write "practical knowledge"

No, it's proficiency that the test measures

That's a skill.

... proficiency in decoding Morse
in one's head at some specified speed.

5 wpm. Which is not "proficient" by any stretch of the imagination.

And that's ALL it is according to
the FCC (see the "No Code Technician" decision from 1990 and the R&O
in 98-143 ... you'll see EXACTLY that in both documents).

Sure. But just because FCC says it does not make it true.

The Morse test which is Element 1 tests the skill of receiving Morse code
at a very basic level.

Exactly, it measures a specific level of proficiency.

"Proficiency" starts at 10 wpm.

Element 1 is in no way a test of "proficiency". It's a skill test at a
very
basic level. To call it a proficiency test is to demonstrate ignorance of
the
word proficiency.

Proficiency is measured against some "yardstick" ... in the case of Morse,
the FCC has (currently) determined the yardstick to be 5 wpm.
You can argue all you want, but that's the way it is ...

Sure. But just because FCC says it does not make it true.

Yet they wouldn't include a sunset clause back in 2000

True ... they didn't include a sunset clause.

Which means they were not 100% convinced. Otherwise why do the whole
thing all over again?

and they're making all of us go through an NPRM cycle all over again.

How the FCC will handle this is yet to be determined ...

So far it looks like NPRM time. As more and more proposals/petitions
roll in, and old ones remain unresolved, the ARRL forecast of two
years begins to look reasonable.

If FCC thinks there really is
"no regulatory purpose" to a code test, WHY are they dragging their feet
and doing the whole circus AGAIN?

See my last sentence ...

We'll see. Not even 2 months since WRC-03, and the summer is not even
over yet. FCC could, upon review of the petitions, say "Yeah, we went
through this 3 years ago, nothing's changed, bye-bye Element 1".

[snipped unrelated discussion of BPL]

Not unrelated at all. But I understand why you snipped it.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old August 22nd 03, 09:06 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

om...

"WA3IYC" wrote in message
Would you agree with this statement:

however, at the same time, those who are not interested in building

radios
should not be forced to learn how they work in order to gain amateur

radio
privileges ...

No ... because, even if you don't build your own radios, you are

responsible
for their proper operation.

Do you think every ham understands how their radios work?

No. Do I think that every ham *should* have at least a basic,
fundmental idea of how their radios work? Hell yes. (that is
my personal view)

Do you think
the tests even begin to measure the things a ham needs to know to
determine if a radio is working properly?

They are certainly a step in the right direction ... but since this is
beyond the NCI Petition's scope and NCI's agenda, I don't
want to debate it in this context ...

[snip of written test related stuff as OT for this thread]

2) Knowledge of morse code can only be measured by a practical

skill
test.

Excuse me ... I think you mean "proficiency in " not "knowledge of"

No, I mean "knowledge of". Skills are a form of knowledge, as are

facts
and
concepts. Perhaps it would be better to write "practical knowledge"

No, it's proficiency that the test measures

That's a skill.

... proficiency in decoding Morse
in one's head at some specified speed.

5 wpm. Which is not "proficient" by any stretch of the imagination.

In your view ... 5 wpm proficiency was what the FCC determined
to be adequate to satisfy its obligations under the *old* ITU Radio
Regs. NOW the ITU Radio Regs don't require any Morse test
at all and the FCC is free to eliminate that unnecessary element that
they have ALREADY determined "does not comport with the purpose
of the ARS" and "serves no regulatory purpose."

And that's ALL it is according to
the FCC (see the "No Code Technician" decision from 1990 and the R&O
in 98-143 ... you'll see EXACTLY that in both documents).

Sure. But just because FCC says it does not make it true.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but it's what the FCC says that
COUNTS.

The Morse test which is Element 1 tests the skill of receiving Morse

code
at a very basic level.

Exactly, it measures a specific level of proficiency.

"Proficiency" starts at 10 wpm.

That's absurd ... proficiency is a relative term that must be quantified.
One can be proficient at a variety of levels in any activity requiring
some sort of acquired skill.

Yet they wouldn't include a sunset clause back in 2000

True ... they didn't include a sunset clause.

Which means they were not 100% convinced.

No, they stated that they would not presuppose the outcome of
a WRC and were uncertain when the matter would be considered
by a WRC ... they did NOT indicate any doubt or "waffling" on their
"does not comport with the purpose of the ARS" and "serves no
regulatory purpose determinations.

Otherwise why do the whole thing all over again?

and they're making all of us go through an NPRM cycle all over again.

How the FCC will handle this is yet to be determined ...

So far it looks like NPRM time. As more and more proposals/petitions
roll in, and old ones remain unresolved, the ARRL forecast of two
years begins to look reasonable.

We shall see ... hopefully the FCC will have the courage and wisdom
to save a LOT of their valuable, limited resources and spare the ham
community another two years of crap and just get it over with.

If FCC thinks there really is
"no regulatory purpose" to a code test, WHY are they dragging their

feet
and doing the whole circus AGAIN?

See my last sentence ... [refering to "How the FCC will handle this
is yet to be determined ..."]

We'll see. Not even 2 months since WRC-03, and the summer is not even
over yet. FCC could, upon review of the petitions, say "Yeah, we went
through this 3 years ago, nothing's changed, bye-bye Element 1".

It takes time for the government to do anything ... we're still in the
pre-dawn
stages of a regulatory day ... but that doesn't mean it's going to take 2
years
either ...

[snipped unrelated discussion of BPL]

Not unrelated at all. But I understand why you snipped it.

BPL is unrelated to the Morse test issue, but I *did* file Reply
Comments on BPL ... in fact, at the risk of being accused of
boasting a bit, I got a very gracious e-mail from someone high
up at ARRL HQ complimenting me on them and thanking me for
corroborating Ed Hare's field test observations ...

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old August 22nd 03, 10:51 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Proficiency" starts at 10 wpm.

That's absurd ... proficiency is a relative term that must be quantified.
One can be proficient at a variety of levels in any activity requiring
some sort of acquired skill.

We might consider the arguments presented in the book "The Art and Skill of
Radiotelegraphy". The author had done extensive study on Morse code
teaching methods, learning abilities, etc. His definition of proficiency is
along the lines of what level must a person obtain to prevent forgetting it.
Basically his research showed that those who achieved 13wpm did not forget
the code even if they did not use it. They would get "rusty" so to speak
and their speed would fall off if they did not use it but they would not
forget it. Once they resumed using it, their speed would fairly quickly
climb back to their previous level. That would seem like a reasonable
definition.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old August 23rd 03, 01:53 AM
Brian

"WA3IYC" wrote in message
Would you agree with this statement:

however, at the same time, those who are not interested in building radios
should not be forced to learn how they work in order to gain amateur radio
privileges ...

No ... because, even if you don't build your own radios, you are responsible
for their proper operation.

Do you think every ham understands how their radios work? Do you think
the tests even begin to measure the things a ham needs to know to
determine if a radio is working properly?

Do you think that you could submit questions to the QPC concerning
those things that a ham needs to know?

And so it degenerates into a Morse Code argument again. Knowledge and
skill in Morse (Farnsworth) will keep your radio working properly.

2) Knowledge of morse code can only be measured by a practical skill
test.

Excuse me ... I think you mean "proficiency in " not "knowledge of" ...

No, I mean "knowledge of". Skills are a form of knowledge, as are facts

and
concepts. Perhaps it would be better to write "practical knowledge"

No, it's proficiency that the test measures

That's a skill.

... proficiency in decoding Morse
in one's head at some specified speed.

5 wpm. Which is not "proficient" by any stretch of the imagination.

Its the new standard, albeit probably short lived.

And that's ALL it is according to
the FCC (see the "No Code Technician" decision from 1990 and the R&O
in 98-143 ... you'll see EXACTLY that in both documents).

Sure. But just because FCC says it does not make it true.

Ditto the ARRL.

The Morse test which is Element 1 tests the skill of receiving Morse code
at a very basic level.

Exactly, it measures a specific level of proficiency.

"Proficiency" starts at 10 wpm.

Where is Morse proficiency defined? Where is Morse defined?
Old August 23rd 03, 06:37 AM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(Brian) writes:

.com...

"WA3IYC" wrote in message
Would you agree with this statement:

however, at the same time, those who are not interested in building

radios
should not be forced to learn how they work in order to gain amateur

radio
privileges ...

No ... because, even if you don't build your own radios, you are

responsible
for their proper operation.

Do you think every ham understands how their radios work? Do you think
the tests even begin to measure the things a ham needs to know to
determine if a radio is working properly?

Do you think that you could submit questions to the QPC concerning
those things that a ham needs to know?

Reverend Jim always blames nasty ol' FCC.

And so it degenerates into a Morse Code argument again. Knowledge and
skill in Morse (Farnsworth) will keep your radio working properly.

It must be that morsemanship is to technological measurement of
transmitter performance as the laying-on of hands is to modern
medicine. :-)

[...]

A couple of REALLY old-timer morsemen tell me that even 20 WPM
is kid stuff. REAL proficiency starts at 40 WPM and goes on up.

Don't sweat the technical stuff...morsemanship will do ALL. It is the
magic wand, the talisman of the occult, the ONLY thing needed in
the year 2003 to "make a radio work properly." :-)

Archaic Radiotelegraphy Service

Has a nice ring to it.

All those Brass Pounder Leaguers ought to file and request an NPRM
for just changing the ARS title and drop all written tests, keeping only
a morse test...at 40 WPM, of course.

LHA

Old August 23rd 03, 06:33 PM
Brian

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Proficiency" starts at 10 wpm.

That's absurd ... proficiency is a relative term that must be quantified.
One can be proficient at a variety of levels in any activity requiring
some sort of acquired skill.

We might consider the arguments presented in the book "The Art and Skill of
Radiotelegraphy".

Why?

The author had done extensive study on Morse code
teaching methods, learning abilities, etc.

Cool. Who is the author, what is his callsign? And what is the
copyright date?

I'll bet he wrote it long after the code began to wane in any (every)
radio service.

His definition of proficiency is
along the lines of what level must a person obtain to prevent forgetting it.
Basically his research showed that those who achieved 13wpm did not forget
the code even if they did not use it. They would get "rusty" so to speak
and their speed would fall off if they did not use it but they would not
forget it. Once they resumed using it, their speed would fairly quickly
climb back to their previous level. That would seem like a reasonable
definition.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee, you might want to suggest this as the definition of "Morse
Proficiency" to the FCC.

You might also want them to define Morse Code as it has some how
slipped out of Title 47. Hey, while they're at it, ask them to define
how to compute "Words per Minute," and Farnsworth.
Old August 23rd 03, 07:05 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Do you think every ham understands how their radios work?

Few do.

At what level of expertise do you need here? Simple concepts on how
superheterodynes
work (block level diagrams) or precise knowledge on RF analog chip design?

My take on the general level of expertise can be reduced to:

"A transmitter sends out signals and a receiver receives them."

:-)

Or, when questioned on something more specific, the pointing to a large
stack of old QSTs and some Handbooks, "I got all the techie smarts I
need right THERE, I took my TEST long ago and don't have to learn
nuthin!"

Do you think
the tests even begin to measure the things a ham needs to know to
determine if a radio is working properly?

The FCC no longer devises the license exam test questions and it no
longer requires a minimum number of questions on specific topics within
the minimum number of written test questions per class.

Address your complaints about written exam question content to the
VEC Question Pool Committee.

At least enough knowledge to spot gross problems.

"Gross problems?"

Address bitching about "today's technical test dumbing-down" to the
VEC QPC.

Meanwhile, continue to operate solely in the ham bands (on HF, there
are no other real ham bands) and forget about interfering with any other
radio services. That's not a "ham problem" anyway, is it?

How could you possibly know something was
wrong if you had no knowledge of how the radio worked?

By how it behaves. And by how other hams tell you it sounds, or
doesn't sound.

HAR! Another reducto ad absurdum commentary! :-)

If (as you said earlier) hams don't have any grasp of technical matters,
how can they possibly judge the quality of signals? :-)

Listening to an AM or SSB signal with an FM receiver doesn't yield much
information on that AM or SSB signal, does it? How about judging
signal quality of FM on an AM receiver? Does slope detection yield
"quality" of signal that way?

Come on, few hams are that stupid.

I've met some. A few of those were morsemen, too! :-)

First thing I check is to see that I have the right receive
mode enabled. "Oh, I had LSB enabled for 20 meters, no wonder everyone
sounded screwed up".

Nu?

My hearing is not special but it is absurdly easy to spot a wrong-sideband
SSB receive mode by EAR, not having to check any panel controls...

On most modern HF transceivers, the 3rd harmonic has the strongest
content of RF. The 3rd harmonic of 3.5 to 4.0 MHz is 10.5 to 12 MHz
and there aren't many "ham listening frequencies" there, are there?

More than the fundamental?

Of the HARMONICS, the 3rd is MOST LIKELY to be the strongest
HARMONIC.

Don't try to get into nit-picky arguments over parts of sentences.

The third harmonic of 3.5 to 4.0 MHz transmissions doesn't fall into any
"ham bands" on HF so it is extremely unlikely that any other amateur
would have any listening capability in that part of HF.

Modern radios rarely have a failure in this
that is not obvious in other areas of performance.

That's a very nice blanket statement which is so much phlogiston, a
perfect rationale to absolve oneself from any need to know anything
technical. From experience in lots of "modern radios" designed and
built for far harsher environments than amateur radio, that's BUNK.

The Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) of "modern radios" is FAR
BETTER now than at any time in the past, especially after the solid-
state era was entered. A couple of orders of magnitude BETTER.

"Modern radios" just haven't reached the perfection level yet.

Hams tend to give "signal reports" as 5-9-9 regardless of actual
lower values...it's the buddy-thing to do to fellow hams, right?

"Everyone is "59" on my meter..." :-)

Of course. Every ham signal is always perfect everywhere. Uh huh.

Do you really think even the Extra test measures that knowledge?
Particularly given the extremely wide range of technologies that a ham
is authorized to use?

We do put some faith in the quality of our manufactured equipment. Like if

the
harmonics are really down 60 dB or if our rigs are leaking harmonics only 55

dB
down. But we should be able to spot a gross deficency (like something broke).
Not necessairly be able to repair it ourselves, but be able to spot the

problem and
take the bad equipment out of service.

Not a problem. Just read the QST Equipment Reviews and BELIEVE them.
Don't bother with trying to measure anything yourself. Forget theory,
forget
having to learn anything, forget it all, just adjust those paddles and beep
away. Equipment Reviews wouldn't LIE to anyone, would they? After all,
HAMS did the testing, right? If specifications are printed on real paper
with
real ink, they are absolutely withoutadoubt "honest" and faithful to all
hams.

Do ALL the "technical discussions about performance" based on SOMEONE
ELSE's measurements. Argue the fine points of what SOMEONE ELSE
wrote. Never challenge any specifications printed on real paper with real
ink...if a ham did it, it is beyond criticsm. There's no point in doing it
yourself unless you have all the "credentials" and have been a ham for
decades...NOT doing a lot except USING the radios.

If you swiped a credit card for $2000 or so for an all-mode, all-everything
super-special, esthetically-gorgeous, ham whiz-bang, do NOT question
ANY of the manufacturer's specifications. Accept it on FAITH. You "got
what you paid for," right?

Hello? Want to improve written test content and quality? Go talk
at the VEC QPC and bitch at them...

No arguments on that? :-)

Example: New Ham buys old rig, which requires tuning up. Even though
in perfect operating order, said rig can be mistuned by the unknowing
to produce all sorts of spurious responses. Current tests say nothing
about proper method of dipping and loading, grid drive, audio gain,
etc. Heck, most current EEs couldn't get the thing to work without
help.

BFD. Did that 50 years ago, not even an EE then. Rather OLD
rigs then, some of them. :-)

Issue is a new ham trying to use the old rig as "plug and play" like a
new rig. He has to RTFM.

Nope. All that is necessary is skill and proficiency at morse code.
And being able to subtly tune in a signal in ways that professionals
couldn't possibly do.

didn't cover 1% of how his new/old rig works. FCC trusts that New Ham
will educate him/herself on the technology used and not cause
interference. So why should New Ham be forced to jump through a
written test hoop and learn things he/she won't use? Answer: Because
some folks think he/she should have to. And for no other reason.

Has the FCC *EVER* stated such a position? I don't think so.

The FCC does NOT specify the various content of written questions
on ANY written element...ONLY the total number.

See VEC QPC......

I think the FCC does has some specifications on the material to be
tested.

The FCC specifies the number of questions on every written test
element. Beyond that the ENTIRETY of the written test questions
and answers is left solely up to the VEC QPC.

The FCC has "final cut" on the written elements (final approval) but
that is rather pro forma.

And on the quality
of the wrong answers on a multiple choice test. You can't ask "the
voltage across a 1 ohm
resistor at 1 amp is: a) bananas, b) New Jersey c) 1 volt d) a can of beer."

Complain to the VEC QPC if you have a problem with that.

Sure. But just because FCC says it does not make it true.

The FCC does the licenses, and they decide what they care about in
deciding if an applicant gets a license or not.

No kidding?!? :-)

The FCC hasn't "cared much" anywhichway since the small but slight
change in Part 97 a few years ago when the VEC QPC got the WHOLE
magilla on written element questions and answers.

"Proficiency" starts at 10 wpm.

Well, the tests are done "Farnsworth" style, ie, fast code characters spaced

at 5 WPM
rate. Idea is to get people to learn the sounds of the characters instead of

thinking of
the dits and dahs and deducing the character. Less time wasted getting

proficient at
code if one chooses to.

There you have it...MORSEMANSHIP is the MOST IMPORTANT factor in
amateur radio operations below 30 MHz!!!

According to some, anyway...

You can bet your NAL that what the FCC is *TRUE* is very much true
if you get NAiLed.

Well, the FCC isn't going to NAiL you for being only able to do 7WPM instead

of 20
in the extra CW subband (really the extra data subband). Actually, I think we

should
informally keep the novice subbands as beginner Morse code users and have

informally
reserve the extra subbands for people who can do high speed Morse. Used to be

and
likely still is that expert morse men rove the novice subbands looking to

elmer the newbies.

Morsemanship uber alles in the year 2003!

There are NO "novice class" amateur radio licenses issued in
USA amateur radio. Are you going to keep space on a
"reservation" for all those missing indians or what?

How about we keep all those Morsemen Chiefs on their elite little
EM spectrum reservations, maybe have dude ranches where
youngsters can all attend to learn the Old Ways of Morse?

All those old Morse Chiefs have been giving us "lip" on their
morsemanship, now we can give them "lip service" by keeping
them all on their EM reservations. Everyone can be happy, the
Chiefs can brag up a storm, recite the old Maxims, and keep the
religion of morse alive in their peyote-fueled fantasies about radio.

We'll see. Not even 2 months since WRC-03, and the summer is not even
over yet. FCC could, upon review of the petitions, say "Yeah, we went
through this 3 years ago, nothing's changed, bye-bye Element 1".

The FCC hasn't said that yet. Or do you have "insider information" that
even Phil K. doesn't have?

Takes time for the brearucracy to turn its wheels. You think ham radio issues

like this
are at the top of the FCC's list of burning issues? I doubt it.

I'm not worried. It took TWENTY-FOUR YEARS to make a
dent in the "40m problem" and that isn't resolved yet.

All those Morse Chiefs are big and important...mouth-wise. They've
beeped for so long that they won't hesitate to send smoke signals
to the Great (Black and) White Father in Washington to Keep The
Morse Faith. [the Forestry Service may have to send tanker planes
to help control all the smoke and fire...]

All should strive to protect and serve the standards and practices of
the 1930s' radio in this new millennium. Keep the morse faith.

beep, beep

LHA

Old August 23rd 03, 08:15 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

Do you think every ham understands how their radios work?

Few do.

At what level of expertise do you need here? Simple concepts on how
superheterodynes work (block level diagrams) or precise knowledge
on RF analog chip design?

My *personal* view is that the former (basic block diagram level
understanding)
should be the minimum. More detailed knowledge is something that folks can
and should, ideally, strive for ... however, RF chip design is an area for
the pros
.... hams can't fab RF chips in their workshops ... BUT, they CAN "fab" all
sorts
of interesting things with FPGAs and other programmable logic devices - with
affordable "eval" boards and inexpensive (sometimes free) software.

A few years ago (at work, I admit, but I could just as easily have done it
at home, as I have the tools) I designed an all-digital (I mean nothing but
gates) modem for orthogonal BFSK that performs within 1.2 dB of
theoretical ideal, yet was coded in VHDL and synthesized into an FPGA
for the proof of concept model. While the VHDL was later re-targeted
into a custom ASIC along with some other stuff, the cost of an FPGA that
would be more than capable has come down to the point where home
experimenters and "cottage industry shops" catering to the amateur market
(which is, comparatively, a "niche market") could use this method of
producing all sorts of useful stuff.

So, to sumarize, my *personal* view is that block diagram understanding
is a minimum "entry level". More than that is "a good thing" and should
be a goal. Not every ham is going to be/can be an RF engineer, nor do
they need to be, but the overall average level of technical knowledge
could, in my *personal* opinion, be increased if ham radio was focused
a *bit* more on the radio/electronics and a bit less on "operating,"

73,
Carl - wk3c

Old August 24th 03, 03:38 AM
Dan Finn

"Len Over 21" wrote in message

On most modern HF transceivers, the 3rd harmonic has the strongest
content of RF. The 3rd harmonic of 3.5 to 4.0 MHz is 10.5 to 12 MHz
and there aren't many "ham listening frequencies" there, are there?

For most modulated sine waves, the 3rd harmonic is usually the strongest
*harmonic* although it depends upon several factors. Generally, the odd
harmonic components add and the negative components subtract with modulated
sine waves. Having said that, most modern rigs that produce FCC quality
signals will filter such harmonics several 10's of dB rendering reception
almost impossible except in the near field. I thought I needed to correct
this BS, that emanates from someone who claims to understand modern amateur
technology theory. Hams transmitting signals of any significance on 12MHz
will not be hams for long.

de KR4AJ

Old August 24th 03, 04:34 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

igy.com...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
"Proficiency" starts at 10 wpm.

That's absurd ... proficiency is a relative term that must be

quantified.
One can be proficient at a variety of levels in any activity requiring
some sort of acquired skill.

We might consider the arguments presented in the book "The Art and Skill

of
Radiotelegraphy".

Why?

Re-read the following sentence as it states why.

The author had done extensive study on Morse code
teaching methods, learning abilities, etc.

Cool. Who is the author, what is his callsign? And what is the
copyright date?

Since I've given the title of the book, surely you can do the research
yourself for that data. Hint, it's available as a free download off the
internet so you can find it with any search engine. However the fourth
edition is copyrighted 2003 and is by William G. Pierpont, N0HFF.

I'll bet he wrote it long after the code began to wane in any (every)
radio service.

His definition of proficiency is
along the lines of what level must a person obtain to prevent forgetting

it.
Basically his research showed that those who achieved 13wpm did not

forget
the code even if they did not use it. They would get "rusty" so to

speak
and their speed would fall off if they did not use it but they would not
forget it. Once they resumed using it, their speed would fairly quickly
climb back to their previous level. That would seem like a reasonable
definition.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee, you might want to suggest this as the definition of "Morse
Proficiency" to the FCC.

The FCC can define it anyway they like for their regulatory activities. The
author's definition is one that works in the real world, i.e. the point at
which the person is at little risk of forgetting the training.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE