Old August 28th 03, 11:53 PM
Keith

Default FCC taking Comments on RM-10787 No Code Elimination

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

Enter in the number RM-10787, fill out the address
information and upload or type in your comments on
the elimination of morse code testing as a requirement
to operate on HF.

--
The Radio Page Ham, Police Scanner, Shortwave and more.
http://www.kilowatt-radio.org/
Old August 29th 03, 12:12 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Keith" wrote in message
news
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

Enter in the number RM-10787, fill out the address
information and upload or type in your comments on
the elimination of morse code testing as a requirement
to operate on HF.

--
The Radio Page Ham, Police Scanner, Shortwave and more.
http://www.kilowatt-radio.org/
..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an
irate, tireless minority to set brush fires in people's
minds. --Samuel Adams

Thank you so much Keith, here is what I sent.

**************************************

I think the total ellimination of the Morse Code (CW) requirement will prove
detrimental to the Amateur Radio Service. I believe it will make it so easy
for trash to get into the ARS that it will eventually sound like CB Radio.

The testing has already been reduced to multiple guess. The CW test is a
ten question joke. In general you should NOT reduce the requirements ANY
MORE.

I base my comments on over 40 years as a FCC licensed Amateur Radio
Operater, I presently hold a pre give away EXTRA class license.

Thank You for your time.

Daniel L. Jeswald
W4NTI

Old August 29th 03, 12:58 AM
Trs1

Yep, Sounds like another one of those maggots that want the bands to
be given to someone else. Thats what happens when the bands are quiet.
The FCC gives them to another radio service. So I guess he would have
his Extra Class with a few less bands to operate soon instead of
letting other legit hams use the band to save it.

I will be here in a few years to hear you complain about the loss of
your bands.

Bye for now!

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:12:40 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this
mindspring.com wrote:

news

Old August 29th 03, 01:08 AM

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
I believe it will make it so easy
for trash to get into the ARS that it will eventually sound like CB Radio.

It's already so easy for trash to get in and turn it
into CB radio. WA8ULX is the poster BOY for
proof of this claim!

73

Old August 29th 03, 04:02 AM
Robert Casey

Keith wrote:

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

Enter in the number RM-10787, fill out the address
information and upload or type in your comments on
the elimination of morse code testing as a requirement
to operate on HF.

To see the petition for rule making, go to:
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/r...t=6514683 821
I did that so I could see what I'd be commenting on, and be able to make
a sensible
comment.

Old August 29th 03, 04:08 PM
Bert Craig

Keith wrote in message ink.net...
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

Enter in the number RM-10787, fill out the address
information and upload or type in your comments on
the elimination of morse code testing as a requirement
to operate on HF.

Thanks Keith,

Comments submitted. I hope the FCC is in listening mode. :-)

--
73 de Bert
WA2SI

Egbert C. Craig, Jr. August 29, 2003
WA2SI

Re. RM-10787

To whom it may concern:

Undoubtedly, there will be many comments filed re. this petition.
Therefore, I will be brief and to the point. Although I am not new to
radio and earned my GROL long before my amateur radio license, I am a
relative newcomer to amateur radio. As such, I feel that I can offer
an alternative view to many of the "old timers."

I believe that there is still a very important place for minimal Morse
code proficiency testing in U.S. amateur radio licensing. I've been
told that "proficiency" is the technically correct term, however, I do
not feel 5-wpm represents Morse proficiency. I feel that the current
5-wpm Element 1 test is sufficient to require an individual to learn
the Morse characters so that s/he may then make an educated decision
as to whether or not s/he wishes to pursue CW further.

I would like to dispel two myths that I have repeatedly heard/read in
the argument for dropping Element 1:

· The current Element 1 test acts as a filter to keep out Cbers and
other "insufficiently-dedicated" individuals.
· The current Element 1 test acts as a deterrent to newcomers to the
hobby/service.

Along with being an amateur radio "newbie," I am also a Cber and
Element 1 did not deter me in any way, shape, or form from upgrading
my license class and earning HF privileges. If during the course of
reviewing the comments filed re. RM-10787, this demographic is
referred to while supporting the removal of Element 1, please do not
include me. This "newbie" wholeheartedly supports the retention of
Element 1 testing for the General and Extra license class licenses.

In closing, I would also like to remind those who believe that Morse
code testing serves no "regulatory purpose" in amateur radio that
there is an intangible quality at stake here too. It is part of our
culture and tradition and therefore should not be removed from the
curriculum.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Egbert C. Craig, Jr.
WA2SI
Old August 30th 03, 01:52 PM
Brian

Keith wrote in message ink.net...
http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/upload_v2.cgi

Enter in the number RM-10787, fill out the address
information and upload or type in your comments on
the elimination of morse code testing as a requirement
to operate on HF.

Keith, I've been unable to find the FCC RM-10787 on their site. Could
you post it here?

Thanks, Brian/N0iMD
Old August 30th 03, 02:59 PM
WA8ULX

Amateur radio is a technical hobby,

When did that happen? Not as of recent Im sure.
Old September 4th 03, 02:20 AM
N2EY

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

I'm not sure that the Commission will go for an indefinite-term
license, even though the Comm Act appears to permit the Commission
to set terms of licenses by rule for all classes of stations except
broadcast stations which is set by statute.

Here's a thought: if an operator license has indefinite term, how do SK's ever
get reported?

In Japan, operator licenses never expire, even if the operator does. So the JA
operator license numbers you see are really the number of licenses ever issued,
not the number now active or even alive. They can be canceled, I think, but
that takes a lot of paperwork proving that the licensee is, in point of fact,
actually and quite completely dead.

JA station licenses. OTOH, do expire and cost money to renew. Thus the great
disparity between operator and station license numbers.

Also, when a JA ham upgrades, the old license remains on the records.

Imagine if we did that here in the USA. The license totals would be enormous,
and constantly growing! Some of us would show up in the tabulations as many as
5 or 6 times.

hmmmm....

73 de Jim, N2EY