RadioBanter

-   -   ARRL you can Kiss my $39.00 a Year Good Bye (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/26839-re-arrl-you-can-kiss-my-%2439-00-year-good-bye.html)

Larry Roll K3LT September 3rd 03 12:53 AM

ARRL you can Kiss my $39.00 a Year Good Bye

In article k.net,
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com writes:

The ARRL board is in favor of retaining CW on HF.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan:

Does that also mean they favor retaining code testing for a General or
Extra class license? If so, how hard are they going to work to keep the
current code testing requirement in place?

If the ARRL truly supported code testing, then "Restructuring" would have
come out a whole lot differently, perhaps keeping a 12-WPM test for
Extra. That didn't happen, and it's because the ARRL wants code testing
dropped, for the sake of (hopefully) getting more people licensed and
becoming members. It is their never spoken, hidden agenda.

Supporting "CW" and supporting code testing are two separate and
entirely different things.

73 de Larry, K3LT

Ryan, KC8PMX September 11th 03 05:35 AM

I still am curious why the "middle" code test speed was set at
thirteen...... Why not 12 or 14????

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Dan/W4NTI September 12th 03 01:40 AM

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
I still am curious why the "middle" code test speed was set at
thirteen...... Why not 12 or 14????

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)
--. --- -.. ... .- -. --. . .-.. ... .- .-. . ..-. .. .-. . ..-.
.. --. .... - . .-. ...

If the ARRL truly supported code testing, then "Restructuring" would

have
come out a whole lot differently, perhaps keeping a 12-WPM test for
Extra. That didn't happen, and it's because the ARRL wants code testing
dropped, for the sake of (hopefully) getting more people licensed and
becoming members. It is their never spoken, hidden agenda.

Because, for most people, the speed of 13 WPM meant you could ACTUALLY COPY
Morse Code.

For most folks, up to about 12 WPM you could copy it and NOT actually know
it.

Most countries in the world required 12 WPM. The US Military only wanted 10
Groups per minute. Groups meaning 5 letter 'groups' in a 1 minute period.

That help?

Dan/W4NTI

N2EY September 12th 03 02:48 AM

In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

I still am curious why the "middle" code test speed was set at
thirteen...... Why not 12 or 14????

FCC decision in 1936.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Ryan, KC8PMX September 15th 03 06:56 AM

Just wanted to know why 13 was some type of magic number.

Thanks,

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)

Len Over 21 September 16th 03 06:09 AM

In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

Just wanted to know why 13 was some type of magic number.

Ever stop to think about all the morsemen dooming themselves with
an "unlucky" number? :-)

LHA

PS: Good to hear you survived and all you need are some pain-killers.

Brian September 16th 03 11:59 PM

(Len Over 21) wrote in message ...
In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

Just wanted to know why 13 was some type of magic number.

Ever stop to think about all the morsemen dooming themselves with
an "unlucky" number? :-)

LHA

Great. As if Morse weren't religious enough, you get these guys
started on numerology.

Len Over 21 September 17th 03 02:47 AM

In article ,
(Brian) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

Just wanted to know why 13 was some type of magic number.

Ever stop to think about all the morsemen dooming themselves with
an "unlucky" number? :-)

LHA

Great. As if Morse weren't religious enough, you get these guys
started on numerology.

Maybe morsemen could use numerology to "prove something" new
about morse? So far, they only thing they've "proved" is that 'they did it
so everyone else has to, too.' It would be nice to see something new
about their addiction...er, affliction...no, I mean attitude of the ages.

LHA

Dee D. Flint September 17th 03 11:50 PM

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote in message
Just wanted to know why 13 was some type of magic number.

Thanks,

--
Ryan, KC8PMX
FF1-FF2-MFR-(pending NREMT-B!)
--. --- -.. ... .- -. --. . .-.. ... .- .-. . ..-. .. .-. . ..-.
.. --. .... - . .-. ...

Also there is some evidence that once one has reached the 13wpm level, they
will not forget it even if they don't use. They might grow rusty and become
slow. But it stays in the brain, ready to be called upon. See the book
"The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy," which is available for free
downloading from the internet. The author deliberately chose to make this
available to the public for free so that there is no copyright infringement
involved.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Brian Kelly September 20th 03 04:59 AM

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message . com...
"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
m...

. . . I think I lost some of my ability to get it down solid on paper at
speed and I'm working on that.

However I do not agree with a hypothesis that simply cramming for then
passing a 13 or even a 20wpm code test assures a lifetime ability to
copy Morse at any usable speed. I've seen too many examples of "cram &
pass" types who never actually used the stuff on the air to any extent
all but completely forget how to copy Morse. Apparently there is some
combination of both a speed and a number of hours of experience at
that speed which embeds Morse for life.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

w3rv

It appears to me that the reason 13wpm and higher works, according to the
reference, is that you CAN'T successfully cram to pass the higher speeds.
You've got to have those neural connections solidly in place. However for
10wpm and down you can cram and pass the tests.

I'm not particularly convinced that's the case but there isn't even
any soft evidence which indicates that is or is not the case.

Regardless, there is definitely a point at which a person won't forget even
if they believe they have done so (your experience being a case in point).

Agreed. In spades.

To me, this is the level that Extras should reach, i.e. a level that they
won't forget.

We agree 200% on THAT point!

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

w3rv