Old September 30th 03, 01:58 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Brian" wrote in message
om...

Furthermore, if the US government wants to give all prospective
amateurs 3 hots and a cot, and a paycheck, for the duration it takes
to learn the code, I'd gladly enroll in the CG Morse Code school.

There's one problem ... there IS no CG Morse Code school any
more ... the services are NOT teaching their radiomen Morse any
more. My youngest son is in Navy EOD ... on notch below the
SEALS (which he qualified for 100% except for being just barely
over the line on their perfect uncorrected vision requirement) ... and
he NEVER learned Morse ... despite the fact that his MOS is
"Radioman."

Carl - wk3c

Old September 30th 03, 05:12 PM
N2EY

"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
(Hans K0HB) wrote in message

. com...
"N2EY" wrote

1) Back in '78, the students learned Morse Code as part of their CG

training,
so there was no other training needed for them to get Extra Class

amateur
licenses. Today, they would need to put in some of their own time, and

a bit of
effort, learning Morse at 5 wpm for that test.

You know Jim, the more I ponder this paragraph, the more I think you
may just have hit on an important way of grading the dedication (and
therefore "value") of any given amateur licensee.

Well, that wasn't my intent at all. I was merely pointing out that for
some folks, getting a license involves a lot of learning and the
related effort, while others already have the skills and knowledge.

The point is that licensing should be based on one's demonstration
of the required qualifications, no more, no less.

That's your point, Carl, not my point.

The original story told how, back in 1978, the whole class of CG folks
went down to FCC and became Extras, while today none of them did.

My point was simply that there are significant differences between the
1978 and 2003 situations, such as:

- the 1978 class was 'required' to take the test, and means provided
to do so (do you think they went on their own time? used their own
transportation? paid any fees?).

- the 1978 class had already learned all they needed to know to pass
the 1978 tests.

If someone already has the knowledge to pass the tests, fine.

You can't change that situation anyway.

There is no "value added" in "making them work for it"

Who said there was? The point is that the 1978 class had a completely
different situation from the 2003 class.

... if
they have the knowledge they are qualified, period.

So would you agree with Kim that anyone who can pass the required
tests should be allowed into the ARS?

(and likely
they worked for it or they wouldn't have the knowledge anyway,
so the logic of "making them work (more)" fails)

It is a fact of human nature that most people value a thing more if it
took some investment of themselves to acquire.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old September 30th 03, 10:16 PM
Alun Palmer

snip

It is a fact of human nature that most people value a thing more if it
took some investment of themselves to acquire.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think this is precisely why some people argue so vociferously for code
tesing despite the lack of any logical arguments for retaining it. That is
to say, they value it because it's hard instead of because it's necessary
(which it isn't!!!).

73 de Alun, N3KIP

Old September 30th 03, 11:27 PM
N2EY

(Brian) wrote in message . com...
"Carl R. Stevenson" wrote in message ...
"N2EY" wrote in message
om...
(Hans K0HB) wrote in message
[...]

There is no "value added" in "making them work for it" ... if
they have the knowledge they are qualified, period. (and likely
they worked for it or they wouldn't have the knowledge anyway,
so the logic of "making them work (more)" fails)

Carl - wk3c

Furthermore, if the US government wants to give all prospective
amateurs 3 hots and a cot, and a paycheck, for the duration it takes
to learn the code, I'd gladly enroll in the CG Morse Code school.

Thank you for illustrating my point so clearly, Brian.
Old October 1st 03, 12:47 AM
Mike Coslo

Alun Palmer wrote:

snip

It is a fact of human nature that most people value a thing more if it
took some investment of themselves to acquire.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think this is precisely why some people argue so vociferously for code
tesing despite the lack of any logical arguments for retaining it. That is
to say, they value it because it's hard instead of because it's necessary
(which it isn't!!!).

And here I agree with you, Alun. Now, where do we draw the knowledge line?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 1st 03, 01:27 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Hans K0HB" wrote in message
om...
(N2EY) wrote

It is a fact of human nature that most people value a thing more if it
took some investment of themselves to acquire.

Jim, you really need to retire this old mantra.

'It is a fact of human nature' that real people don't value a thing
based on it's 'investment' or 'cost', but rather based on the
usefulness, utility, comfort, satisfaction, or enjoyment that comes
from having it.

My amateur license cost me virtually nothing in terms of 'investment
of myself', and the curbs and gutters the city just installed at one
of my places cost me an $8,200 assessment. I value my amateur license
a LOT more than I value the city's new street curbing!

You invested your time, interest, and self in the amateur license. You
merely put money into the curbs and gutters. In the minds of many people,
the investment in your amateur license was far greater that your investment
in curbs and gutters.

The things that I value the very most quite honestly are literal gifts
which I have recieved without an ounce of 'investment' or 'cost' ---
the love of my wife, the smiles of my grandkids, the whisper of the
wind at sunset on Lake Vermilion, the conversation with an old friend,
or my healthy heart. I value all of these more than my homes, my RV,
my boat, or the QSL collection in the closet.

The love of your wife and all these things are not free and are not gifts.
A loving relationship requires a large and continuous investment of self
(not money) to endure and to be worth while. Each of the other items also
requires some type of investment from you that doesn't necessary involve
money.

Investment is not exclusively a monetary term.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 1st 03, 01:29 AM
N2EY

In article , Alun Palmer
writes:

snip

It is a fact of human nature that most people value a thing more if it
took some investment of themselves to acquire.

73 de Jim, N2EY

I think this is precisely why some people argue so vociferously for code
tesing despite the lack of any logical arguments for retaining it.

There are lots of logical arguments for retaining code testing. And lots of
logical arguments for getting rid of it.

Ultimately it comes down to people's opinions about what should and should not
be tested.

That is
to say, they value it because it's hard instead of because it's necessary
(which it isn't!!!).

That's right - it's certainly not hard!

73 de Jim, N2EY

New Web Forum Peter Homebrew 0 September 14th 04 10:07 PM
FYI: QRZ Forum - NCVEC Petition & Comments Old Dxer Policy 0 August 5th 03 02:22 PM
BPL interference - reply comments - YOUR ACTION REQUIRED Rob Kemp Policy 0 July 10th 03 07:09 AM