Old November 8th 03, 03:16 PM
Bill Sohl

"Steve Stone" wrote in message

New technology almost always has a downside for some group or groups.
Would you rather such advances not become reality?

No.. but how will we all pay for new toys if we are on the bread lines or
slicing baloney at Stop & Shop for a living ?

The point is that any industry is always at risk. There is no
guarnteed life expectancy for almost any endeaver. The PC has
knocked down the number of secretaries needed to support
engineering groups. The auto all but eliminated blacksmiths.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old November 8th 03, 03:20 PM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article k.net, "Bill
Sohl" writes:

SNIP

There is equipment out there that operates at 1.6 Terrabits/sec.

lessee...10^12 bits/second...that's more than all of the RF spectrum
normally used for radio, right? And that's through *one* fiber that's
immune to EM fields, weather, ionospheric and tropospheric
propagation, EMI and almost everything else except shovels.

Now that's cool.

But it does have a downside. It permits a significant number of US
jobs to be outsourced to places like India (or anywhere else that has
a significant English-speaking population).

New technology almost always has a downside for some group or groups.
Would you rather such advances not become reality?

Not at all - but I'd rather have it that the downsides be explored more
thoroughly *before* they occur.

Surely you jest. Some company or person(s) develope a new
technology, invention, whatever...and you expect them to hold off
bringing that new whatever to market so the negative impacts to
other industries, groups, etc can first be studied?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old November 8th 03, 04:10 PM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:

Surely you jest. Some company or person(s) develope a new
technology, invention, whatever...and you expect them to hold off
bringing that new whatever to market so the negative impacts to
other industries, groups, etc can first be studied?

You mean like............DDT? Thalidomide?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 8th 03, 05:54 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
link.net...

"Steve Stone" wrote in message

New technology almost always has a downside for some group or groups.
Would you rather such advances not become reality?

No.. but how will we all pay for new toys if we are on the bread lines

or
slicing baloney at Stop & Shop for a living ?

The point is that any industry is always at risk. There is no
guarnteed life expectancy for almost any endeaver. The PC has
knocked down the number of secretaries needed to support
engineering groups. The auto all but eliminated blacksmiths.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

But each also created new work. If the worker was smart enough to see it
coming, they started preparing for the new application before it totally
killed off the old. We may not have blacksmiths but the body shops keep
pretty busy.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 9th 03, 02:23 AM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:20:47 GMT, Bill Sohl wrote:

Surely you jest. Some company or person(s) develope a new
technology, invention, whatever...and you expect them to hold off
bringing that new whatever to market so the negative impacts to
other industries, groups, etc can first be studied?

Consider the consequemces if they don't.

I had the eyesight in one eye restored with an experimental
medication used in a very high tech procedure that was Phase 2 of a
study for FDA procedure approval. If the company that manufactured
the medication and proposed the procedure had not been required to
do Phase 1 (medication safety test) or indeed the entire approval
study first, what would have happened had the medication not proved
safe to use in the first place (permanent blindness, I was told).

In our field, consider the effects of headlong approval of BPL on
spectrum usability. Full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes.

Yes, Bill, I am 100% in favor of defining and eliminating or at least
guarding against the downsides before running off to market a la
Micro$**t Windows junk.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old November 9th 03, 02:23 AM
Phil Kane

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:16:15 GMT, Bill Sohl wrote:

The point is that any industry is always at risk. There is no
guarnteed life expectancy for almost any endeaver. The PC has
knocked down the number of secretaries needed to support
engineering groups.

And created an equal demand for CAD operators who also replaced
drafters.

The auto all but eliminated blacksmiths.

And created an equal demand for "mechanics" who today are called
"technicians".

Same folks doing the same work......

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old November 9th 03, 03:18 AM
Bill Sohl

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
. ..
Bill Sohl wrote:

Surely you jest. Some company or person(s) develope a new
technology, invention, whatever...and you expect them to hold off
bringing that new whatever to market so the negative impacts to
other industries, groups, etc can first be studied?

You mean like............DDT? Thalidomide?

The "negative impacts" I mentioned were not intented to include
health or life threatening side effects. The discussion has been around
"negative
impacts" in the area of job displaceents and/or industries failing.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old November 9th 03, 03:24 AM
Bill Sohl

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
et...
[...]

The discussion has been on the economic downsides (jobs lost, industries
driven out of existence), not on bonafide health, life, or illegal
interference issues.

Another example. Would you have held back on digital photography
because it is negatively impacting the print film camera industry?

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old November 9th 03, 03:35 AM
N2EY

In article , "Phil Kane"
writes:

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:16:15 GMT, Bill Sohl wrote:

The point is that any industry is always at risk. There is no
guarnteed life expectancy for almost any endeaver. The PC has
knocked down the number of secretaries needed to support
engineering groups.

And created an equal demand for CAD operators who also replaced
drafters.

I don't think it's an equal demand. In most cases, a good CAD op can turn out
the same work faster than an equally skilled manual drafter. This is
particularly true if an existing drawing can be modified rather than drawing
from scratch.

When I started in the design office at (undisclosed former employer), all work
was by hand drafting. Now, in that industry, it is all CAD work - even to the
point that the old linen tracings are usually scanned and treated as CAD files.

And that's for plain old 2D electrical/electronic stuff. The mechanical and
architectural folks are the big shots in that department.

The auto all but eliminated blacksmiths.

And created an equal demand for "mechanics" who today are called
"technicians".

Which title they deserve, considering the level of technology they have to take
care of.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 9th 03, 04:31 PM
Phil Kane

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:24:40 GMT, Bill Sohl wrote:

Another example. Would you have held back on digital photography
because it is negatively impacting the print film camera industry?

Not when the leaders in the print film camera industry are some of
the heavy hitters in the digital photography industry.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon