Old October 11th 03, 05:30 PM
N2EY

Default DXers Of The Past (Was YASME makes her final port 'o call)

In article , Dick Carroll
writes:

N2EY wrote:
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

W9WNV

AARGH!!. . never mind . .

The story about the card table and folding chair on Maria Theresa......

W6AM

W6AM tale: My second transmitter was a $29.95 Heathkit AT-1 I'd
cobbled together. The only FT-243 xtal I owned was 7.060. Xtals were
EXPENSIVE boy!

$3 each new. Which translates to maybe $30 today.

Which when doubled put me on 14.120. Kinda useless freq
for dxing so I had to really scrounge for contacts. CQ, CQ, CQ, CQ ad
infinitum after school with all 3-5 watts of RF out or whatever it
was. Finally a CT1 found me and we latched up for several days
running. After some number of days another station called out of
nowhere, it was W6AM mobile running CW from his car. So 14.120 got to
be a three-way round table around 5pm Eastern Time for days on end. At
the time I had no idea who W6AM actually was except that his name was
Don and he was a really neat guy. I have a W6AM card.

Great story!

W6AM was one of the first hams to go mobile, back when FCC first issued

special
"ZZ" licenses. He held the special call W6ZZAM for such work.

Didja look around that site and see the aerial map of his rhombics? Scary.

OH2BH

OH2BH/ZA. Tally ho!!

OH To Be Him!

7. W. Gerry Mathis, W3GM

Yeah, Gerry W3BES/W3GM. The radio god in these parts, my all-time
great mentor. EVERYBODY'S mentor, that's the way he was. I yakked with
Gerry on the club machine one day then found out he passed away two
days later. Dredge up QSTs from the late '40s and early '50s and check
the glossy back cover RCA power tubes division ads for a look at Gerry
himself and the collection of the gorgeous monster amps he designed
and built.

Classic "cans on the temples" pose, too. Still a legend in these parts.

What kinda goofy list is this anyway??

Good question.

73 de Jim, N2EY

That post belongs on the Ham History list

Which post - mine or W3RV's?

73 de Jim, N2EY