Old October 20th 03, 01:10 AM
Robert Casey

Alun Palmer wrote:

The question is, does this now mean we can say the F word on ham radio?

No f*cking way I'm going to say the f*cking f-word on f*cking ham radio!

:-)

Old October 20th 03, 02:39 AM
CW

Since the FCC is the governing authority, yes you can. Not recommended
though. Just because a government agency says its OK doesn't make it right.

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message
Jack wrote in
:

The question is, does this now mean we can say the F word on ham radio?

Old October 20th 03, 11:29 AM
N2EY

In article l1Hkb.594208$Oz4.583860@rwcrnsc54, "CW"
writes:

Since the FCC is the governing authority, yes you can.

Actually, the fact that FCC says something is OK for broadcasting doesn't mean
they say it's OK for amateur radio. Because the two are different services, FCC
can have different rules of what they allow.

Not recommended
though. Just because a government agency says its OK doesn't make it right.

Agreed!

"Alun Palmer" wrote in message
.. .
Jack wrote in
:

The question is, does this now mean we can say the F word on ham radio?

I wouldn't.

One argument FCC can use to defend the "different rules" thing is that
broadcasting works to a published schedule and the shows are rated in advance.
If you tune in Howard Stern on the radio or the Victoria's Secret Xmas special
on TV, you have a pretty good idea of what you'll hear/see. But on ham radio
there's no schedule, no program guide and no advance ratings.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old October 21st 03, 01:55 AM
Robert Casey

N2EY wrote:

One argument FCC can use to defend the "different rules" thing is that
broadcasting works to a published schedule and the shows are rated in advance.
If you tune in Howard Stern on the radio or the Victoria's Secret Xmas special
on TV, you have a pretty good idea of what you'll hear/see. But on ham radio
there's no schedule, no program guide and no advance ratings.

Used to be, if you were in LA and tuned in 147.435, one could expect to
hear similar
material. Not that I agree with the existence of such on a ham band,
but it was there.

Old October 21st 03, 10:22 PM
N2EY

Robert Casey wrote in message ...
N2EY wrote:

One argument FCC can use to defend the "different rules" thing is that
broadcasting works to a published schedule and the shows are rated in advance.
If you tune in Howard Stern on the radio or the Victoria's Secret Xmas special
on TV, you have a pretty good idea of what you'll hear/see. But on ham radio
there's no schedule, no program guide and no advance ratings.

Used to be, if you were in LA and tuned in 147.435, one could expect to
hear similar
material. Not that I agree with the existence of such on a ham band,
but it was there.

But was it on a published schedule?

Some may consider it a double standard, but the fact is that FCC can
and does have different standards for different services. At least
part of this is due to the ability of broadcasters to spend millions
fighting lawsuits. But the prime argument is the 'complaint rate': If
Mr. Stern says something that causes, say, 400 people to complain to
the FCC, Infinity Broadcasting can say to FCC: "40 million (or
whatever) people listen to Howard and only 400 complained? That's 1 in
100,000 listeners!" What amateur who does the same sort of thing on
the air can make that sort of claim and back it up with real numbers?

73 de Jim, N2EY