RadioBanter

-   -   Important Research at TAPR (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/27079-important-research-tapr.html)

charlesb November 13th 03 01:49 PM

Important Research at TAPR

According to the latest TAPR "Packet Status Register", thier quarterly
newsletter, the folks at TAPR have discovered that they are adrift, with no
purpose and direction to guide their activities. As is often the case, the
"leadership" at TAPR were the last ones to acknowlege a situation that hams
have been noticing and remarking upon for over a decade.

It appears the TAPR BoD put their heads together, discussed the question
thoroughly, and discovered that they still had no idea as to what TAPR is
supposed to be doing. At last they threw up thier hands and hired somebody
to investigate - To try to determine what TAPR might be good for.

"Uh, TAPR does technical stuff." was the conclusion the investigator
returned.

It is revealing that during the entire article describing the confusion and
debate as to what TAPR might be good for and the "answer" thier investigator
eventually turned up, the words "packet radio" were never even mentioned.

That's right; At no time did anybody in the TAPR organization or the
investigator they hired mention the words "packet radio" while working to
solve the mystery as to what TAPR might be good for. Those words also are
lacking in the investigator's conclusion, "Uh, TAPR does technical stuff."

- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net
http://www.uspacket.net

Brian November 13th 03 11:51 PM

"charlesb" wrote in message om...
[...]

Chuck, I'm not so sure about that.

The official mouthpiece for the ARS in the USA just published
(December 2003, pg 77), "The Best (ARRL/TAPR) DCC (Digital
Communications Conference) EVER!"

Shirley you misread the Packet Status Register.

Brian

charlesb November 14th 03 02:44 AM

"Brian" wrote in message
om...

Shirley you misread the Packet Status Register.

It's online... Read it for yourself. They ALWAYS say the last CC was "the
best one ever".

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

D. Stussy November 14th 03 06:10 AM

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
According to the latest TAPR ...

- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

A more important question: Why do you think WE care?

charlesb November 14th 03 09:18 AM

"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

A more important question: Why do you think WE care?

Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Brian November 14th 03 11:11 AM

"charlesb" wrote in message .. .
"Brian" wrote in message
om...

Shirley you misread the Packet Status Register.

It's online... Read it for yourself.

But, but... both of them can't be right!

They ALWAYS say the last CC was "the
best one ever".

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Or my favorite, "A good time was had by all."

D. Stussy November 16th 03 12:49 PM

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

A more important question: Why do you think WE care?

Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.

I don't dispute that. However, there are plenty of packet operators who also
know that TAPR has been a non-functional group long before a decade ago. What
you posted isn't news to anyone (nor does it really belong on the "policy"
group - there are packet specific groups).

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you are and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.

charlesb November 16th 03 03:57 PM

"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...

A more important question: Why do you think WE care?

Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are

thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.

I don't dispute that. However, there are plenty of packet operators who

also
know that TAPR has been a non-functional group long before a decade ago.

What
you posted isn't news to anyone (nor does it really belong on the "policy"
group - there are packet specific groups).

There you go again, assuming that your screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania. Maybe you should mention this to your
physician.

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you are

and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.

Hey, I'm just reporting a bit of news that not everyone may have been aware
of. You'd be amazed how many hams think of TAPR as a packet radio
organization, even in the ARRL. That's the extent of the significance of my
post.

Code/No-Code has no place in a "policy" newsgroup either, but guess what?

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

D. Stussy November 17th 03 02:32 AM

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...

[...]

If you bothered to do any research, you would know that it's not just my
opinion, but the opinion of almost every packeteer in my region. It's common
knowledge that we ALL know, and have known for years (in excess of a decade).

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you are

and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.

Hey, I'm just reporting a bit of news that not everyone may have been aware
of. You'd be amazed how many hams think of TAPR as a packet radio
organization, even in the ARRL. That's the extent of the significance of my
post.

But it's not news. It's been known for years. If this is new to you, then you
need to get out from under your rock more often and look around. However, I'm
certain that others will agree with me; we'd just assume that you don't come out
at all because you (along with a few others) never seem to have anything
worthwhile to say (and/or nothing that anyone wants to listen to).

Code/No-Code has no place in a "policy" newsgroup either, but guess what?

Actually, as it relates to the rules and testing, it does belong in the policy
group. Policy is often reflected in the rules.

charlesb November 17th 03 03:09 AM

"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...

[...]

There you go again... Yep, after three in a row I'd say it's definately a
case of meglomania. I think they make a new drug for that, maybe you should
ask your physician.

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as

yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you

are
and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.

Hey, I'm just reporting a bit of news that not everyone may have been

aware
of. You'd be amazed how many hams think of TAPR as a packet radio
organization, even in the ARRL. That's the extent of the significance of

my
post.

But it's not news. It's been known for years.

Not really. The events I described in the post were reported in the last
TAPR PSR, concerning actions of the TAPR BoD last month, not ten years ago.
Everybody else figured out that TAPR was adrift ten years ago as you say,
but the TAPR BoD only figured it out recently. They're a little slow, but
they finally figured it out.

That was the story. I don't see how you could have failed to be amused by
their antics, actually appointing somebody to uncover the mystery of what
TAPR is good for. The BoD put their heads together and tried, but they
couldn't figure it out for themselves.

Now that's entertainment! Don't tell me that you didn't get a giggle out of
all that!

If this is new to you, then you
need to get out from under your rock more often and look around. However,

I'm
certain that others will agree with me; we'd just assume that you don't

come out
at all because you (along with a few others) never seem to have anything
worthwhile to say (and/or nothing that anyone wants to listen to).

Blah blah blah; Ya Ya Yah. Whatever. Twenty-three skidoo, back on you. Nya
nyah!

Code/No-Code has no place in a "policy" newsgroup either, but guess

what?

Actually, as it relates to the rules and testing, it does belong in the

policy
group. Policy is often reflected in the rules.

Yes, and TAPR has mistakenly been viewed as the "National Packet
Organization" by the ARRL and most average hams for quite some time,
adversely affecting policy regarding digital modes and packet radio.

Unfortunately, your meglomanaical view that everybody in the world agrees
with whatever you happen to be thinking is not supported by the evidence. In
fact, opinions among hams tend to vary quite a bit, on any number of
subjects.

Crawl out from under your rock, OM; Take a look around! :-p

For those of you who are unfamiliar with D. Stussy, he is a bit of a
curiosity... A hardcore "LandLine Lid" who doesn't like TAPR... That is
most unusual, because the whole idea of being a LandLine Lid was more or
less invented at TAPR, and most LandLine Lids (digital) identify strongly
with the organization. After all, the Internet is the latest advance in the
art of radio, right?

LandLine Lid: Hams who communicate over the Internet and pretend that it is
amateur radio.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL