Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old November 13th 03, 01:49 PM
charlesb
 
Posts: n/a
Default Important Research at TAPR

According to the latest TAPR "Packet Status Register", thier quarterly
newsletter, the folks at TAPR have discovered that they are adrift, with no
purpose and direction to guide their activities. As is often the case, the
"leadership" at TAPR were the last ones to acknowlege a situation that hams
have been noticing and remarking upon for over a decade.

It appears the TAPR BoD put their heads together, discussed the question
thoroughly, and discovered that they still had no idea as to what TAPR is
supposed to be doing. At last they threw up thier hands and hired somebody
to investigate - To try to determine what TAPR might be good for.

"Uh, TAPR does technical stuff." was the conclusion the investigator
returned.

It is revealing that during the entire article describing the confusion and
debate as to what TAPR might be good for and the "answer" thier investigator
eventually turned up, the words "packet radio" were never even mentioned.

That's right; At no time did anybody in the TAPR organization or the
investigator they hired mention the words "packet radio" while working to
solve the mystery as to what TAPR might be good for. Those words also are
lacking in the investigator's conclusion, "Uh, TAPR does technical stuff."

- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net
http://www.uspacket.net





  #2   Report Post  
Old November 13th 03, 11:51 PM
Brian
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"charlesb" wrote in message om...
According to the latest TAPR "Packet Status Register", thier quarterly
newsletter, the folks at TAPR have discovered that they are adrift, with no
purpose and direction to guide their activities. As is often the case, the
"leadership" at TAPR were the last ones to acknowlege a situation that hams
have been noticing and remarking upon for over a decade.

It appears the TAPR BoD put their heads together, discussed the question
thoroughly, and discovered that they still had no idea as to what TAPR is
supposed to be doing. At last they threw up thier hands and hired somebody
to investigate - To try to determine what TAPR might be good for.

"Uh, TAPR does technical stuff." was the conclusion the investigator
returned.

It is revealing that during the entire article describing the confusion and
debate as to what TAPR might be good for and the "answer" thier investigator
eventually turned up, the words "packet radio" were never even mentioned.

That's right; At no time did anybody in the TAPR organization or the
investigator they hired mention the words "packet radio" while working to
solve the mystery as to what TAPR might be good for. Those words also are
lacking in the investigator's conclusion, "Uh, TAPR does technical stuff."

- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net
http://www.uspacket.net



Chuck, I'm not so sure about that.

The official mouthpiece for the ARS in the USA just published
(December 2003, pg 77), "The Best (ARRL/TAPR) DCC (Digital
Communications Conference) EVER!"

Shirley you misread the Packet Status Register.

Brian
  #3   Report Post  
Old November 14th 03, 02:44 AM
charlesb
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Brian" wrote in message
om...

Shirley you misread the Packet Status Register.


It's online... Read it for yourself. They ALWAYS say the last CC was "the
best one ever".

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


  #4   Report Post  
Old November 14th 03, 06:10 AM
D. Stussy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
According to the latest TAPR ...

- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


A more important question: Why do you think WE care?
  #5   Report Post  
Old November 14th 03, 09:18 AM
charlesb
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


A more important question: Why do you think WE care?


Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL




  #6   Report Post  
Old November 14th 03, 11:11 AM
Brian
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"charlesb" wrote in message .. .
"Brian" wrote in message
om...

Shirley you misread the Packet Status Register.


It's online... Read it for yourself.


But, but... both of them can't be right!

They ALWAYS say the last CC was "the
best one ever".

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


Or my favorite, "A good time was had by all."
  #7   Report Post  
Old November 16th 03, 12:49 PM
D. Stussy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...
On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
- So why do some people think of TAPR as a packet radio organization?

TAPR doesn't.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


A more important question: Why do you think WE care?


Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.


I don't dispute that. However, there are plenty of packet operators who also
know that TAPR has been a non-functional group long before a decade ago. What
you posted isn't news to anyone (nor does it really belong on the "policy"
group - there are packet specific groups).

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you are and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.
  #8   Report Post  
Old November 16th 03, 03:57 PM
charlesb
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...

A more important question: Why do you think WE care?


Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are

thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.


I don't dispute that. However, there are plenty of packet operators who

also
know that TAPR has been a non-functional group long before a decade ago.

What
you posted isn't news to anyone (nor does it really belong on the "policy"
group - there are packet specific groups).


There you go again, assuming that your screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania. Maybe you should mention this to your
physician.


The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you are

and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.


Hey, I'm just reporting a bit of news that not everyone may have been aware
of. You'd be amazed how many hams think of TAPR as a packet radio
organization, even in the ARRL. That's the extent of the significance of my
post.

Code/No-Code has no place in a "policy" newsgroup either, but guess what?

Charles Brabham, N5PVL



  #9   Report Post  
Old November 17th 03, 02:32 AM
D. Stussy
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...

A more important question: Why do you think WE care?

Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are

thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.


I don't dispute that. However, there are plenty of packet operators who

also
know that TAPR has been a non-functional group long before a decade ago.

What
you posted isn't news to anyone (nor does it really belong on the "policy"
group - there are packet specific groups).


There you go again, assuming that your screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania. Maybe you should mention this to your
physician.


If you bothered to do any research, you would know that it's not just my
opinion, but the opinion of almost every packeteer in my region. It's common
knowledge that we ALL know, and have known for years (in excess of a decade).

The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL


And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you are

and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.


Hey, I'm just reporting a bit of news that not everyone may have been aware
of. You'd be amazed how many hams think of TAPR as a packet radio
organization, even in the ARRL. That's the extent of the significance of my
post.


But it's not news. It's been known for years. If this is new to you, then you
need to get out from under your rock more often and look around. However, I'm
certain that others will agree with me; we'd just assume that you don't come out
at all because you (along with a few others) never seem to have anything
worthwhile to say (and/or nothing that anyone wants to listen to).

Code/No-Code has no place in a "policy" newsgroup either, but guess what?


Actually, as it relates to the rules and testing, it does belong in the policy
group. Policy is often reflected in the rules.
  #10   Report Post  
Old November 17th 03, 03:09 AM
charlesb
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...
On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, charlesb wrote:
"D. Stussy" wrote in message
. org...

A more important question: Why do you think WE care?

Another mental case who thinks that his screwed-up opinion

represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania.

Sorry to be the one to have break it to you, "D.", but there are

thousands
of packet radio operators in the U.S. who DO care about the hobby.

I don't dispute that. However, there are plenty of packet operators

who
also
know that TAPR has been a non-functional group long before a decade

ago.
What
you posted isn't news to anyone (nor does it really belong on the

"policy"
group - there are packet specific groups).


There you go again, assuming that your screwed-up opinion represents
everybody else's thinking.

They call that - meglomania. Maybe you should mention this to your
physician.


If you bothered to do any research, you would know that it's not just my
opinion, but the opinion of almost every packeteer in my region. It's

common
knowledge that we ALL know, and have known for years (in excess of a

decade).

There you go again... Yep, after three in a row I'd say it's definately a
case of meglomania. I think they make a new drug for that, maybe you should
ask your physician.


The nastygram opinions of disruptive, anti-ham jerkoffs such as

yourself
have no significance whatsoever.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL

And you do? By starting this thread, you have proved only that you

are
and
shall always remain a legend in your own mind.


Hey, I'm just reporting a bit of news that not everyone may have been

aware
of. You'd be amazed how many hams think of TAPR as a packet radio
organization, even in the ARRL. That's the extent of the significance of

my
post.


But it's not news. It's been known for years.


Not really. The events I described in the post were reported in the last
TAPR PSR, concerning actions of the TAPR BoD last month, not ten years ago.
Everybody else figured out that TAPR was adrift ten years ago as you say,
but the TAPR BoD only figured it out recently. They're a little slow, but
they finally figured it out.

That was the story. I don't see how you could have failed to be amused by
their antics, actually appointing somebody to uncover the mystery of what
TAPR is good for. The BoD put their heads together and tried, but they
couldn't figure it out for themselves.

Now that's entertainment! Don't tell me that you didn't get a giggle out of
all that!

If this is new to you, then you
need to get out from under your rock more often and look around. However,

I'm
certain that others will agree with me; we'd just assume that you don't

come out
at all because you (along with a few others) never seem to have anything
worthwhile to say (and/or nothing that anyone wants to listen to).


Blah blah blah; Ya Ya Yah. Whatever. Twenty-three skidoo, back on you. Nya
nyah!


Code/No-Code has no place in a "policy" newsgroup either, but guess

what?

Actually, as it relates to the rules and testing, it does belong in the

policy
group. Policy is often reflected in the rules.


Yes, and TAPR has mistakenly been viewed as the "National Packet
Organization" by the ARRL and most average hams for quite some time,
adversely affecting policy regarding digital modes and packet radio.

Unfortunately, your meglomanaical view that everybody in the world agrees
with whatever you happen to be thinking is not supported by the evidence. In
fact, opinions among hams tend to vary quite a bit, on any number of
subjects.

Crawl out from under your rock, OM; Take a look around! :-p

For those of you who are unfamiliar with D. Stussy, he is a bit of a
curiosity... A hardcore "LandLine Lid" who doesn't like TAPR... That is
most unusual, because the whole idea of being a LandLine Lid was more or
less invented at TAPR, and most LandLine Lids (digital) identify strongly
with the organization. After all, the Internet is the latest advance in the
art of radio, right?

LandLine Lid: Hams who communicate over the Internet and pretend that it is
amateur radio.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL




Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Important Research at TAPR charlesb Digital 26 November 16th 03 09:22 PM
Important Research at TAPR charlesb Digital 0 November 13th 03 01:24 PM
Anyone have mid 1960s Spiegel catalogs? (radio history research project) K5DH Boatanchors 0 November 7th 03 01:40 PM
Anyone have mid 1960s Spiegel catalogs? (radio history research project) K5DH Equipment 0 November 7th 03 01:40 PM
Using ham bands for educational / research project Leo Szumel Policy 23 August 3rd 03 04:06 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 RadioBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Radio"

 

Copyright © 2017